Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Easy is it to obtain insurance on a house with previous subsidence

Hi,

I want to know how easy/hard it is to obtain insurance on a house which was underpinned 5 years ago, the guarantee is still in place.

When I searched online, it turns out that the normal moneysupermarket wouldbn't be any good, I know insurance will be a bit more, but how much more ?

Also they are asking for details of claims, I have never made claims on the insurance before, it was the previous owner, I dont know how much the cost of the claim is etc, do I have to keep declaring info that I know nothing about ?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say that it shouldn't be a huge issue, as it's surely better than getting insurance on one that is next door to a house that has subsided :-).

That's the "what's worse than a worm in your apple - half a worm in your apple" factor.

But it will only be a proportion of insurance companies, and I am wrong with great regularity.

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

First up, trying to get a quote online is probably wasting your time. Most online quote engines have it built in that as soon as it catches the merest whiff of the word subsidence it doesn't quote.

Why not use the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory and ring a few of the helpful brokers you find there.

It sounds as though you may be getting two sections of the insurance proposal slightly confused. An insurer will normally ask your personal history which includes claims. Your answer to this is "No" as you have not personally made any claims. There should be a separate section asking about the property and it's history. To this you would need to answer that there has been a subsidence history and simply provide all the information you can.

When speaking to insurers, you may need to provide an up to date building survey and/or details of the subsidence work/guarantee. There's no saying what outcome there will be as each insurer will treat it on an individual basis but there shouldn't be any major issues in getting cover.

Good luck
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Subsidence cover
        Lorimer
        I have trawled the internet etc. and made some phone calls but as soon as I mention the fact that the boundary wall in our front garden has developed cracks, we are refused cover.

We have done some investigating and suspect that the cause of the cracks on the boundary wall is a large tree...
        08-08-2017, 06:49 AM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        Lorimer
        Agreed. I found that out when shopping around before renewal with the existing insurer. Good job I did not tell the existing insurer where to go in a fit of pique....
        08-08-2017, 17:55 PM
      • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
        Flashback1966
        I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

The council are useless and gave no help.

My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
        08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
      • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
        JK0
        What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
        08-08-2017, 16:23 PM
        Flashback1966
        I don't understand why you did n't make a claim under the current insurance?

I had a similar situation with a front garden wall, was leaning. The insurance company sent a surveyor at no cost to me.

Whilst the house had strong foundation and was n't impacted by subsidence....
        08-08-2017, 15:48 PM
        JK0
        I believe you are over thinking this. You definitely want your existing policy to continue, as this will likely be the only firm who will insure for subsidence at a reasonable cost in the future. Also, I would not like to try to claim on your old policy if you have stopped it in favour of someone e...
        08-08-2017, 10:09 AM
        Lorimer
        We shopped around a bit when our existing insurer gave us the renewal quote and terms. We could not (at that time) find any other insurer that would offer us an all-inclusive policy. They either declined to insure us or offered to insure us on FLEA terms so we grudgingly renewed on FLEA terms with our...
        08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
        JK0
        I would just pay the premium asked. The cost of the works should be covered under last year's policy, assuming you claimed. (Did/have you?)

Changing companies now will be incredibly expensive, if you are able to get cover at all.
        08-08-2017, 09:46 AM
        Lorimer
        Tee hee. Crack on, I get it!

Seriously though - we first noticed a small crack on the boundary wall around 8 months ago while we were still within an 'all-inclusive' insurance policy. We set out about monitoring the crack and sure enough it got bigger and bigger as the months went by. We...
        08-08-2017, 09:33 AM
      • Contents Insurance
        HantsAgent
        Is it legal for a landlord to insist that their tenant has adequate insurance for their contents and accidental damage to the landlord's property?

I'm a relatively small independent agency, so I don't "sell" insurances, but I always thought you couldn't force someone to take an...
        08-08-2017, 08:39 AM
      Working...
      X