Life Insurance and Critical Illness Cover

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Life Insurance and Critical Illness Cover


    Do you need life insurance and/or critical illness cover for rental properties?
    Is there any way of doing one cover for a whole portfolio instead of
    a policy on each property?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages?
    I have these both for my main residential property but find the cost
    is adding up for my rental properties.
    Please give me your views experts,

    Certainly a block policy (cover increasable as borrowing increases) sounds cost-effective. Assurance cover is desirable to protect family/dependents in case of a main earner's illness or death, but that is scarcely a real problem for investment properties which the patient's/deceased's family could simply sell without impact on the family home.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


    Latest Activity


    • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
      by ifallelsefails
      I've looked at unoccupied insurance a lot and I found that the most comprehensive insurer and least burdensome out there was from Alan Blunden Insurance Brokers (they run the "ABACUS" system which allows other insurance brokers to insure through them too).
      You can go to Cover4LetProperty...
      22-01-2022, 22:27 PM
    • Unoccupied Property Insurance
      by Marcus Read
      Every landlord has void periods, and I have one now. I would like to insure for the obvious risks, such as unauthorised occupants (squatters), malicious damage, etc. But whenever I've looked into this, insurers say they will only offer 'FLEEA' insurance (fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft)...
      24-12-2021, 10:56 AM
    • Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
      by JamesHopeful
      Is it possible to obtain property owner's liability on its own for a house?

      I realise that it is normally purchased as part of a buildings insurance policy. However, there are some circumstances where buildings insurance may not seem necessary (e.g. for a house which will soon be demolished,...
      20-01-2022, 10:51 AM
    • Reply to Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
      by ifallelsefails
      You probably want to look at something like renovation insurance, Home Protect offer it with public liability insurance:
      22-01-2022, 22:08 PM
    • Ensuring Insurance
      by AVJ113
      Looks like I'm going to get my first rental property. I will be getting a BTL mortgage for a small, very cheap house, possibly with a sitting tenant. What minimum insurance do I need legally; what do you advise on top of that, and who is the best provider of such insurance?
      22-01-2022, 18:05 PM
    • Reply to Ensuring Insurance
      by theartfullodger
      None legally, but very very likely the mortgage will require it. Check exact requirements.

      And when does the tenant say they 1st moved in (don;t trust vendor, agent or solicitor..)??
      22-01-2022, 18:52 PM
    • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
      by L4NDLORD
      Certainly the Zurich wording says a " Responsible Person " must inspect unoccupied premises at least once a week; there are also other risk requirements, esp during the winter
      15-01-2022, 18:40 PM
    • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
      by Piffy
      I once had a Commercial Property and had to close my business for a month because a car drove into the front of the building and demolished the doorway. I wnt on holiday for 2 weeks and when I returned I went to the property and let myself in through another door and everything was OK. That night the...
      11-01-2022, 13:45 PM
    • Protfolio Landlord Insurance
      by MorProp
      Hi all,

      Can anyone recommend an insurance provide or broker for freehold BTLs?

      also, from your experience, what should be covered and what to look out for?

      how do you deal with emergencies?

      05-01-2022, 09:36 AM
    • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
      by Steve Barnes
      I always recommend that you should have a check list of the covers that are important to you and make sure that these covers are included within the quotations that you receive. That way you can compare the premiums easier and make sure it meets your needs, for example, as the property is being rented...
      10-01-2022, 13:19 PM