buidlings insurance for two flats in a converted terraced house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • buidlings insurance for two flats in a converted terraced house

    Hi everyone, I am a freeholder of a terraced house converted into 2 flats. I also own and occupy the ground floor flat. I phoned HSBC for a buildings insurance quote and they referred me to their partner, Premium Scanner, who quoted £850 premium. I also phoned Halifax and was quoted £333. The difference between the two is that Halifax is essentially covering a “terraced house” with a total of 4 bedrooms (the flats have 2-bedrooms each), where as Premium scanner is covering “two self-contained 2-bedroom flats in a converted terraced house.” My question is, should I go ahead with Premium Scanner because it is a specialist insurance provider and would therefore provide me with the correct building insurance? It’s very tempting to go for Halifax but I’m not sure about them simplifying it to just a 4-bedroom property, implying that it is owned and occupied by only one family! Also, my upstairs neighbours are planning to rent out their flat, which will make it even more complicated because the ground floor flat is owner-occupied and first floor flat will be tenant-occupied! Any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    There is no point in taking insurance based on a lie as it will never pay out.


    • #3
      Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      There is no point in taking insurance based on a lie as it will never pay out.
      This is exactly what I thought when I spoke to the Halifax agent. She referred me to her manager, who reassured me that they do this all the time. I asked them if they could specify in the policy that it is a converted house split into 2 flats, but he said he could not do that, instead he could add a "note" in the policy stating the names of the owners of the first floor flat.


      • #4
        [JK0 name deleted] do it all the time?

        How corrupt eh? Fancy taking money off people for a policy they know they'll never have to pay out on.


        • #5
          Certainly avoid the Halifax policy unless they can specifically put in the policy schedule that the property being insured is a terraced house converted into two self contained flats.

          The PS policy sounds very expensive unless we are talking an extremely large property and/or other issues (i.e. flood/subsidence/claims history, etc.).

          I think your best option will be to get another few quotes before making your decision. A good landlords insurance broker will be able to give you an insurance policy exactly to your needs and almost certainly at a lot better price.

          You can always visit the LandlordZONE Insurance Directory for some ideas.
          Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
          LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
          See my profile for contact details


          • #6
            Thanks ashburnham for your advice. I'll have a look at the insurance directory and hopefully get something less expensive than Premium Scanner.


            • #7
              We also have 2 flats in a terraced house. We struggled with insurance also and found mainstream insurers weren't prepared to cover. We eventually went through a broker and are now insured via Nelson. We haven't had to claim. The premium is currently £827. I wouldn't take any risks as far as insurance goes. Best of luck.


              • #8

                What re-instatement value have you insured for your building to cost 827 pounds ?

                Did you have any previous claims record within last 3 years ?


                • #9
                  Hi Gordon 999
                  Reinstatement value £260k - don' recall how we ended up at that number but remember discussions around it at the time.

                  You raise some interesting points re propery owner's vs householder insurance.

                  With both of your comments, am now wondering if our insurance is fit for purpose and will check in more detail what we have. Thanks


                  Latest Activity


                  • Any recommendations for boiler cover
                    I had a bad experience this past year with 24/7 home rescue, where they ripped me off when my boiler broke down. This was because my boiler is quite old and they deemed it beyond economical repair. I was looking into Homeserve policies as i have had good experience with their plumbing cover, but it...
                    02-08-2017, 14:48 PM
                  • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
                    Stef Cooke
                    We had BG fit our new boiler but will never allow any of their servicing engineers to look at it again. The first service the engineer turned up, said it couldn't be serviced as it had been boxed in... I epxlained that the cover slid foward, had no upward movement,. He said he couldn't do that without...
                    22-08-2017, 15:39 PM
                  • Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
                    Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

                    "We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

                    Should any clause like this be legally based or...
                    26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
                  • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
                    My Policy wording says:

                    'Following a claim you must allow us or anyone authorised by us
                    a access to premises
                    b to take possession of,
                    or request delivery to us of any property insured'
                    Policy is based on the contract you have signed....
                    22-08-2017, 12:13 PM
                  • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
                    British Gas are good and reliable but very pricey. When my old 30 year old boiler broke down 10 years ago they could not find parts so I had to replace with a modern. The new boiler is much more economical in fuel but will last 10 to 15 years they tell me.
                    22-08-2017, 09:09 AM
                  • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
                    I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

                    The council are useless and gave no help.

                    My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

                    Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
                    08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
                  • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
                    I have same experience with 4 leaks in less than a year. My ceiling is very damaged. Insurance rose 7% even with the first settled claim which is now reoppened. There are 2 more to settle. The issue is to compare the legal cost and time of suing someone with the compansation you get and the chances...
                    22-08-2017, 09:02 AM
                  • Landlords contents insurance
                    My landlords contents insurance is up for renewal shortly. The property is only part furnished so probably only c£3k of contents (buildings insurance is arranged separately via management company). Anyone got any recommendations for cheapest insurer for such a low value of contents needing insuring....
                    21-08-2017, 16:47 PM
                  • Reply to Landlords contents insurance
                    I took contents cover with Direct Line just so I had landlord's liability cover. It's about £100 per property.
                    21-08-2017, 22:50 PM
                  • Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
                    John Youngs
                    I am in the process of purchasing a new 125 year lease on a BTL flat. The current lease says that in the event of a rebuild of the block being necessary the freeholder will pay any shortfall between the insured value & the rebuilding costs. The new lease removes this liability so only the insured...
                    19-08-2017, 12:05 PM