Changing agents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing agents

I have a few properties let (amongst me and my siblings, but I tend to be the one who sorts things out). Three of them are let and managed by an agent as the original flat I gave them was a little far away from where I live. Since then, we acquired two other properties which are geographically a distance away from them, but they were happy to take on and manage for us.

I'm not unhappy with them, they do a reasonable job and it keeps me from having to drive long distances but I want to take two of the properties from them and give them to a friend of mine who has just opened an agency in the town the properties are in.

I'm quite happy to let them keep the one original flat, but I want to help my friend out and he's been a very good agent for a number of years.

Now, my question is surrounding giving the current agent notice but keeping the tenants who they introduced. I'm aware that it's contract dependent, but it's a little more complicated than that.

I signed an agency contract for the first flat (which was several years ago), but not for the subsequent two properties. In that original contract it states that to terminate the agreement with the agent I must give 7 days' notice and they reserve the right to charge me a cancellation fee of £375+vat.

I never signed anything new for the other two properties, so would you think that I am free just to tell them that I'm switching with immediate effect or is it likely to be assumed that the terms I agreed to for the original flat would hold good for the two newer properties?

NB. I've checked the contract and it doesn't say anything about the terms applying to other properties.

Unless you signed something to other effect, I think it reasonable to assume that agreements are per property not per client.

However - think carefully before entering into business agreements with friends.

Comment

yeah... I'd second AndrewDod on the business with friends advice esp as agents for your property. You need to maintain a completely impersonal view of your properties and the decisions you make with them... esp the tough ones... and you can't do that if your mate is your agent.

Even though you have no written contract, surely you have a verbal contract with the original LA. Would they not have grounds for a claim against you which would succeed if taken to court (when it would be those costs plus fees)?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How to submit evidence on Mcol?
        Gfl
        I submitted money claim via mcol because My formal LA withheld two and half months' rent. I did it online but couldn't find a place to submit my evidence. I am wondering if I need to submit evidence? if anyone here has mcol experience? How did you submit the evidence? Your help is very much appreciated....
        12-05-2018, 16:30 PM
      • Reply to How to submit evidence on Mcol?
        ash72
        Once the paperwork has been sent to the landlord, the landlord will have 14 days to respond with a defence and send it to the court, if they don't dispute the claim or raise a defence the judgement will be in your favour. Just out of interest, why are you going down this route, was the money not protected...
        11-07-2018, 11:32 AM
      • Experiences of Online agents?
        i-spark
        I currently let a property which has had a long term tenant for the last 6 years. I used an agent initailly but did all the repairs and stuff myself so ended up sorting direct with the tenant for the last 18 months which has been fine. Anyway, a situation has cropped up now where the tenant may be leaving...
        21-05-2018, 12:01 PM
      • Reply to Experiences of Online agents?
        ash72
        Depends on the service you want from a agent:

- Tenant finding only service (usually 1 months rent)
        - Fully managed service (usually 8%-12% of the rent, you will also need to leave between £500-£1200 as a kitty for them to carry out repairs etc, and you will need to agree on a level...
        11-07-2018, 11:26 AM
      • Advertising as a private landlord
        ashgrove
        I rent a residential property and have done for about 10 years now. I always used Rentify to advertise and then credit check tenants. However I have just logged in to find that they no longer cover anywhere other than London.

Does anyone know any cheap sites that advertise across the main...
        06-06-2018, 14:41 PM
      • Reply to Advertising as a private landlord
        ash72
        Just a heads up, openrent is good if your property is in a city, at getting prospective tenants to view the property. I've found that if your property is in a small town it's harder, especially if you have certain filters (smoking, pets etc) you wont get so many people coming through, that's when a...
        11-07-2018, 11:17 AM
      • Agent agrees rental price without consultation
        plentymech
        If an agent, for example, supplies a new tenant but agrees a lower price with them than what was advised to them and advertised without consulting the landlord beforehand, is there any legal standing the landlord can take in then event of a dispute when they notice a lower rent amount is being collected?...
        22-06-2018, 09:55 AM
      • Reply to Agent agrees rental price without consultation
        ash72
        What did you agree at the start, and what was the T&C's you signed in relation to your contract between them, usually an agent will show a prospective tenant around, then if the tenant negotiates a rental, the agent should then inform the landlord of the proposed rent and if you agree would then...
        11-07-2018, 11:10 AM
      • Agreement between landlord and agent
        HK13
        Hi I'm trying to find out if all joint landlords of a property need to sign the agreement with the estate agent when tenanting out a property, instead of any one of them.
        Just wondering if it would be legally binding if just one of the owners signed it. Any thoughts?...
        25-06-2018, 19:51 PM
      • Reply to Agreement between landlord and agent
        ash72
        You don't need to have the contracts signed by all, like a lead tenant, you can have a lead landlord, as signing on behalf of all the others.
        11-07-2018, 10:56 AM
      Working...
      X