When/Is car insurance "business" level of cover for Private property investors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When/Is car insurance "business" level of cover for Private property investors?

Hi everyone,
    First post here from an aspiring Landlord I'm planning my first BTL and I'm wondering whether or when would a property investor would need "business" level of cover for his car insurance?

I'm particularly interested to know the answer for the case of a landlord whose properties are fully managed by a letting agent. It still feels like a grey area, even though I read a few description for what "business" level of cover means an when it's required...

thanks for chipping in !

I have always taken the business use option. It doesn't cost a lot. Otherwise sod's law dictates you will have an accident when you are unexpectedly called out to see your tenant.

Comment

Bit of a can of worms opened here!

As JK0 says above, you'll probably find if you compare the price of standard (social/domestic) use and business use the difference won't be much. If you visit your properties during the year then you probably do need business use. However, business use on a car insurance policy is usually for the policyholder's primary occupation and most landlord's have a main occupation that probably isn't letting properties so simply adding business use to a policy doesn't suffice. Every insurer/broker differs in how they would handle this so you can only really get your answer by speaking to them.

I wonder how many landlords actually get business use?
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

Originally posted by ashburnham View Post
        However, business use on a car insurance policy is usually for the policyholder's primary occupation and most landlord's have a main occupation that probably isn't letting properties so simply adding business use to a policy doesn't suffice. Every insurer/broker differs in how they would handle this so you can only really get your answer by speaking to them.
        Pretty sure every time I've taken out a car insurance policy over the past X years they ask you do you want business use (Y/N). then ask your primary occupation (which as you surmise, for me is something not landlord-related); and then ask for a secondary occupation, for which I fill in my landlord bit. I've experimented with adding and subtracting business use on these internet screen-scraper brokers (just to see how much difference it makes), and usually the answer for me is "none at all".

Comment

Yes, we have the secondary occupation question on our car insurance system. I personally haven't used the system for customers' policies for at least 5 years but I vaguely remember something along the lines of business use only being for the primary occupation listed and if we wanted it any different we had to get permission from the insurer and an endorsement added to allow this. Like I say this was a long time ago and is only my hazy recollection of our insurance system!
          Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
          LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
          See my profile for contact details

Comment

Fantastic, thank you all for your help !
            I shall contact my insurer to determine the best way to be insured whilst being a landlord.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by tatemono
              that's the rent guarantee insurance we use and which has worked for us for many years....
              13-07-2020, 20:58 PM
            • Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by oi2004as
              Hi

I would be interested in your view on the following

I received a renewal Legal & Rent Guarantee Insurance documents from Rentguard (which initiallyy I purchased through Openrent)

There is the following condition in their 'statement of fact':
              "The...
              11-07-2020, 11:59 AM
              by AndrewDod
              No 7.1 will not likely stand up in court. You cannot have open ended guarantor deeds that apply in this way robustly.

The fact that you have said that it will apply also to unknown rental increases, for an unknown term, and covers unknown costs means that it is likely invalid
              13-07-2020, 19:39 PM
              by oi2004as
              To jpkeates
              This is not about zero-risk option. The part which I do not like the most is that I become tenant-dependant for buying insurance.
              They may not reply to my email about their circumstances
              They may not provide correct information
              They may not allow to run re-referencing...
              13-07-2020, 19:14 PM
              by theartfullodger
              HOW was the guarantee documented please? Enacted as a deed? Guarantor credit checked, given AST & guarantee and advised to take legal advice prior to signing, please?...
              13-07-2020, 19:06 PM
              by oi2004as
              To AndrewDod
              I have a guarantor on this Tenancy Agreement.
              This is 12-month fixed and then becoming rolling (monthly) contactual agreement.
              The guarantor is a party to the agreement (signed)
              The agreement has the following clauses:
              7.1 In consideration of the Landlord agreeing...
              13-07-2020, 19:00 PM
              by jpkeates
              I think you're looking for a zero-risk option, but property letting is an investment business with risk baked in.
              I don't blame you! But I think you're going to struggle.

Like all of us, the rent guarantee insurance sellers didn't see the pandemic coming, and it wasn't covered in...
              13-07-2020, 16:25 PM
              by AndrewDod
              If a guarantor agreement is valid at all (which is a BIG if) it is not going to be valid past the initial fixed term (no matter what it says) - so as much use as non-stick Sellotape or Jeremy Corbyn....
              13-07-2020, 16:08 PM
              by Boab
              I doubt anyone in this town has ten years rent. I’m obviously being Uber selective on tenants , but I also wondered about guarantors as well. Does a guarantor have the absolute obligation to cover rent defaults or can they avoid paying as well?...
              13-07-2020, 15:47 PM
            • Buildings & Contents Insurance - Recommendations
              by landlord-man
              Can anyone recommend a broker / insurance provider? I have a 1st floor property with 4 flats.

I'm looking for recommendations on who provided a fair quote but also any recommendations on companies who actually paid out a claim promptly / fairly.

Thank You...
              13-07-2020, 10:57 AM
            Working...
            X