multiple property with single insurance policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple property with single insurance policy?

We now have 3 flats (not that many I admit) but the landlord insurance renewal has just come through for one of them and it would be great to have a multi property for reduced admin and hopefully a keener premium (like Admiral do for cars)

Does any insurance company do this?

thanks
    keith

Direct Line do multi property. One thing to beware of though, is that if you claim for one property, it may push up your premiums for all three.

Comment

Not a big fan of Direct Line. Try some of the brokers on this page

Comment

What we find as a broker is that you need to get a quote for both circumstances (i.e. all as separate policies and one with all properties on the same policy). In the case of 5 or less properties, I would estimate that 4 out of 5 quotes we do are more competitive by insuring them separately.

The main factor to bear in mind is that if the properties have any differing details such as different post codes, sums insured, tenants, etc. then choosing one insurer might not be best. This is because one insurer may be good for working tenants but not for students and vice versa with the next insurer. You will also find that every insurer will cover one property but believe it or not, some will not offer a multi property policy so you actually restrict your insurer options and therefore your price/cover options.

When you get to 10+ properties, the discounts get bigger and begin to out-weigh the factors above.
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Insurance claim question
          by Moderator2
          You ask a question like that, yet it is often likely that LLZ cannot support having the names posted, as explained in the forum rules....
          24-09-2020, 15:46 PM
        • Insurance claim question
          by George V
          Advice needed please:

I put a claim in with my insurers for malicious damage after tenant surrendered their tenancy. The claim was for a few bits and bobs (e.g. damage to walls, kitchen unit, floorboard etc.).

The claim management company, in their wisdom, has turned round...
          15-08-2020, 08:35 AM
        • Reply to Insurance claim question
          by George V
          The total loss (over two claims) was below 1k and so I have pretty much given up on pursuing this but not excluded (as I complained with the company) going to ombundsman.

The insurer was {Name Removed} (apparently left market), arranged through CIA but claim handling company was {Name Removed}....
          24-09-2020, 12:18 PM
        • Leak from upstairs - excess £5,000
          by Flashback1966
          I am writing this on behalf of another landlord. There was a water leak from upstairs. Insurance were notified, but the excess was £5,000. This is in high end tower block, but rather dated.

Who pays for the repair for water leak?...
          19-09-2020, 11:34 AM
        • Reply to Leak from upstairs - excess £5,000
          by boletus
          See the stickies in the 'insurance questions' forum;

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...eaks-in-Flats=
          21-09-2020, 16:16 PM
          by Moderator2
          You don't have the option to assess the standard of replies from other forum members, you can discuss the technicalities of replies, but don’t get into questioning another member’s credibility.

These are discussion forums where members have a wide variety of knowledge and expertise,...
          21-09-2020, 15:57 PM
          by jpkeates
          The question is not about plumbing, it's a question is about insurance, liability and responsibility in a shared building....
          21-09-2020, 15:06 PM
          by gnvqsos
          I differ from you in that I would not offer advice or an opinion in areas where I lack either expertise and/or experience.However if an owner fits own pipework and omit inserts this is surely negligent ie should have employed a qualified plumber.I have trained and qualified as a plumber and therefore...
          21-09-2020, 15:02 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Except that is not what happens in practice. After 3 or 4 water leak related claims your insurer (and any other insurer you try) will exclude all water related claims from the policy - or set the water claims excess at £20,000.

So effectively you will have no cover. Whatever the obligation...
          21-09-2020, 10:21 AM
          by Section20z
          As stated elsewhere the excess comes from the service charge as landlord insures comprehensively.
          Anyone who has a claim denied due to lack of negligence or act of God needs to find a new insurer.
          We use Aviva flats policy and water leaks are the most common cause of claim and I have never...
          21-09-2020, 09:45 AM
        Working...
        X