Insurance quandary

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insurance quandary

    I have landlords building insurance on my houses and landlords contents insurance on my flats as the buildings are insured by the freeholder. I have now bought a flat which I intend to rent out unfurnished, is there any insurance I can take out to cover me as a landlord which is linked to neither the building or the contents?

  • #2
    Cover you for what exactly !!


    • #3
      The other bits which come with landlords building or contents like public and property owners liability.


      • #4
        Jophus, I am guessing you have read this other thread:

        I just have £5000 contents cover from Directline for the appliances, curtains and carpets. I think for the small extra you will pay above liabilitly cover only, you might as well cover those other things.


        • #5
          There are many insurance policies a landlord can get. Obviously the main ones are buildings and contents that you are aware of but you can also get things like: rent guarantee, legal protection, emergency assistance to name the main ones.

          It is possible to obtain public and property owners liability in a separate standalone policy but in most circumstances these would be provided under the buildings/contents policy.
          Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
          LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
          See my profile for contact details


          Latest Activity


          • Subsidence cover
            I have trawled the internet etc. and made some phone calls but as soon as I mention the fact that the boundary wall in our front garden has developed cracks, we are refused cover.

            We have done some investigating and suspect that the cause of the cracks on the boundary wall is a large tree...
            08-08-2017, 06:49 AM
          • Reply to Subsidence cover
            Agreed. I found that out when shopping around before renewal with the existing insurer. Good job I did not tell the existing insurer where to go in a fit of pique....
            08-08-2017, 17:55 PM
          • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
            I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

            The council are useless and gave no help.

            My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

            Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
            08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
          • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
            What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
            08-08-2017, 16:23 PM
          • Reply to Subsidence cover
            I don't understand why you did n't make a claim under the current insurance?

            I had a similar situation with a front garden wall, was leaning. The insurance company sent a surveyor at no cost to me.

            Whilst the house had strong foundation and was n't impacted by subsidence....
            08-08-2017, 15:48 PM
          • Reply to Subsidence cover
            I believe you are over thinking this. You definitely want your existing policy to continue, as this will likely be the only firm who will insure for subsidence at a reasonable cost in the future. Also, I would not like to try to claim on your old policy if you have stopped it in favour of someone e...
            08-08-2017, 10:09 AM
          • Reply to Subsidence cover
            We shopped around a bit when our existing insurer gave us the renewal quote and terms. We could not (at that time) find any other insurer that would offer us an all-inclusive policy. They either declined to insure us or offered to insure us on FLEA terms so we grudgingly renewed on FLEA terms with our...
            08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
          • Reply to Subsidence cover
            I would just pay the premium asked. The cost of the works should be covered under last year's policy, assuming you claimed. (Did/have you?)

            Changing companies now will be incredibly expensive, if you are able to get cover at all.
            08-08-2017, 09:46 AM
          • Reply to Subsidence cover
            Tee hee. Crack on, I get it!

            Seriously though - we first noticed a small crack on the boundary wall around 8 months ago while we were still within an 'all-inclusive' insurance policy. We set out about monitoring the crack and sure enough it got bigger and bigger as the months went by. We...
            08-08-2017, 09:33 AM
          • Contents Insurance
            Is it legal for a landlord to insist that their tenant has adequate insurance for their contents and accidental damage to the landlord's property?

            I'm a relatively small independent agency, so I don't "sell" insurances, but I always thought you couldn't force someone to take an...
            08-08-2017, 08:39 AM