Rent guarantee for tenant?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rent guarantee for tenant?

    Hi I've just had an email off my tenant to say he forgot to renew his insurance which included rent guarantee I'm a bit confused as I thought only the landlord insured against this, is this correct?


    A tenant could take out income protection insurance so if they were unable to work due to illness/injury they would still be able to pay their rent. Not exactly a rent guarantee policy but the only cover I can think of that a tenant could take out to assist with their rental payments.

    Some tenant's contents insurance policies provide cover for rent that the tenant is legally liable to pay if the home becomes uninhabitable following an incident covered by the contents policy but any example I can think of would also affect the buildings so the landlord's buildings insurance would come into play to provide loss of rent cover.

    Ultimately, only the person receiving the rent (i.e. the landlord) can take out a rent guarantee insurance policy.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


      Hi ash
      Yes that's what I thought Aswell I've sent him an email explaining what you have said hopefully I'll get it sorted thanks very much.


      Latest Activity


      • Washing Machine leak
        Hi All


        I own ground floor flat in maisonette and own share of freehold with the upstairs neighbor. we both own the share of freehold.

        There are only two flats ( ground floor and first floor)

        Last week the upstairs washing machine waste pipe break...
        05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
      • Reply to Washing Machine leak
        There's nothing stopping you making a claim, it doesn't cost a lot and it's possible the upstairs tenant might settle or at least make an offer to avoid court.
        Same if you get a solicitor to send a letter making the claim.

        There are a whole chain of things you'd have to be able to...
        07-10-2019, 14:55 PM
      • Reply to Washing Machine leak
        The Upstair neighbour in the letter confirmed the leakage was due to the broken washing machine waste pipe and he is sorry for decoration damage.

        Based on my discussion with my tenant which he is happy to testify in court, The upstairs washing machine was shaking the whole building every...
        07-10-2019, 13:59 PM
      • Reply to Washing Machine leak
        If you can prove it, your chances would be very different.

        Nothing you have posted so far has indicated that you have proof, just a (strong) belief that the vibration was the cause of the problem with the pipe and that the vibration was due to the washing machine being incorrectly bala...
        07-10-2019, 12:28 PM
      • Reply to Washing Machine leak
        I don't think it's hard to prove negligence, I'd say that it's next to impossible.

        Even though i can prove the washing machine has not been set up properly ( ie vibration and shaking ) and vibration was the reason waster pipe was broken and cause a leak

        07-10-2019, 10:45 AM
      • insurance by Ocaso through my freeholder (local authority) - is it enough?
        I let out an ex-council leasehold flat. As I understand is usual with leasehold, it is insured through the freeholder (which in this case is the London Borough of Tower Hamlets). The insurer is Ocaso and the insurance is subject to the general conditions of their Household Building Insurance for Local...
        17-03-2013, 11:19 AM
      • Reply to insurance by Ocaso through my freeholder (local authority) - is it enough?
        JamesHopeful did you ever get to a satisfactory arrangement?

        7 years later and the issue is still presenting difficulties. My wife is a Local Council Leaseholder who is subletting her flat. Her Council's Block Buidings Insurance Policy is also with Ocaso. Surprisingly it is less favourable...
        06-10-2019, 14:12 PM
      • Reply to Washing Machine leak
        I don't think it's hard to prove negligence, I'd say that it's next to impossible.

        It's never happened before and pipes do leak.

        A solicitors letter might get the upstairs neighbour to make some kind of offer regardless....
        06-10-2019, 14:04 PM
      • Reply to Washing Machine leak
        Normally the insurance company will only allow the named policy holder to make a claim under their insurance policy.

        So you must claim the cost of repair under your own flat's policy if the "joint freeholders" are not covered under a separate insurance policy for the entire building...
        05-10-2019, 22:03 PM
      • Reply to Washing Machine leak
        Just put the whole problem in your insurer's lap. Maybe upstairs can be persuaded to reimburse your excess if you ask politely.
        05-10-2019, 19:47 PM