Stand alone liability insurance

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Stand alone liability insurance


    I am about to let my property. I do not want to move my buildings insurance from my current provider (they have insured me for the last 3.5 years while I was living in the property). However they do not provide "property owner" liability as opposed to occupier's liability (i.e. my liability to my tenant/their guests as owner and not as occupier). I am struggling to find an insurer who offers stand alone liability cover (i.e. without the buildings cover as well). However those who let out leased properties must manage to find standalone cover as they will not be getting buildings cover as well. Can anyone help at all?


    In my numerous years selling landlords insurance policies, I have never known an insurer to offer a landlord buildings policy without property owners liability included or at least the option to add such cover (although this is rare nowadays). Furthermore, none of them have ever included occupiers liability because the policy isn't for owner occupied properties. On the assumption you have told your current provider of the forthcoming change of circumstances, I am baffled as to how landlords buildings insurance is being offered but on a policy that doesn't included a "standard" peril.

    I'll assume they have a "special" scheme or have somehow had it agreed with your existing home insurance provider that you are now letting the property (which is dangerous due to these "gaps" in cover). A stand alone property owners liability policy is possible. We used to provide it on the liability side of our business but this was for extreme circumstances. If you are set on going down this route you should try some specialist liability (not landlord) providers however this isn't logical in my personal opinion. Whilst I commend your loyalty to your current provider, you will be paying two premiums (one of them with an alternative provider anyway) for what you can EASILY get under one landlords building insurance policy.

    Best option is to change your current owner occupied home insurance to cover your new residence (assuming you have simply moved to a new UK address) and then take out a new landlords buildings policy for the property you are moving out of. If your current provider can't give you a landlord policy with the correct cover then you should look at a new provider for this property but at least they can continue cover at your new address.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


    Latest Activity


    • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
      by L4NDLORD
      Certainly the Zurich wording says a " Responsible Person " must inspect unoccupied premises at least once a week; there are also other risk requirements, esp during the winter
      15-01-2022, 18:40 PM
    • Unoccupied Property Insurance
      by Marcus Read
      Every landlord has void periods, and I have one now. I would like to insure for the obvious risks, such as unauthorised occupants (squatters), malicious damage, etc. But whenever I've looked into this, insurers say they will only offer 'FLEEA' insurance (fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft)...
      24-12-2021, 10:56 AM
    • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
      by Piffy
      I once had a Commercial Property and had to close my business for a month because a car drove into the front of the building and demolished the doorway. I wnt on holiday for 2 weeks and when I returned I went to the property and let myself in through another door and everything was OK. That night the...
      11-01-2022, 13:45 PM
    • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
      by Steve Barnes
      I always recommend that you should have a check list of the covers that are important to you and make sure that these covers are included within the quotations that you receive. That way you can compare the premiums easier and make sure it meets your needs, for example, as the property is being rented...
      10-01-2022, 13:19 PM
    • Protfolio Landlord Insurance
      by MorProp
      Hi all,

      Can anyone recommend an insurance provide or broker for freehold BTLs?

      also, from your experience, what should be covered and what to look out for?

      how do you deal with emergencies?

      05-01-2022, 09:36 AM
    • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
      by L4NDLORD
      One should check that cover includes terrorism! Would provide cover in the event your tenants used the rented property (or one nearby) to make a bomb that exploded. Also access and trace. And non invalidation cover. And three years loss of rent. Very few policies include CBRN but the very best do. Half...
      10-01-2022, 03:08 AM
    • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
      by SouthernDave
      I use John Lawton, Cascade Insurance
      09-01-2022, 09:45 AM
    • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
      by loanarranger
      Hi jpucng62
      I think you meant BG ( British Gas ) I have this for all my properties and has been a great facility plus peace of mind for tenants , but bad news for the managing agents as there is no kickback from plumbers Etc
      09-01-2022, 09:43 AM
    • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
      by jpucng62
      Any commercial broker will be able to give you LL insurance. This will insured the fabric of the building & fixtures and fittings (think sinks, kitchen cupboards etc) in case of a major event.. It will usually have some contents cover for your furnishing - carpets, curtains, light shades and furniture...
      09-01-2022, 08:18 AM
    • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
      by MorProp

      You have insurance and then BT home care on top? Sorry if this is a daft question but what are the differences?
      05-01-2022, 22:09 PM