Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commercial building insurance

Hi everyone
    I am very confused and looking for clarification. I rent a commercial property and therefore have to contribute towards my landlords building insurance. Is the insurance premium calculated on current property value or on previous valuation say 2008?

Insurance premiums are calculated using many different factors. The value of the property is not normally used and it is in fact the rebuilding cost that it should be based upon. The rebuilding cost, or building sum insured (BSI) as it is more commonly referred to, is usually obtained from an up to date building survey.

Regardless of what it should be based upon, the insurance premium will only be calculated upon the declared values at the time of taking out the insurance. Some people like to declare a slightly higher BSI than their survey suggests just to give peace of mind that they are not under-insuring their property.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the BSI may change each year due to index linking by the Insurance Company.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details

Comment

Thankyou for the help ashburnham.
      I do understand that the insurance company will calculate the premium on the declared value and the landlord is going to over insure but can he do so to the tune of approximately £80,000! Surely not??
      Please advise.

Comment

From the insurance point of view, there is nothing necessarily wrong with over insuring by any amount as you will only be able to claim for the true rebuilding cost at the time of a claim. A vaguely similar thing happens every day in the car insurance world when you declare the value of your car to be £10,000 which was the price you paid the dealer then when you come to claim for a total loss a week later they give you the market value of £8,000. You could of said it was worth £20,000 and potentially paid extra premium but obviously would of been a waste of money as £8,000 is the max they would of paid.

Anyway, moving away from the insurance view and taking a personal view, if the property is say, £150,000 BSI and the landlord is insuring it for £230,000 BSI and there is evidential proof of this (i.e. an up to date building survey) then surely you are allowed to challenge why the landlord is over insuring by such a large amount especially if these additional costs are being passed on to you.

I'm sure one of the legal/lease experts here can give some further advice on how you stand with this.
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details

Comment

Thankyou once again

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
            Guby
            Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

"We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

Should any clause like this be legally based or...
            26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
          • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
            leaseholder64
            That looks like a very standards clause. For portable property, it stops you gaining extra money by selling it on Ebay. I think it is mainly for things that can or will be removed, but they would also want complete control of the site during any major rebuilding work.
            26-07-2017, 10:03 AM
          • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
            tatemono
            I can't answer specifically but it seems to me that any clause in an underwriter's policy which you sign up to when you take out insurance would be "legally based" under contract law.

What kind of risks are you envisaging?
            26-07-2017, 09:12 AM
          • Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
            nfp40
            Hi All

I have had a buy to let for 11 years and recently while my wife and I were clearing the front guttering, she accidentally fell off a ladder into the front wall and caused it to collapse (she was not hurt, just bruised). I made a claim to my insurance company.

I hold...
            19-07-2017, 16:37 PM
          • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
            jjlandlord
            I agree with the others that for a wall in general, and a 'thick' wall like yours in particular to move that way just because someone essentially pushed on one side it must be inadequately designed and built.

At least your wife is lucky because if the wall had not moved she would have hurt...
            21-07-2017, 16:08 PM
            MrShed
            A bit like a collapsing bumper on a car - a safety feature almost

(jk)...
            20-07-2017, 13:31 PM
          • Flood risk insurance
            Sunshine2014
            Any ideas of landlord insurance with flood risk Please ? Struggling and loosing the will...
            19-07-2017, 23:17 PM
          • Reply to Flood risk insurance
            jpkeates
            Insurance broker, not an online application - ads on this site somewhere.
            20-07-2017, 13:10 PM
            jpkeates
            I'd have thought that if the wall hadn't fallen over, the wife could have been badly hurt.
            20-07-2017, 13:09 PM
          • Reply to Flood risk insurance
            JK0
            Direct Line?
            20-07-2017, 11:57 AM
          Working...
          X