Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property

Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

"We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

Should any clause like this be legally based or increase the landlord risk in any way.

I can't answer specifically but it seems to me that any clause in an underwriter's policy which you sign up to when you take out insurance would be "legally based" under contract law.

What kind of risks are you envisaging?

Comment

That looks like a very standards clause. For portable property, it stops you gaining extra money by selling it on Ebay. I think it is mainly for things that can or will be removed, but they would also want complete control of the site during any major rebuilding work.

Comment

My Policy wording says:

'Following a claim you must allow us or anyone authorised by us
        a access to premises
        b to take possession of,
        or request delivery to us of any property insured'
        Policy is based on the contract you have signed.

"I'll be back."

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• House insurance lessee responsibility
          ASB
          I recently bought a downstairs leasehold flat. It is a block of 8 flats, four along and 2 stories.The lease states that the leaseholder is responsible for ensuring the flat that has been insured and if this is not adequately done then the freeholder has the right to take out insurance and then charge...
          08-02-2018, 17:06 PM
        • Reply to House insurance lessee responsibility
          Gordon999
          Inside the Lease , the Agreement should cover the following items:

the front section should state :

the property address ,
          the name of lessor and lessee(s),
          the term of the lease ( 99 years or 125 years etc) and commencing date ,
          the ground rent payable and...
          19-02-2018, 05:19 AM
          ASB
          Many thanks for your response and I will follow this up with the FTT
          18-02-2018, 11:40 AM
        • Insurance for empty retail property
          kmach
          Can anyone suggest an insurance company which covers an empty retail property? I have a mixed used property and the commercial tenant has left recently so it's now empty. The residential bit is still tenanted. I have an insurance broker but they can't seem to find a company which offers cover for t...
          16-02-2018, 23:32 PM
        • Reply to Insurance for empty retail property
          JK0
          Have you tried NFU mutual?
          17-02-2018, 19:07 PM
          AndrewDod
          First Tier Tribunal

I would definitely take it to them. You can probably do it without legal assistance and with some studying.

I cannot see how a lease can oblige 8 individual lessees to insure their part of a building. That is simply not generally possible or feasible (although...
          17-02-2018, 16:04 PM
          ASB
          Hi Guys I have photographed the 2 pages over which clause m extends and it seems that the system will take it in this format. Let me know if it is sufficiently clear for you to assess, thanks Andrew...
          17-02-2018, 14:21 PM
          ASB
          Hi Guys, many thanks for your responses and sorry for delay in responding. I have been away. Can I ask what FTT is? (sorry, new to this) and I have scanned a copy of the lease, clause m, that I have but my photocopy misses out the words on one edge. If this is not okay I will have to try and get a...
          17-02-2018, 14:09 PM
        • Share of free hold and second leak
          LondonLandl0rd
          HI,

So if i have a repeated leak from a neighbour and it has been proven to be their fault, through admission and repeat (Three times) do i :

Have to pay the excess?
          Have to pay for the increase in the premium for the building insurance?

Any help please...
          16-02-2018, 12:35 PM
        • Reply to Share of free hold and second leak
          leaseholder64
          Not if you sued them directly (and succeeded).

However, as it is too late for that, you might be able to claim the excess back off them, but I think it will be very difficult to deal with the increased premiums. It is likely that only freeholder has a right to enforce because of actions...
          16-02-2018, 12:42 PM
        Working...
        X