Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property

Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

"We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

Should any clause like this be legally based or increase the landlord risk in any way.

I can't answer specifically but it seems to me that any clause in an underwriter's policy which you sign up to when you take out insurance would be "legally based" under contract law.

What kind of risks are you envisaging?

Comment

That looks like a very standards clause. For portable property, it stops you gaining extra money by selling it on Ebay. I think it is mainly for things that can or will be removed, but they would also want complete control of the site during any major rebuilding work.

Comment

My Policy wording says:

'Following a claim you must allow us or anyone authorised by us
        a access to premises
        b to take possession of,
        or request delivery to us of any property insured'
        Policy is based on the contract you have signed.

"I'll be back."

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurance For Property While Doing Work Before Letting?
          Blueskysmiling
          I’m due to complete on a property this Friday, that I bought with my savings, so no mortgage. I live with my Mum currently and am going to move in once I take possession as there’s quite a bit of cosmetic work that needs doing and I’d rather it was occupied while I set it up to let.
          19-09-2017, 09:14 AM
        • Reply to Insurance For Property While Doing Work Before Letting?
          tatemono
          the broker I use does not charge a fee if you change the policy from, say, empty/residential to LL as long as you do it through them. They also give me one month at the occupied rate to see if I can get a tenant in as long as it is advertised for let as soon as I take possession.

PM me...
          19-09-2017, 17:08 PM
        • Reply to Insurance For Property While Doing Work Before Letting?
          ChrisKnottIns
          Your best option is probably to stay living at home while you do the work. You can do this under an Unoccupied Property policy - which is designed for short-terms. Otherwise, it really will be a case of taking Home Insurance for a short period, cancelling and then taking Landlord cover when the work...
          19-09-2017, 10:34 AM
        • Forced entry
          mgram
          Call from tenant this afternoon. Police forced entry into his home yesterday under the impression (given by his family and friends) that it was likely a medical emergency.
          They tried to access by drilling out the patio doors at the back, but drill bit broke in lock rendering lock unusable from...
          17-09-2017, 15:56 PM
        • Reply to Forced entry
          JK0
          I wonder if T's family would have been so quick to get the police to kick down the door if it was T's own property?

I bet they thought: 'Silly old sod of a landlord is bound to be insured. Let's crack on!'

FTA: I wonder if O/P does claim on insurance, the insurers actually...
          18-09-2017, 19:32 PM
        • Reply to Forced entry
          security2
          Let's say the tenants friends and family broke in, caused damage, broke fixtures and fittings etc.

Would you
          A. Repair the damage, replace any broken items and make a kind request to the tenant to contribute?
          B. Tell the tenant to fix the damage caused on his watch?
          C....
          18-09-2017, 18:41 PM
        • Reply to Forced entry
          ram
          If your tenant did not live there, the damage would not have happened.

You cannot be responsible for the health of your tenants. That is their concern.
          You cannot be responsible for his family or friends knocking down your door due to a health concern.

The Whole family
          18-09-2017, 12:25 PM
        • Reply to Forced entry
          jpkeates
          Because he is the current resident of the property and responsible for what happens while he lives there.

If they moved out today, you would claim the damage you found from their deposit.

He can try claiming the costs from his over concerned family (although the police are...
          18-09-2017, 09:05 AM
        • Reply to Forced entry
          tatemono
          I remember saying that once and then afterwards thinking, so why have I paid premiums for 20 years if I never intended to claim... duh!...
          18-09-2017, 08:59 AM
        • Reply to Forced entry
          Kape65
          I would ask the family to pay something at least. If they don't I would consider eviction as you can't have this happening again. It may be incidental anyway if you have already contacted insurers, you may find your premium rising even if you don't make a claim.
          18-09-2017, 08:36 AM
        Working...
        X