Would insurance cover this scenario?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would insurance cover this scenario?

I'm about to rent out my first floor flat for the first time. At the moment I'm still trying to weight up the different options of landlord insurance but I have a question about a particular scenario, really wondering how this would be dealt with and if any kind of insurance would cover it, ok here we go:

1) My tenant overflows the bath that causes damage to the downstairs property. Would my landlord insurance policy cover the damage to the downstairs property as well as my own?

2) Even worse case scenario: my tenant (through negligence) causes serious damage to both my flat and the flat below making both properties uninhabitable. Would my insurance policy cover for the loss of rent of both properties? Or would downstairs need to claim on their own insurance even though my tenant caused the problem?

Apologies that these type of questions crop up again and again but as a newby to the world of being a landlord, i want to make sure I get a really tight insurance policy that covers bith of the above as well as the more mundain and usual stuff.

Any other advice and suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance!

Not the answer you want, but if a tenant causes damage to your flat and another, the tenant is responsible to pay for the rectification. Why should he get away with not paying a penny, then do the same to his next tenancy.

Other landlords may be along with constructive answers, but may result in saying, ring a few firms up, and ask them.

Comment

Originally posted by Presuming Ed View Post
      I'm about to rent out my first floor flat for the first time. At the moment I'm still trying to weight up the different options of landlord insurance but I have a question about a particular scenario, really wondering how this would be dealt with and if any kind of insurance would cover it, ok here we go:
      I'd say both your scenarios would normally be covered by your insurance, provided it has accidental damage cover.

The third scenario you haven't mentioned though is what would happen if you had a major falling out with your tenant, and before he did a runner he put the bath plug in and turned all the taps on full; ie the damage to your neighbour's flat was deliberate and malicious. You can insure against that, but it's quite a bit more expensive, so you need to look out specifically for policies which include deliberate damage by the tenant (many will have it as a specific exclusion). Definitely worth considering; but at least be aware of it.

Comment

Ericthelobster,

Good thinking! I know it might sound like I'm being ever so slightly hysterical but all these possibilities keep going through my head. But thank you for mentioning this one as it's a good question for me to ask them.

In reply to ram, I guess ultimately it would be the tenants responsibility but if he/she does one, never to be seen again, then yeah ok I've got their £900 deposit in my pocket, but that won't cover our ongoing mortgage payment as well as downstairs wanting £800 a month to cover their unrentable flat. Not to mention alternative accommodation for their own tenant who cannot live there because of the damage done.

Does anyone have an insurance recommendations who would cover these type of situations?

Thanks for you replies

Comment

As you have a flat, read the buildings insurance policy for the block ( you are entitled to have a copy ) as that may cover you for above, but all policies are slightly different.

Ours covers for alternative accomodation in the event another flat being uninhabitable. But that is a block insurance and would cover for possible non flat problems, such as a "common" water pipe burst, but we did get a flat refurbished on the block insurance, with the excess charge and the next years increase being charged to the flat that the water came from.

As said, no one can tell you the wording of landlords insurance as you are the one with the facts of how many flats are let, how old the property is, how many claims have been made on yours and other flats, how much you are prepared to pay.

I know you want get a name that would cover your questions.
          Look at the adds on here, then google Landlords insurance. Then put your questions to them

The bottom line is, you are running a business, and people get goods or services and don't pay, and as a business you need a fund to fall back on, as well as a good insurance policy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X