Agents obligation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents obligation.

I am supposed to have my property on full management ,but things are not been dealt with by the agent ,gas checks,repairs reported,not chasing tenant for rent arrears,pet in property,dog poo all over the joint yard.I have now dealt with repairs,gas myself and instructed tenants to ring me over any issues,which they are happy to do as each complained about the agent.Question at what point does an agent on full management walk away from dealing with rent arrears ,when they put the tenant in ,and simply said evict and sat back for 4 months .Full management is it worth it,Ive taken over because things were not getting done or checked.Do you have reason to complain ,One example for 3 months I was told a tenant had been asked for gas check,why did I ring once to the tenant with appointment day and check done.I just wonder how many landlords do check that their agents are carrying out the required checks etc.

I check that my agent is doing what they're meant to.

Not that actively (because over time I've come to trust their own diary system).
    But I know when each property Gas Safety and EPC expire and check they're charging me for them at the right time.
    I know which properties they're meant to be inspecting and roughly when, so I check that I see the reports.
    I know which properties/tenants I'm never going to hear from and which I would expect to be in touch more frequently.

Agents are a bit expensive when nothing happens, but worth the money when three lots of central heating "break" in October.

The only thing I don't let anyone else do is manage tenant's deposits.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reasonable time responding to complaints
      by As3455
      Hello,

I know for official complaints it’s an 8 week deadline but wondering if there’s a similar expectation for complaints dealt within branch?

I’ve made some complaints to a property manager. It’s been 5 working days and all I’ve received is a response acknowledging...
      08-08-2020, 06:46 AM
    • Reply to Reasonable time responding to complaints
      by Beswick
      I wrote a 2-page letter of complaint to the last agent I used and delivered it by hand to a senior member of staff at the office. No reply whatsoever. Ended up using the redress scheme after waiting 8 weeks.
      08-08-2020, 07:58 AM
    • Reply to Reasonable time responding to complaints
      by theartfullodger
      Follow the agent's complaints process, when that fails use the letting agent redress scheme. Look the scheme up!
      08-08-2020, 07:19 AM
    • poor management service
      by hsa1
      We are paying a management service an annual fee to look after some properties.
      1. Three months out of 6 months so far we have had to chase up reason for rent not being transferred to us
      2. they cant get hold of trade to fix problems in the flats, and if they do they are overpriced or delayed...
      06-08-2020, 12:30 PM
    • Reply to poor management service
      by hsa1
      good point, didnt think about all the information and records they have for the current tenants, i was thinking of leaving them after 6 months but that may be hassle. thank you...
      07-08-2020, 22:02 PM
      by jpkeates
      The issue with any letting agent who provides poor service is that they pretty much have the upper hand in a practical sense.
      They usually have the deposit and all the evidence you'd need to evict the tenant.
      And their landlord agreements are usually quite hard to extricate yourself from....
      06-08-2020, 15:48 PM
      by hsa1
      before, its at a substantially lower fee than i could find elsewher, around 6% per property fully managed. But as the saying goes....
      06-08-2020, 14:31 PM
      by jpkeates
      Don't do this again.

Was this before or since we had the plague?...
      06-08-2020, 12:38 PM
    • Terminating full management service agent
      by Crmk
      Hi - my tenant left in Two months ago and my existing full service Letting and management agent has not been able to generate many viewings (perhaps 2-3 since) A couple of questions:
      1. I checked our contract and there is no notice period. Does that mean I can invite other agents to help me market...
      04-08-2020, 23:41 PM
    • Reply to Terminating full management service agent
      by jpkeates
      That's very unusual, usually letting agent's landlords agreements are very difficult to extricate oneself from.

On a practical level, I can't see them sorting out any issues relating to the previous tenancy if there's no more income likely.
      05-08-2020, 11:12 AM
    Working...
    X