Changing agents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing agents

I have a few properties let (amongst me and my siblings, but I tend to be the one who sorts things out). Three of them are let and managed by an agent as the original flat I gave them was a little far away from where I live. Since then, we acquired two other properties which are geographically a distance away from them, but they were happy to take on and manage for us.

I'm not unhappy with them, they do a reasonable job and it keeps me from having to drive long distances but I want to take two of the properties from them and give them to a friend of mine who has just opened an agency in the town the properties are in.

I'm quite happy to let them keep the one original flat, but I want to help my friend out and he's been a very good agent for a number of years.

Now, my question is surrounding giving the current agent notice but keeping the tenants who they introduced. I'm aware that it's contract dependent, but it's a little more complicated than that.

I signed an agency contract for the first flat (which was several years ago), but not for the subsequent two properties. In that original contract it states that to terminate the agreement with the agent I must give 7 days' notice and they reserve the right to charge me a cancellation fee of £375+vat.

I never signed anything new for the other two properties, so would you think that I am free just to tell them that I'm switching with immediate effect or is it likely to be assumed that the terms I agreed to for the original flat would hold good for the two newer properties?

NB. I've checked the contract and it doesn't say anything about the terms applying to other properties.

Unless you signed something to other effect, I think it reasonable to assume that agreements are per property not per client.

However - think carefully before entering into business agreements with friends.

Comment

yeah... I'd second AndrewDod on the business with friends advice esp as agents for your property. You need to maintain a completely impersonal view of your properties and the decisions you make with them... esp the tough ones... and you can't do that if your mate is your agent.

Even though you have no written contract, surely you have a verbal contract with the original LA. Would they not have grounds for a claim against you which would succeed if taken to court (when it would be those costs plus fees)?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Delete duplicate
        CandM
        Delete duplicate
        16-10-2018, 15:25 PM
      • Reply to Delete duplicate
        jpkeates
        Assuming you were the letting agent for the company, simply confirm that the deposit was sent to the company and give them the company information.

The company details are not covered by data protection regulations because they’re not a human being.

As that’s all you know,...
        16-10-2018, 15:56 PM
      • letting agent renting property to a sex offender.
        rresc06
        I own a property which I rented out through a letting agent. They put a tenant in (April 2015) which they managed for the first 18 months no problem. I then took over managing the letting. It then came to light the tenant was a registered sex offender he left the property August 2017. I have passed...
        05-10-2017, 11:31 AM
      • Can I rent out my leasehold flat?
        bonnyb1
        Hello,

I am having lots of problems in extending a lease on my flat at the moment (66 years left) so thinking of renting it out for a year while I go through the section 42/tribunal route but not sure if I am allowed.

I am going to to put some of the wording I have found within...
        11-10-2018, 16:35 PM
      • Reply to Can I rent out my leasehold flat?
        bonnyb1
        thank you for your reply
        12-10-2018, 11:50 AM
      • estate agents phone system query
        HP mum
        Very bizarre question here.
        I normally withhold my mobile number - especially when calling estate agents as I don't want them constantly then hounding me.
        That was exactly the case when I rang one estate agent recently - the one that we all love to hate!
        Yet, the receptionist said...
        02-10-2018, 13:37 PM
      • Reply to estate agents phone system query
        HP mum
        A receptionist would not know the sound of my voice nor would they have any 'normal' way of knowing who I am. My mobile contract allows me to withhold my number. Their system clearly has had something done to it!! Interesting?
        12-10-2018, 11:30 AM
      • Reply to Can I rent out my leasehold flat?
        leaseholder64
        Clause (3) is confusing, as seems to be a covenant by the lessor in a part of the lease defining a lessee's covenant.

Providing the rent is high enough (which it will be unless the rest of the lease is weird), you can sub-let to a single family, for the next 59 years. After that, you...
        11-10-2018, 17:46 PM
      • Fees
        Dino
        Would I be charged a fee if I cancel a letting agent contract before they find me a tennant, For viewings and advertising the property?

The contract was signed online and states I have 14 days to cancel.
        Thanks
        Dino...
        11-10-2018, 10:02 AM
      • Reply to Fees
        jpkeates
        It depends what the terms of the contract are.
        If they've done some work for you, they're likely to want to be paid something.
        11-10-2018, 13:20 PM
      Working...
      X