pipelining fee when contract change initiated by agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pipelining fee when contract change initiated by agent

LL/LA contract says "A fee of 1 month’s rent plus vat is payable where the landlord intends to continue letting to the tenants after termination of this agreement". The current tenants were found by the LA, fixed tenancy period is already over and currently running periodic tenancy. The LA sends letter to LL stating that the commission charged will increase by 1.5% in 5 week's time.
    If LL didn't agree to this increased commission, and the LA was not ready to withdraw the contract change, the contract automatically terminates in 5 weeks, I would have thought. However, is the LA now eligible for the pipelining/placement fee as the contract termination is initiated by LA and not the LL?

apologies, I meant "Pipeline commission"

Comment

I think the appropriate remedy would be not to have accepted such an abusive little nest of clauses at the start. It feels like an elephant trap.

However you are where you are.

Ok issues.

1 Does the LA have the right to increase the agreement at will? Or is there some sort of reasonability test attached?
      2 I am not convinced that an auto-termination-charge is OK when it is triggered by a refusal of a change to the contract, which afaik by definition requires your consent.

Remember that the LA is your agent, and you are the principal (whatever that means in your context).

My first strategy would be based on the tenancy not ending and therefore the LA not doing any extra work therefore the approx 10-15% increase being unreasonable. I might offer an inflation increase in their fee.

Or I might eventually offer some sort of termination payment once my advisers had told me it was valid, if I wanted to self-manage the tenant.

For advice I would consult my regular solicitor or subscribe to a service such as Tessa Sheppertons Landlord Law for one year and ask her.

M L
      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Thank you, M L.
        1. no provision for commission increase in the contract
        2. OK

The rental increase in between already gave the LA 'inflation increase'.. hence my resistance.
        Thank you for your pointers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Am I locked in to agency fees?
          SaurfLondonLad
          I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
          15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
        • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
          jpkeates
          Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

The agent's business model...
          16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
          ash72
          I'm sure a large lettings agency like foxton's doesn't want bad publicity and will be happy with a negotiated pay off, I would just stress that they are virtually doing nothing, only collecting the rent, which if it is a S/O then it's simple. Just out of interest if they are charging you 12% for not...
          15-01-2018, 23:00 PM
          SaurfLondonLad
          Thanks Ash, at present they collect the rent but I hope to do all myself, I will talk to the agency but signs are they will not budge. I have also considered terminating and new contracting the tenants, but under law surely they are still residing. I think the terms of the contract are unfair but given...
          15-01-2018, 22:13 PM
          ash72
          My advice is that if you talk with the agency and try to get out the contract or you pay them off at a mutually agreed amount (to compensate them, unfortunately).

Do they only offer you the service of collecting the rent each month? Are they the ones who hold the deposit as well, or did...
          15-01-2018, 21:45 PM
          RedHitman
          You self manage a property but also have an agent?
          If you’re managing the property, what is the agency doing?
          15-01-2018, 21:37 PM
        • Letting agent unhelpful in getting unpaid rent
          flyer22
          Hi all, my first post here, although I have been a Landlord for 5 years, I need some advice from more seasoned landlords.
          The last tenant moved in 6 months ago and not paid rent since. Apart from the deposit and first month rent, no money received. The property is fully managed by the LA who also...
          14-01-2018, 22:43 PM
        • Reply to Letting agent unhelpful in getting unpaid rent
          jpkeates
          You need to complain and go through the complete process (and get an unsatisfactory result) before the TPO will get involved.

The letting agent is not correct about the Data Protection Act meaning that they can't give you the tenant's data.
          Refer them to the Information Commissioner's...
          15-01-2018, 14:19 PM
          flyer22
          Thanks for your responses guys. First, sacking the agent is without a doubt. I am not renting the property and I decided to put it on the market for sale, yes it was the tipping point for me. I won't let their sales anywhere near selling the property either.
          I would be entitled to all of the deposit,...
          15-01-2018, 13:37 PM
          theartfullodger
          And start letting agent redress scheme complaint process:
          https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes
          Which requires you to go through the letting agent's complaints process 1st.

Can I just check, this is not some "guaranteed Rent" scheme/scam is it?...
          15-01-2018, 11:22 AM
        Working...
        X