Rent guarantee for tenant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent guarantee for tenant?

Hi I've just had an email off my tenant to say he forgot to renew his insurance which included rent guarantee I'm a bit confused as I thought only the landlord insured against this, is this correct?

Thanks

A tenant could take out income protection insurance so if they were unable to work due to illness/injury they would still be able to pay their rent. Not exactly a rent guarantee policy but the only cover I can think of that a tenant could take out to assist with their rental payments.

Some tenant's contents insurance policies provide cover for rent that the tenant is legally liable to pay if the home becomes uninhabitable following an incident covered by the contents policy but any example I can think of would also affect the buildings so the landlord's buildings insurance would come into play to provide loss of rent cover.

Ultimately, only the person receiving the rent (i.e. the landlord) can take out a rent guarantee insurance policy.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Hi ash
      Yes that's what I thought Aswell I've sent him an email explaining what you have said hopefully I'll get it sorted thanks very much.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Damage to Ceiling
        jessa46
        I've notified my insurer about the partial ceiling collapse. I don't know if it's due to water damage or just that that part of the ceiling was wek. The building was built in 1880s. The repair bill is - £88 for initial clean up, £500 for repair. Rather than claim through my insurer, can I claim against...
        16-06-2019, 11:06 AM
      • Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
        Dazvader
        First post. Please go easy folks.

Recently I awoke to a loud, rapid tapping noise. It turned out to be a leak in a bedroom from the flat above. The small balcony above had a birds nest over a drain and water had risen up in the small area, deep enough to rise over the flashing and was pouring...
        15-06-2019, 07:52 AM
      • Reply to Balcony leak caused by a birds nest
        Macromia
        Is it really "obvious appropriate checks were not made"?

If you were experiencing repeated leaks that were clearly a result of a single issue, and the leaseholder and/or resident of the flat above had been informed of the problem but not taken appropriate action, you might have...
        16-06-2019, 06:23 AM
        Dazvader
        Sorry I wasn’t clear. There have been 4 leaks in total. The washing machine instance is the 3rd one which hasn’t and the 4th is being dealt with by the managing agent.

I have read the link you mentioned, thanks for that. The sentence ‘A reasonable standard of behaviour would be to...
        15-06-2019, 11:10 AM
        leaseholder64
        You said t"The first two were sorted by him to an unimpressive standard"); that is compensating you.

People are only legally responsible to compensate you if they have been negligent, not just because they own the source of the problem. That means they have to have done something...
        15-06-2019, 10:43 AM
        Dazvader
        Lucky? They didn’t compensate me a penny. I’m confused. Why would they not be responsible? Sorry if this is something I should know about....
        15-06-2019, 10:29 AM
        leaseholder64
        You are lucky. The flat above did not need to compensate you for the washing machine leak at all. Only damage from the birds nest that happens after the relevant person was notified of the problem is their responsibility.
        15-06-2019, 10:20 AM
      • How can we get our block insured in this situation?
        michelle230
        I`m posting this on behalf of a friend. Could anyone advise? Thank you

"How's this for a dilema. Our Freeholder/Managing Agent arranges the buildings insurance, and the premium is paid by all the leaseholders paying their share. We duly pay our service charges which included the...
        30-05-2019, 18:03 PM
      • Reply to How can we get our block insured in this situation?
        Gordon999
        I suggest you contact the FCA and make complaint against the insurer and ask for the insured cover for the building to be re-instated .
        14-06-2019, 11:12 AM
      • Missold buildings insurance?
        HazeltonLane
        Hi all,

I have owned a leasehold flat for the past 15 years and have since the beginning taken out buildings and contents insurance cover. I can't remember all the details but I'm sure the insurance company advised me that this was necessary.

I have just found out that the...
        02-06-2019, 11:51 AM
      Working...
      X