• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insurance

    own a flat in a converted house and took out insurance for the building as part of my mortgage, share of freehold, bought it a month ago.

    The lessee who owns the flat above now wants me to pay for some storm damage to his flat that happened before i owned. as im the new owner am i responsible to pay for his repair or should he contact old owners? because he said he knew of the problem for a two months.

    there also seems to be two insurance policies in place, one for the previous owner, he paid half and the one in my name which he has not paid yet.will my new insurance supercede the old one? if it supercedes will i haveto reimburse him for the months left on his old policy or will he chase the old owner?

    the lessee said he wants to claim off my policy even though the damage happened before I took the policy out and bought the place? is this fraud?
    he he is entitled to claim off my insurance will i have to pay half of his excess?? this is an ongoing problem he has not dealt with maybe because the old owner refused

    any ideas greatly appreciated!

  • #2
    First, as you know, you are the freeholder and are responsible,
    via the lease, to maintain the building and the money for this comes
    from all the flat owners.

    But i use the following to make my point.
    You buy a car and after a year you fnd the car was damaged
    underneath by the previous owner, and needs fixing as it will
    fail it's M.O.T. when due.
    You cannot go to the previous owner to fix a car that he no longer
    has any obligation to fix.

    You are the freeholder and have to maintain the building.
    If the insurance will cover storm damage, then they fix.
    If there is an excess to pay, this comes out of the service charge
    / current bank balance. ( excess paid by all leaseholders )

    If you are the freeholder, YOU claim on your insurance policy.

    If the storm damage occured when theother policy was in force,
    and stil in force, you claim off that.
    Often if someone cancels aninsurance policy, there may be no
    All this should have been sorted out when buying the freehold.
    (insurance overlaps )
    There is NO fraud here.
    The building has suffered storm damage, it has to be fixed, you
    are the freeholder and are legaly obliged to fix it.

    The only problem i see is if storm damaged occured before your
    insurance was in effect, then they wont pay out.
    If the previous insurance policy is still running, you see IF you
    can claim on that ( may have to be the person whose signature
    is on the insurance policy / the person named that has to claim.

    Ref "am i responsible to pay for his repair"

    It is not "his" repair, it's maintaining the building / repairing a
    fault that is probably now an emergency, so don't hang around
    or the top flat can sue you for failing to maintain the building,
    and compensation for damage to personal property.

    If the insurance wont pay out, then the cost of repairs is divided
    between the number of flats.

    Best of luck.



    Latest Activity


    • Any recommendations for boiler cover
      I had a bad experience this past year with 24/7 home rescue, where they ripped me off when my boiler broke down. This was because my boiler is quite old and they deemed it beyond economical repair. I was looking into Homeserve policies as i have had good experience with their plumbing cover, but it...
      02-08-2017, 14:48 PM
    • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
      Stef Cooke
      We had BG fit our new boiler but will never allow any of their servicing engineers to look at it again. The first service the engineer turned up, said it couldn't be serviced as it had been boxed in... I epxlained that the cover slid foward, had no upward movement,. He said he couldn't do that without...
      22-08-2017, 15:39 PM
    • Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
      Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

      "We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

      Should any clause like this be legally based or...
      26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
    • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
      My Policy wording says:

      'Following a claim you must allow us or anyone authorised by us
      a access to premises
      b to take possession of,
      or request delivery to us of any property insured'
      Policy is based on the contract you have signed....
      22-08-2017, 12:13 PM
    • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
      British Gas are good and reliable but very pricey. When my old 30 year old boiler broke down 10 years ago they could not find parts so I had to replace with a modern. The new boiler is much more economical in fuel but will last 10 to 15 years they tell me.
      22-08-2017, 09:09 AM
    • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
      I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

      The council are useless and gave no help.

      My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

      Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
      08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
    • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
      I have same experience with 4 leaks in less than a year. My ceiling is very damaged. Insurance rose 7% even with the first settled claim which is now reoppened. There are 2 more to settle. The issue is to compare the legal cost and time of suing someone with the compansation you get and the chances...
      22-08-2017, 09:02 AM
    • Landlords contents insurance
      My landlords contents insurance is up for renewal shortly. The property is only part furnished so probably only c£3k of contents (buildings insurance is arranged separately via management company). Anyone got any recommendations for cheapest insurer for such a low value of contents needing insuring....
      21-08-2017, 16:47 PM
    • Reply to Landlords contents insurance
      I took contents cover with Direct Line just so I had landlord's liability cover. It's about £100 per property.
      21-08-2017, 22:50 PM
    • Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
      John Youngs
      I am in the process of purchasing a new 125 year lease on a BTL flat. The current lease says that in the event of a rebuild of the block being necessary the freeholder will pay any shortfall between the insured value & the rebuilding costs. The new lease removes this liability so only the insured...
      19-08-2017, 12:05 PM