Insurance for proposed purchase with crack in wall

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insurance for proposed purchase with crack in wall

    I am in process of trying to purchase a flat in an Edwardian house with a crack in the side wall. The valuation by my mortgage provider said no signs of movement, subsidence etc. my building surveyor thought the crack a sign of movement but couldn't be sure.

    Once purchased the freehold will transfer over to me and the buyer of the other flat. Is there likely to be a problem transferring the existing insurance policy over to us? Will we have to re-apply for a new policy? If so is it likely to be very difficult or costly to get insurance?

    Is there anything else I should be aware of here?

  • #2
    It is unlikely you will be able to transfer an insurance policy over. The insurance in place at the moment is based on the current owner, their personal information, their use of the property and their declared details of the property.

    When arranging your own insurance, you simply need to declare all of the information you have just shared here and let the insurer make the decision. It would be best to speak to a broker who has several insurers at their disposal as they will know what ones are best to approach with this.

    The broker/insurer you approach may wish to see an up to date surveyors report so they can make a decision. They may simply okay everything normal terms or maybe with an increased premium or they may exclude subsidence cover or even decline cover altogether. It is impossible for me to say what is most likely without seeing the report.

    If you struggle to find an insurer to help then you can always approach the current owners insurance company and see if they can help. As they have current knowledge of the property they may be able to help you more than a new insurer but due to the data protection act it may be difficult for them to use such information.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


    • #3
      Thanks Ashburnham, that's helpful and I have started approaching Brokers directly


      Latest Activity


      • Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
        Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

        "We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

        Should any clause like this be legally based or...
        26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
      • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
        That looks like a very standards clause. For portable property, it stops you gaining extra money by selling it on Ebay. I think it is mainly for things that can or will be removed, but they would also want complete control of the site during any major rebuilding work.
        26-07-2017, 10:03 AM
      • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
        I can't answer specifically but it seems to me that any clause in an underwriter's policy which you sign up to when you take out insurance would be "legally based" under contract law.

        What kind of risks are you envisaging?
        26-07-2017, 09:12 AM
      • Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        Hi All

        I have had a buy to let for 11 years and recently while my wife and I were clearing the front guttering, she accidentally fell off a ladder into the front wall and caused it to collapse (she was not hurt, just bruised). I made a claim to my insurance company.

        I hold...
        19-07-2017, 16:37 PM
      • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        I agree with the others that for a wall in general, and a 'thick' wall like yours in particular to move that way just because someone essentially pushed on one side it must be inadequately designed and built.

        At least your wife is lucky because if the wall had not moved she would have hurt...
        21-07-2017, 16:08 PM
      • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        A bit like a collapsing bumper on a car - a safety feature almost

        20-07-2017, 13:31 PM
      • Flood risk insurance
        Any ideas of landlord insurance with flood risk Please ? Struggling and loosing the will...
        19-07-2017, 23:17 PM
      • Reply to Flood risk insurance
        Insurance broker, not an online application - ads on this site somewhere.
        20-07-2017, 13:10 PM
      • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        I'd have thought that if the wall hadn't fallen over, the wife could have been badly hurt.
        20-07-2017, 13:09 PM
      • Reply to Flood risk insurance
        Direct Line?
        20-07-2017, 11:57 AM