Insurance for renting out our own home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insurance for renting out our own home

    Can any one help? We occasionally rent out our own home when we go away on holiday. Opprox 40 days per year. I am having trouble finding appropriate insurance for buildings and contents. Where do I look?

  • #2
    You need to use a broker who specialises in such risks - try Ashburnham who regularly writes in this column or I use Highhouse Insurance who will also offer such cover.

    Freedom at the point of zero............


    • #3
      I think I would need a bit more info regarding this one first.

      As the letting period is short, it would be a referal or decline on most landlords insurance policies but a holiday let policy may be the direction to go. These cater for shorter letting periods and higher levels of contents. My concern with this risk is that it is your own house so I would assume your worldly goods are within. Any contents insurance policy for a property being rented out is going to exclude valuables.

      As you will probably only want this policy for the 40 day duration it is important to find all costs involved. It is likely you will have to take out an annual policy and suffer the cancellation charges when you want the policy to cease. All these figures should be available before you take out the policy.

      Also, if you have a mortgage on the property, you may need to make sure they are happy with this scenario.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details


      Latest Activity


      • Subsidence cover
        I have trawled the internet etc. and made some phone calls but as soon as I mention the fact that the boundary wall in our front garden has developed cracks, we are refused cover.

        We have done some investigating and suspect that the cause of the cracks on the boundary wall is a large tree...
        08-08-2017, 06:49 AM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        Agreed. I found that out when shopping around before renewal with the existing insurer. Good job I did not tell the existing insurer where to go in a fit of pique....
        08-08-2017, 17:55 PM
      • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
        I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

        The council are useless and gave no help.

        My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

        Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
        08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
      • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
        What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
        08-08-2017, 16:23 PM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        I don't understand why you did n't make a claim under the current insurance?

        I had a similar situation with a front garden wall, was leaning. The insurance company sent a surveyor at no cost to me.

        Whilst the house had strong foundation and was n't impacted by subsidence....
        08-08-2017, 15:48 PM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        I believe you are over thinking this. You definitely want your existing policy to continue, as this will likely be the only firm who will insure for subsidence at a reasonable cost in the future. Also, I would not like to try to claim on your old policy if you have stopped it in favour of someone e...
        08-08-2017, 10:09 AM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        We shopped around a bit when our existing insurer gave us the renewal quote and terms. We could not (at that time) find any other insurer that would offer us an all-inclusive policy. They either declined to insure us or offered to insure us on FLEA terms so we grudgingly renewed on FLEA terms with our...
        08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        I would just pay the premium asked. The cost of the works should be covered under last year's policy, assuming you claimed. (Did/have you?)

        Changing companies now will be incredibly expensive, if you are able to get cover at all.
        08-08-2017, 09:46 AM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        Tee hee. Crack on, I get it!

        Seriously though - we first noticed a small crack on the boundary wall around 8 months ago while we were still within an 'all-inclusive' insurance policy. We set out about monitoring the crack and sure enough it got bigger and bigger as the months went by. We...
        08-08-2017, 09:33 AM
      • Contents Insurance
        Is it legal for a landlord to insist that their tenant has adequate insurance for their contents and accidental damage to the landlord's property?

        I'm a relatively small independent agency, so I don't "sell" insurances, but I always thought you couldn't force someone to take an...
        08-08-2017, 08:39 AM