insurance for property on licence

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    insurance for property on licence

    Does anyone know if a insurance company provides cover for a property which is given to a agency which then has leased the property from you for 3 years. They then house DSS people from the local authority. Its ones of those guaranteed rent schemes scenarios. So there is no direct landlord tenant relationship via AST. Some landlord insurance companies have said they will only provide cover if there is a direct relationship between landlord and the tenant via the standard AST's.

    I hope you do not mean "given" but "rented".

    The landlord's tenant is the agent: IMHO it would not be a licence but a tenancy (even if the paperwork says licence),

    Many would suggest this is a "guaranteed rent" scam rather than scheme.

    Who has written the tenancy?? Hopefully not the agent..

    There are very good reasons many insurance companies will not touch these,,,

    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Hi Artful

      Thanks for your reply. If you can elaborate on the points you have raised, that would be helpful.


      Latest Activity


      • Not quite another water leak question.
        So today it was discovered there is a leak in our kitchen, directly above our window. I did some investigating and found a possible source, which appears to be a crack on the outside of the building, but above where our ceiling ends and above where our upstairs neighbors kitchen floor begins. The problem...
        16-03-2019, 15:46 PM
      • Reply to Not quite another water leak question.
        I'm not the freeholder. I only own the house I currently live in. I tried contacting the letting agent, but that was on Saturday and I'm calling Monday. I had another look and noticed on the roof there are a few tiles loose above where the leak is, so I'm assuming that is the responsibility of everyone...
        17-03-2019, 22:43 PM
      • Reply to Not quite another water leak question.
        I'd start with the letting agent - they're possibly in touch with the estate.
        17-03-2019, 11:52 AM
      • Reply to Not quite another water leak question.
        The trustees aka executors of the will hold ownership of the property. If no will the property will be subject to intestacy rules. Check the probate office for the name of the owner as a will is in the public domain and it will also name the trustees who won'tbe difficult to find once you have their...
        16-03-2019, 20:49 PM
      • Reply to Not quite another water leak question.
        Someone still owns that flat.You need to try and find out who and ask them to check for leaks - although if the place is empty the water is probably off and then you are looking at possible rainwater penetration.Are you the freeholder?
        16-03-2019, 18:48 PM
      • Insurance/charity
        Forever Forest
        Does anyone know of any insurance companies who offer LL cover if the property is leased to a charity?

        Many thanks in advance.
        25-01-2019, 18:19 PM
      • Reply to Insurance/charity
        I though it sounded a good idea when my agent said a charity was interested in renting my house, to house single mothers and I just let him get on with it. But now I've probably fallen foul of my insurance company.
        I did not realize I was entering into a lease, Did not see the lease as the agent...
        14-03-2019, 16:40 PM
      • Policy details
        Hi on my insurance policy it states a 50% uplift. My understanding is that means insuring for 50% increase for inflation (in ONE year) for a potential rebuild!
        Have I understood this correctly and is this just yet another way to inflate the premiums?
        05-03-2019, 14:53 PM
      • Reply to Policy details
        Hi thanks for taking time to reply.
        Yes - it does say in the lease that the freeholders have the right to insure.
        However I spoke to the Lease Advisory Service and they said I only need to be insured for what it says in my lease. Therefore expecting me to insure their hundreds of riskier...
        08-03-2019, 11:49 AM
      • Water escape liability question - managing agent and / or owner?
        Hi, first post here and really hope someone can help!

        Three months ago there was water escape from the top flat that went through two others and then amassed in my ground floor flat. The owner was impossible to get hold of but I got a plumber to stop the leak and make a temporary repair....
        05-03-2019, 12:40 PM