Insuring one flat in a block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insuring one flat in a block

can I get building insurance on one flat in a block. Was originally a block policy but management company has cancelled agreement.

You cannot, as building insurance is for -- wait for it ------------------ a building, not one flat, but your freeholder IS responsible for insuring the building.
    Your lease should state who is responsible for insuring the building ( although it's the leaseholders who eventusaly pay the bill.)

If they have cancelled it -- WHY, and if so, and lets say there are 6 months to run, you want 6 months of your share of the premium back ( does not work that way, but state that to the freeholders )

Also, you need to talk / ask / demand as to why they cancelled it as if the place burns down, you wont get the building rebuilt.

Also, the freeholder is probably not obeying the lease, so you can take them to court for not having insurance.

Read your lease and come back and confirm it's the freeholder ( maybe via a managing agent on behalf of the freeholder ) and why it was cancelled, and we can go from there.,

Comment

Buildings insurance for a single flat IS possible (we can offer such a policy) but it is only for when the circumstances require such cover. This doesn't take anything away from the rest of ram's comments and even I would suggest avoiding a single flat buildings insurance in these circumstances.

You should always ensure that an entire building is insured on one policy. Insuring a single flat by itself can lead to many problems in the event of a claim and would only ever be advised if there was no possible way to insure the property as a whole.

My advice is to go back to the management company following ram's advice above and go from there.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
        but your freeholder IS responsible for insuring the building.
        They are not always.

One of my properties has a lease which says that if the freeholder chooses to insure the block then the leaseholders have to pay the insurance - but it doesn't state that the freeholder does have to insure the building.

I am currently wondering whether this falls under one of the "defective lease" grounds and opens up an application to the FTT?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Leasehold Second Home insurance
          by Rincewind
          Hi All

I have a leasehold holiday home (flat).

The lease states: . . . "the lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common...
          27-06-2020, 09:18 AM
        • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
          by Rincewind
          yes but . . . the lease says

"The lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common services against fire and such other risks (if any) as...
          29-06-2020, 17:06 PM
        • Reply to Building Insurance
          by hexu
          Hi ATC, I seem to misunderstand your point previously. My solicitor has written to the freeholder, but he does not accept our position. His reply is shown as below:

"Insurance companies are unable to cover the structure of the building and common parts of the building without taking...
          27-06-2020, 19:00 PM
        • Building Insurance
          by hexu
          The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
          30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
        • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
          by Section20z
          I think your best bet is to notify the insurers directly that it is occasionally vacant for longer periods . (As long as your lease has no clause against it) otherwise you may be liable as you say.
          Failing that make sure it's occupied at least once a month.
          You can use C19 as a valid excuse...
          27-06-2020, 12:01 PM
        • Gas boiler insurance
          by blinko
          Hi all,

I'm due the annual gas safety and wanted to ask does anyone take out any insurance based gas boiler service product.

as I'm thinking i spend around 60 for the certificate but if it was say 100 for the insurance PLUS a certificate very year that might make sense to me....
          21-06-2020, 09:27 AM
        • Reply to Gas boiler insurance
          by jpkeates
          A hidden benefit of BG's cover is that when they can't get an engineer straight out (most autumn seasons) the tenant tends to blame them rather than me.
          23-06-2020, 13:12 PM
        • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
          by flyingfreehold
          Quite often a freeholder will own a flat or two in its own block. Former's porters flat; flats formerly let to sitting tenants, and so forth
          23-06-2020, 04:23 AM
        • Insurance premiums going through the roof
          by flyingfreehold
          Those seeking renewals of buildings policies will find that insurers are taking a much tougher line especially where there have been chunky losses and premia are rising dramatically

A broker put it to me this way. In 2020 insurers have made negative income on its investments therefore...
          17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
        • Reply to Gas boiler insurance
          by Interlaken
          I have a British Gas policy on one of my lets at £23.50 pcm. It gets me unlimited call outs and a gas certificate. The particularly difficult but good paying tenant was convinced my plumbers were trying to kill her and her children and she would never agree a time to let them in yet want endless repairs...
          22-06-2020, 11:16 AM
        Working...
        X