X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aoe
    started a topic Poor property management

Poor property management

I recently let go property managers because of several lapses and poor service to tenants etc .
    What do I do with tenants until their lease expires?

• JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by aoe View Post
    s21 how is that served as just a warning ?
    You don't follow it with a possession order?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by aoe View Post
    I recently let go property managers because of several lapses and poor service to tenants etc .
    What do I do with tenants until their lease expires?
    Sincerely hope you got copies of ALL paperwork (tenancy, references, inventory, photos, deposit protection, proof of service of PI etc etc etc) first. If not agents are unlikely to be helpful now.

(Unless tenancy names landlord as agent - does it) the contract is between you & tenants: Carry on as normal, no reason for a rent reduction. In your shoes I would send a calm polite letter with proof you are owner (eg copy of land registry deeds) to tenants, apologise for previous bad management & ask for a meeting to chat about any issues, repairs etc, giving your contact details (address, email, 'phone, bank details etc..).

When meeting for 1st time in these circumstances I'd take a bottle of wine & some flowers, smile, be friendly & let them do most of the talking and then move on from there.

It may be agents have told them things which are not 100% true....

Leave a comment:

• aoe
    replied
    s21 how is that served as just a warning ? Yes I would be willing to consider a reduction and give them early termination with no penalty, we want to get the property up to standards again . Letting company was fired for several lapses and causes , the contract does not specifically state fees after termination . Thanks

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Oh well if everything is now fixed, I might issue a s21 as a warning.

I guess you could afford a small reduction if you are now not paying management charges. However, you might want to check your contract with the agent to see if you still owe them yearly commission.

Leave a comment:

• aoe
    replied
    they asked for a rent reduction and threatened to call the council about lapses that were purely the responsibility of the management company . I reminded them that was why I fired the company, now they want to stay but I am not sure ??

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Get them to pay the rent direct to you?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• OpenRent vs. Visum
    John Duff
    Afternoon all.

I (hopefully) will have a property to let in the next month or so.

I listed it on Gumtree yesterday (as it's free). However, it has generated very little interest and I've only found it successful for finding migrant workers part subsidised by LHA in downtown...
    18-10-2019, 13:29 PM
  • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
    John Duff
    Good to know DPT57 but is the £29 option a truly no-strings advertise-only on Rightmove?
    18-10-2019, 19:22 PM
  • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
    DPT57
    I've used Openrent for the last few years for multiple properties. I agree that the 'rent now' option is a bid of an oddity and I don't know why they don't remove it from the site. I have to say though that in practice it has never been a problem for me as no-one has ever attempted that option with...
    18-10-2019, 16:18 PM
  • Letting Agents - Duty of Care
    kennyj52
    I'm wondering whether I have a case against my lettings agency in respect of the tenant they introduced to me who has turned out to have multiple outstanding CCJs, a prior eviction and is now 7 months in rent arrears. The lettings agency have been disappointing with the service they provided from the...
    09-12-2018, 22:35 PM
  • Reply to Letting Agents - Duty of Care
    kennyj52
    Thanks all for the advice and here is an update on my case against the agents. By the way, the tenant moved out voluntarily back in April, 2 days before the bailiffs arrived to enforce the eviction, so technically, I guess, she was "evicted"?

Following the agents offer in June...
    17-10-2019, 21:15 PM
  • Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
    DP10
    The estate agent lost all my keys to the back garden. I've since taken two quotes and paid a reputable locksmith to replace entirely new lock system (e.g high security grill locks on ground floor garden flat).

I never signed a contract with the estate agent but owe them 840 pounds for...
    15-10-2019, 10:35 AM
  • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
    jpkeates
    I think there was definitely a contract, signing it isn't essential (unless there is a written contract with terms that say that it isn't valid until signed).

You obviously have some kind of agreement, because the agent did things that show that they believed that you had retained their...
    17-10-2019, 08:57 AM
  • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
    DP10
    JP Keates: Thank you! If they can technically sue in light of UK Law and the incident is in tort, then perhaps I should rethink. I did request a call but I've not heard back from them. Perhaps I should initiate a call and come to an agreement where it's split 50:50? Perhaps I should wait a little...
    17-10-2019, 08:51 AM
    MdeB
    Why did agent have all the keys?
    Why did you not retain copies?

It seems to me that you were negligent and this contributed to the cost of rectifying the situation.

If it was the garden keys that were lost, why did you replace all locks?

Were the replacements...
    15-10-2019, 18:54 PM
  • Agent fee increase
    armour
    Hi All,
    I have been letting 2 properties with the same agency for 10 years and have always paid 9% on one and 10% on the other (plus VAT) for its services.
    Around 3 months ago, without warning, the agency began to charge 12.5% on the one which I had been paying 10% on. This happened at around...
    15-10-2019, 14:29 PM
Working...
X