Changing agents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing agents

I have a few properties let (amongst me and my siblings, but I tend to be the one who sorts things out). Three of them are let and managed by an agent as the original flat I gave them was a little far away from where I live. Since then, we acquired two other properties which are geographically a distance away from them, but they were happy to take on and manage for us.

I'm not unhappy with them, they do a reasonable job and it keeps me from having to drive long distances but I want to take two of the properties from them and give them to a friend of mine who has just opened an agency in the town the properties are in.

I'm quite happy to let them keep the one original flat, but I want to help my friend out and he's been a very good agent for a number of years.

Now, my question is surrounding giving the current agent notice but keeping the tenants who they introduced. I'm aware that it's contract dependent, but it's a little more complicated than that.

I signed an agency contract for the first flat (which was several years ago), but not for the subsequent two properties. In that original contract it states that to terminate the agreement with the agent I must give 7 days' notice and they reserve the right to charge me a cancellation fee of £375+vat.

I never signed anything new for the other two properties, so would you think that I am free just to tell them that I'm switching with immediate effect or is it likely to be assumed that the terms I agreed to for the original flat would hold good for the two newer properties?

NB. I've checked the contract and it doesn't say anything about the terms applying to other properties.

Unless you signed something to other effect, I think it reasonable to assume that agreements are per property not per client.

However - think carefully before entering into business agreements with friends.

Comment

yeah... I'd second AndrewDod on the business with friends advice esp as agents for your property. You need to maintain a completely impersonal view of your properties and the decisions you make with them... esp the tough ones... and you can't do that if your mate is your agent.

Even though you have no written contract, surely you have a verbal contract with the original LA. Would they not have grounds for a claim against you which would succeed if taken to court (when it would be those costs plus fees)?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Am I locked in to agency fees?
        SaurfLondonLad
        I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
        15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
      • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
        jpkeates
        Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

The agent's business model...
        16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
        ash72
        I'm sure a large lettings agency like foxton's doesn't want bad publicity and will be happy with a negotiated pay off, I would just stress that they are virtually doing nothing, only collecting the rent, which if it is a S/O then it's simple. Just out of interest if they are charging you 12% for not...
        15-01-2018, 23:00 PM
        SaurfLondonLad
        Thanks Ash, at present they collect the rent but I hope to do all myself, I will talk to the agency but signs are they will not budge. I have also considered terminating and new contracting the tenants, but under law surely they are still residing. I think the terms of the contract are unfair but given...
        15-01-2018, 22:13 PM
        ash72
        My advice is that if you talk with the agency and try to get out the contract or you pay them off at a mutually agreed amount (to compensate them, unfortunately).

Do they only offer you the service of collecting the rent each month? Are they the ones who hold the deposit as well, or did...
        15-01-2018, 21:45 PM
        RedHitman
        You self manage a property but also have an agent?
        If you’re managing the property, what is the agency doing?
        15-01-2018, 21:37 PM
      • Letting agent unhelpful in getting unpaid rent
        flyer22
        Hi all, my first post here, although I have been a Landlord for 5 years, I need some advice from more seasoned landlords.
        The last tenant moved in 6 months ago and not paid rent since. Apart from the deposit and first month rent, no money received. The property is fully managed by the LA who also...
        14-01-2018, 22:43 PM
      • Reply to Letting agent unhelpful in getting unpaid rent
        jpkeates
        You need to complain and go through the complete process (and get an unsatisfactory result) before the TPO will get involved.

The letting agent is not correct about the Data Protection Act meaning that they can't give you the tenant's data.
        Refer them to the Information Commissioner's...
        15-01-2018, 14:19 PM
        flyer22
        Thanks for your responses guys. First, sacking the agent is without a doubt. I am not renting the property and I decided to put it on the market for sale, yes it was the tipping point for me. I won't let their sales anywhere near selling the property either.
        I would be entitled to all of the deposit,...
        15-01-2018, 13:37 PM
        theartfullodger
        And start letting agent redress scheme complaint process:
        https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes
        Which requires you to go through the letting agent's complaints process 1st.

Can I just check, this is not some "guaranteed Rent" scheme/scam is it?...
        15-01-2018, 11:22 AM
      Working...
      X