How does referencing affect insurance?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How does referencing affect insurance?

    I'm fairly new to being a landlord.

    I have a couple who would like to rent my property. She is currently a student living in France but has a paid internship in the UK starting around the same time as the tenancy, for 6 months, at the same company where her boyfriend is employed. She is hoping this will turn into a full time contract. She has failed referencing (via OpenRent / RentGuard) as she cannot meet 50% of the rent.

    He has passed the referencing check, with the RentGuard recommended rental limit for him being ~£400 short of the total combined rent. Her limit was ~£500 but as they are not currently living together and in the UK RentGuard has told me her limit needs to meet 50% which is does not. I have started down the route of referencing a guarantor, which is his sister, as I was told it needed to be someone in the UK. The sister is currently in hospital having had some complications after giving birth so currently unable to supply details for the referencing.

    RentGuard have said she would need a guarantor in order for me to take out rent cover. I would want to take out rent cover.

    So my questions are:
    1) Is this 50% limit common across insurers?
    2) Should I wait and insist the sister pass referencing? He seems like a nice, genuine young guy.
    3) Could anyone recommend a good insurance company? I've had a look at the suppliers directory on this site, but any personal experience would be appreciated as I haven't dealt with any of them before.
    4) Has anyone used SimplyBusiness to get their insurance and would you recommend them?

    Thanks very much.

    If you are sufficiently concerned about tenants that the availability of rent cover is a show stopper, don't rent to them.
    The insurers rules are no less cautious than your's should be.

    Rent cover is generally considered a great idea until you need to make a claim (some providers might be excellent, but you don't hear about them much).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      She has failed referencing (via OpenRent / RentGuard) as she cannot meet 50% of the rent.
      I don't understand the point of this criterion for joint tenants.

      How much is the rent and how much are their individual incomes?


        The incomes combined would cover it fine, just the Rent Guard said if its not 50/50 then they would decline rent insurance as detailed above. I agree it sounds silly. Anyway the guarantor passed referencing checks so that means they will insure.


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
          by ifallelsefails
          I've looked at unoccupied insurance a lot and I found that the most comprehensive insurer and least burdensome out there was from Alan Blunden Insurance Brokers (they run the "ABACUS" system which allows other insurance brokers to insure through them too).
          You can go to Cover4LetProperty...
          22-01-2022, 22:27 PM
        • Unoccupied Property Insurance
          by Marcus Read
          Every landlord has void periods, and I have one now. I would like to insure for the obvious risks, such as unauthorised occupants (squatters), malicious damage, etc. But whenever I've looked into this, insurers say they will only offer 'FLEEA' insurance (fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft)...
          24-12-2021, 10:56 AM
        • Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
          by JamesHopeful
          Is it possible to obtain property owner's liability on its own for a house?

          I realise that it is normally purchased as part of a buildings insurance policy. However, there are some circumstances where buildings insurance may not seem necessary (e.g. for a house which will soon be demolished,...
          20-01-2022, 10:51 AM
        • Reply to Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
          by ifallelsefails
          You probably want to look at something like renovation insurance, Home Protect offer it with public liability insurance:
          22-01-2022, 22:08 PM
        • Ensuring Insurance
          by AVJ113
          Looks like I'm going to get my first rental property. I will be getting a BTL mortgage for a small, very cheap house, possibly with a sitting tenant. What minimum insurance do I need legally; what do you advise on top of that, and who is the best provider of such insurance?
          22-01-2022, 18:05 PM
        • Reply to Ensuring Insurance
          by theartfullodger
          None legally, but very very likely the mortgage will require it. Check exact requirements.

          And when does the tenant say they 1st moved in (don;t trust vendor, agent or solicitor..)??
          22-01-2022, 18:52 PM
        • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
          by L4NDLORD
          Certainly the Zurich wording says a " Responsible Person " must inspect unoccupied premises at least once a week; there are also other risk requirements, esp during the winter
          15-01-2022, 18:40 PM
        • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
          by Piffy
          I once had a Commercial Property and had to close my business for a month because a car drove into the front of the building and demolished the doorway. I wnt on holiday for 2 weeks and when I returned I went to the property and let myself in through another door and everything was OK. That night the...
          11-01-2022, 13:45 PM
        • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
          by Steve Barnes
          I always recommend that you should have a check list of the covers that are important to you and make sure that these covers are included within the quotations that you receive. That way you can compare the premiums easier and make sure it meets your needs, for example, as the property is being rented...
          10-01-2022, 13:19 PM
        • Protfolio Landlord Insurance
          by MorProp
          Hi all,

          Can anyone recommend an insurance provide or broker for freehold BTLs?

          also, from your experience, what should be covered and what to look out for?

          how do you deal with emergencies?

          05-01-2022, 09:36 AM