6 monthly inspections when letting to family

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 6 monthly inspections when letting to family

    Hi All,

    My wife and I rent our house from my parents, with a view to buying it off them in a couple of years.

    We have contents insurance, and my parents have buildings. On the buildings insurance policy, it states that:

    "It is a warranty of this policy that the property must be inspected every 6 months, internally and
    externally, by you or your representative(s) and maintained according to the minimum standard
    requirements of this policy. Records of these inspections must be kept and made available to us upon

    Can anyone tell me what is mean by a "representative" in this case? Clearly I can't inspect the house myself as I am the tenant, but could we get a friend to do it and send the records to my parents? Or would an insurance company be likely to object, in the event of us making a claim, that the inspections hadn't been carried out properly?

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.



  • #2
    I suspect it is a formality, designed more to be enforced in the case of high-risk tenants and I think it's extremely unlikely that the insurance company would ever want to see such reports...but you never know!

    Your parents can inspect it themselves or appoint an agent to do it for them - it can be anyone. If there was an inventory when you moved in, they could just check the state of the building itself inc. fixtures and fittings, and ignore all the contents.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations


    • #3
      Not much point asking here - parents should ask insurers, we can't tell you what insurers will or will not accept.

      Parents may have other problems: does mortgage (if any) permit renting to family members - many don't? Does insurance (landlord's I hope) permit renting to relos? Is there a current gas safe certificate? Is rental income (all!) declared to HMRC along with valid expenses?

      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      • #4
        "theartfullodger" makes some good points. Letting to a family member or friend is very common due to the relationship between the landlord and tenant but it seems that in a lot of these scenarios, the landlord does overlook many situations and does in fact make life slightly harder for themselves.

        Having family/friends in the property means you still have to do all the same things any other landlords would do such as the gas inspection for example.

        From my insurance perspective, there shouldn't be a problem obtaining landlords insurance that are happy with the tenant being family/friends but you would need to declare this situation before taking out a policy. Normal household insurance policies will almost certainly not allow this situation due to the fact the property is not owner occupied.

        You're parents buildings insurance policy is directed at them so when it says "you or your representative(s) must inspect the property every 6 months" it means your parents or someone professional on their behalf. As this is a family situation then your parents are likely to be visiting the property regularly anyway so they just need to make a written record every 6 months that all is in order. Just another one of these things that seems strange in a family/friend situation but must still be done to satisfy insurance/legal/etc requirements.
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details


        • #5
          Thanks all, for your input. I'm not sure about the details of the BTL mortgage, but I know they have a landlord's insurance policy and that the insurers are aware of the fact that my parents are renting to relatives. We also get a gas cert each year, as this can be done by the company that services our boiler.

          The issue with inspections is that my parents don't live close, and are in their sixties. When we visit, we go to them, rather than vice versa. This is why I wonder if a "representative" could do the inspections instead, and save them the journey.

          Sounds like we'll need to contact the insurance company and find out who would be acceptable to them as a representative of my parents.

          Thanks again for taking the time to reply.



          • #6
            Yes, only the insurer will be able to define "representative" to you. Obviously if a letting agent was involved then they would carry out these inspections. I'm pretty sure anyone who is acting on behalf of the landlord and is independent from you the tenant would be acceptable to conduct the inspection - the main thing the insurers are looking for is documentary evidence that your parents have been performing the necessary checks.
            Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
            LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
            See my profile for contact details


            Latest Activity


            • Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
              Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

              "We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

              Should any clause like this be legally based or...
              26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
            • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
              My Policy wording says:

              'Following a claim you must allow us or anyone authorised by us
              a access to premises
              b to take possession of,
              or request delivery to us of any property insured'
              Policy is based on the contract you have signed....
              22-08-2017, 12:13 PM
            • Any recommendations for boiler cover
              I had a bad experience this past year with 24/7 home rescue, where they ripped me off when my boiler broke down. This was because my boiler is quite old and they deemed it beyond economical repair. I was looking into Homeserve policies as i have had good experience with their plumbing cover, but it...
              02-08-2017, 14:48 PM
            • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
              British Gas are good and reliable but very pricey. When my old 30 year old boiler broke down 10 years ago they could not find parts so I had to replace with a modern. The new boiler is much more economical in fuel but will last 10 to 15 years they tell me.
              22-08-2017, 09:09 AM
            • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
              I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

              The council are useless and gave no help.

              My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

              Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
              08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
            • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
              I have same experience with 4 leaks in less than a year. My ceiling is very damaged. Insurance rose 7% even with the first settled claim which is now reoppened. There are 2 more to settle. The issue is to compare the legal cost and time of suing someone with the compansation you get and the chances...
              22-08-2017, 09:02 AM
            • Landlords contents insurance
              My landlords contents insurance is up for renewal shortly. The property is only part furnished so probably only c£3k of contents (buildings insurance is arranged separately via management company). Anyone got any recommendations for cheapest insurer for such a low value of contents needing insuring....
              21-08-2017, 16:47 PM
            • Reply to Landlords contents insurance
              I took contents cover with Direct Line just so I had landlord's liability cover. It's about £100 per property.
              21-08-2017, 22:50 PM
            • Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
              John Youngs
              I am in the process of purchasing a new 125 year lease on a BTL flat. The current lease says that in the event of a rebuild of the block being necessary the freeholder will pay any shortfall between the insured value & the rebuilding costs. The new lease removes this liability so only the insured...
              19-08-2017, 12:05 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
              John Youngs
              Thanks for the reply.

              The lease is down to 56 years, the new one will be 125.

              The current valuation for rebuilding is £7m & insurance is £10m so is ok now. But I wondered what incentive there is for freeholder to keep this up to date. perhaps what you say about adequate...
              19-08-2017, 14:12 PM