X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mulberry49
    started a topic Site insurance on plot of land

Site insurance on plot of land

We own a plot of land and the access road. The owner of the next plot which is also adjacent to the access road and has use of same, is now at the second fix stage of his build. Because so many tradesmen are attending at the same time they are using our plot as a car park. No one has requested permission and this will continue if the plot is not cordoned off, which I don't want to do as I know it will cause ill feeling.

However, reading up on site insurance for our forthcoming build I read that site insurance is essential because if anyone has any sort of accident on our land they can sue us. At the moment there is no insurance whatsoever on the plot of land and my health and safety head is telling me I should request that they don't park on the site. Obviously this will cause ill feeling as other people don't seem to recognise the importance of health and safety measures. Parking will be much more restricted if I cordon off the site.

My question is - what should I do. Should I ask the owner of the other plot to sign a disclaimer or ask him to see whether his site insurance will give cover for someone else's plot and include our plot with theirs. I am not sure how a disclaimer would stand up in court or should I simply explain the situation and cordon the site off. I'm not trying to be awkward but I know how things can happen unexpectedly.

The other owner has allowed building rubbish to mount up, again on our site and I asked them this week if they could get it removed as it was spreading. A skip has arrived today thank goodness. Again this was becoming a safety hazard.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• mulberry49
    replied
    Site insurance on plot of land

Thank you for your response which was very helpful. I can see I have been too relaxed in allowing the other owner to let his contractors use our plot as a dumping ground. What alerted me to health and safety issues was the parking of a whole load of cars and vans right across our plot and I became aware that there could be consequences if anything happened.

I think the best course of action is to cordon off the plot as I don't want to be in a position where I have to prove anything to anyone. I have no idea of the insurance cover his tradesmen carry. Cordoning off will only result in more restrictive parking for tradesmen and in any event, his house is nearly finished. I suppose we have been lucky nothing detrimental has happened over the past 10 months

Again, thanks for your very full and helpful reply.

Leave a comment:

• philipweson
    replied
    If you have the correct insurance in place, and someone suffers an injury on your land due to your negligence, then your insurance should look to pay on that claim. if the other site owner is placing items on your plot which could cause harm or injury, you are under and obligation to inform that person to remove them.

if you are allowing access and use of your plot by the other plot owner then then you are accepting liability for his action on your land, but you have to be negligent.
    If items are left safe and tidy and are not to risk to anyone then I fail to see how you would be negligent.
    If the use of your plot is left unsafe and untidy and you are aware of it, you need to bring it to his attention that you may be liable in the event of an injury. If he really needs to leave something on your land then it should be left safe and tidy.

If he is using Bona fide subcontractors they should carry their own public liability insurance and they would insured if they cause injury or damage due to their negligent actions.
    So if the bona fide subcontractor left something on your land and someone injured themselves due to something the subcontractor has left unsafe then it would be the subcontractors insurance that would be liable and not your site insurance. the problem would be in proving it.

Or if he employs his workers and the site has employers liability attached to the site policy and again if that employee left something on your land in a unsafe condition and someone injured themselves due to his negligence then the site insurance should be liable and not yours, again you would need to prove it.
    As for the disclaimer, you cannot contract of of any liability for injury it would be classed as an unfair term.

Hope this helps,

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Question regarding insurance
    luke.norwich
    Hello!
    I would like to ask if you have any experiance with Direct Line insurance for landlords? I am thinking of buing their insurance (building, legal expenses, rent guarantee).
    Is it worth recommending? What is your experiance regarding handling claims etc?

I will appriciate...
    20-09-2019, 09:55 AM
  • Reply to Question regarding insurance
    AndrewDod
    I had that firm before. One massive issue for me was they did not insure "students". When one of my tenants age 53 became a postgraduate PhD student it precipitated a crisis where my insurance became invalid mid-term.

One problem with insurance these days is that there is no thinking...
    20-09-2019, 12:01 PM
  • Reply to Question regarding insurance
    JK0
    I have that firm for home, motor & landlord insurance. You should only buy this if you are fairly certain you won't need to claim. I've had one home & one motor claim with them years ago. The motor claim was okay. For the home one, I had to threaten to sue.
    20-09-2019, 10:29 AM
  • Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?
    Cpoole
    Hi, we have recently taken over a resturants and our landlord has charged us for building insurance and i have a few questions.
    1. can they do that when its their building thats insured not us?
    2. They have student flats upstairs so how do we know they aren't charging us for the whole building...
    08-08-2019, 15:32 PM
  • Reply to Can commercial landlord make you pay buildings insurance?
    Flashback1966
    You would have signed a Lease to take over the shop. Your solicitor should have made you aware of your obligations and gone over the terms and conditions.

Some of the points have already been made. I would expect the freeholder to insure the building under a block policy. You would...
    17-09-2019, 16:09 PM
  • Insurance and Subsidence
    security2
    Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can offer any experience/knowledge on this.

I have an opportunity to purchase a house on a good sized plot at below market value being sold by the executors of an estate. Reason for the valuation is that there is a current insurance claim going through...
    18-07-2019, 19:42 PM
  • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
    Flashback1966
    I don't see a problem. As long as the remedies are sound. There is nothing to worry about. You should insure with the current provider, until the issues have been resolved. Yes, they will have jacked up premium, but they would have sent in their surveyor, but you will be able to get another quote. For...
    17-09-2019, 15:37 PM
  • Reply to Insurance and Subsidence
    Stacker
    What is the difference between insuring for subsidence and movement are they classed as the same or would we need to be insured separately and why is the subsidence excess so high?
    16-09-2019, 14:30 PM
  • Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
    BentuKala
    Hello,
    Is there such a Rent Guarantee Insurance, where referencing is done for tenants, but their salary is not checked?
    I am facing a problem, where so many decent interested people are filtered out by the Openrent rent guarantee scheme, because their salary is apparently not high enough...
    15-09-2019, 18:32 PM
  • Reply to Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance without salary checks
    JK0
    6 months rent up front for a 6 month tenancy is the best guarantee in my book. Then s21 notice & standing order form at 4 month point.
    15-09-2019, 22:19 PM
Working...
X