Liability Insurance - flat in block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liability Insurance - flat in block

Can someone tell me if it is usual/common to have 3rd party liability insurance included in the communal insurance paid via service charges?

Thanks

Cover under a block of flats building insurance policy will normally include cover for building re-instatement, public liability , employee liability, 20% alternative accommodation , subsidence , landlords furnishings in hallways etc.

Any leaseholder can write to the managing agent and obtain a summary of the insured cover within 30 days .

Some agents may insure under a property owner's policy which does not include the whole package of covers.

Comment

3rd party liability is a broad term but its not uncommon to have this to protect against the actions of an unrelated party who might have insufficient resources or funds, or insurance, for action that causes a loss to a building. it can also be regarded as liability insurance for protection such as legal expenses where a person takes action against the insured.

Whether it is recoverable depends on the terms of the lease but very often it is treated as free from the insurer or broker. While it is of course not free, declining it usually involves no reduction in premium as the insurance is offered as a package by an insurer for insurers and brokers to sell.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leasehold Second Home insurance
        by Rincewind
        Hi All

I have a leasehold holiday home (flat).

The lease states: . . . "the lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common...
        27-06-2020, 09:18 AM
      • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
        by Rincewind
        yes but . . . the lease says

"The lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common services against fire and such other risks (if any) as...
        29-06-2020, 17:06 PM
      • Reply to Building Insurance
        by hexu
        Hi ATC, I seem to misunderstand your point previously. My solicitor has written to the freeholder, but he does not accept our position. His reply is shown as below:

"Insurance companies are unable to cover the structure of the building and common parts of the building without taking...
        27-06-2020, 19:00 PM
      • Building Insurance
        by hexu
        The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
        30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
      • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
        by Section20z
        I think your best bet is to notify the insurers directly that it is occasionally vacant for longer periods . (As long as your lease has no clause against it) otherwise you may be liable as you say.
        Failing that make sure it's occupied at least once a month.
        You can use C19 as a valid excuse...
        27-06-2020, 12:01 PM
      • Gas boiler insurance
        by blinko
        Hi all,

I'm due the annual gas safety and wanted to ask does anyone take out any insurance based gas boiler service product.

as I'm thinking i spend around 60 for the certificate but if it was say 100 for the insurance PLUS a certificate very year that might make sense to me....
        21-06-2020, 09:27 AM
      • Reply to Gas boiler insurance
        by jpkeates
        A hidden benefit of BG's cover is that when they can't get an engineer straight out (most autumn seasons) the tenant tends to blame them rather than me.
        23-06-2020, 13:12 PM
      • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
        by flyingfreehold
        Quite often a freeholder will own a flat or two in its own block. Former's porters flat; flats formerly let to sitting tenants, and so forth
        23-06-2020, 04:23 AM
      • Insurance premiums going through the roof
        by flyingfreehold
        Those seeking renewals of buildings policies will find that insurers are taking a much tougher line especially where there have been chunky losses and premia are rising dramatically

A broker put it to me this way. In 2020 insurers have made negative income on its investments therefore...
        17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
      • Reply to Gas boiler insurance
        by Interlaken
        I have a British Gas policy on one of my lets at £23.50 pcm. It gets me unlimited call outs and a gas certificate. The particularly difficult but good paying tenant was convinced my plumbers were trying to kill her and her children and she would never agree a time to let them in yet want endless repairs...
        22-06-2020, 11:16 AM
      Working...
      X