Insurance quandary

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insurance quandary

    Here's an odd one, hopefully someone know the answer.

    I own the leasehold to a flat in a converted 1850s building. The flat it was discovered has a chalk mine underneath and the council recently spent millions filling it in to make it safe. Regardless, the building insurance is very expensive I'm told (paid via maintenance payments).

    18 months ago one of my tenants pulled a cupboard onto his head and is seeking financial compensation (another story), leading me to get landlords insurance moving forward as this includes public liability.

    However I've been told I cant get landloards insurance as a) the building is already insured (can double insure I suppose) but b) the mine works mean no one will insure it.

    I don't really require buildings inusrance as that's already done, I think I just need the public liability insurance.

    My question is can I get this on its own and is it suitable for protecting me against tenants sueing me for injuries due to furniture etc? If I can get it, do I need one per property or just one for me full stop?

    Thank you all.

  • #2
    I have a Directline contents only landlord's policy which includes public liability for my rental flats. If I remember correctly, it is under £100 per flat.


    • #3
      A good contents only policy will usually have liability cover included. Alternatively it can be taken as a standalone liability policy.

      A similar discussion was held HERE a few months ago which may help.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details


      • #4
        Thanks both!


        • #5
          Hi guys, right, here's a good question for you.

          I did indeed take out a DirectLine landlords contents policy, specifically to get the public liability. Read this:

          Cover includes

          "Accidental Injury to any person other than an Employee (as defined in Section 6 of this Policy) if such an injury arises out of and in the course of their employment by You"

          I read to this to mean that accidental injury to tenants isn't covered. Direct Line swear blind that they are and this states they are. Thoughts?


          • #6
            I think it's saying that you are covered for injuring anyone except your employees isn't it?


            • #7
              I read this as any person is covered for accidental injury. Employees would be covered as well if their injury is not to do with their employment (in the unlikely event they were at the house for social reasons!).

              Employees injured during their employment would be covered by employers liability insurance which should be in place if you do employ anyone (normally a separate section of the insurance policy).

              To re-iterate, this is just how I personally read it and I would always confirm with the insurer in question to clarify the exact cover I have in place.
              Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
              LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
              See my profile for contact details


              • #8
                Thank you guys. I can see how you interpret it that way. I did call and they confirmed tenants are included but wouldn't put that in writing because they already have (in this clause). I think I'll go with it as I don't have many options. Thanks again


                Latest Activity


                • Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
                  Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

                  "We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

                  Should any clause like this be legally based or...
                  26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
                • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
                  My Policy wording says:

                  'Following a claim you must allow us or anyone authorised by us
                  a access to premises
                  b to take possession of,
                  or request delivery to us of any property insured'
                  Policy is based on the contract you have signed....
                  22-08-2017, 12:13 PM
                • Any recommendations for boiler cover
                  I had a bad experience this past year with 24/7 home rescue, where they ripped me off when my boiler broke down. This was because my boiler is quite old and they deemed it beyond economical repair. I was looking into Homeserve policies as i have had good experience with their plumbing cover, but it...
                  02-08-2017, 14:48 PM
                • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
                  British Gas are good and reliable but very pricey. When my old 30 year old boiler broke down 10 years ago they could not find parts so I had to replace with a modern. The new boiler is much more economical in fuel but will last 10 to 15 years they tell me.
                  22-08-2017, 09:09 AM
                • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
                  I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

                  The council are useless and gave no help.

                  My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

                  Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
                  08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
                • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
                  I have same experience with 4 leaks in less than a year. My ceiling is very damaged. Insurance rose 7% even with the first settled claim which is now reoppened. There are 2 more to settle. The issue is to compare the legal cost and time of suing someone with the compansation you get and the chances...
                  22-08-2017, 09:02 AM
                • Landlords contents insurance
                  My landlords contents insurance is up for renewal shortly. The property is only part furnished so probably only c£3k of contents (buildings insurance is arranged separately via management company). Anyone got any recommendations for cheapest insurer for such a low value of contents needing insuring....
                  21-08-2017, 16:47 PM
                • Reply to Landlords contents insurance
                  I took contents cover with Direct Line just so I had landlord's liability cover. It's about £100 per property.
                  21-08-2017, 22:50 PM
                • Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
                  John Youngs
                  I am in the process of purchasing a new 125 year lease on a BTL flat. The current lease says that in the event of a rebuild of the block being necessary the freeholder will pay any shortfall between the insured value & the rebuilding costs. The new lease removes this liability so only the insured...
                  19-08-2017, 12:05 PM
                • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
                  John Youngs
                  Thanks for the reply.

                  The lease is down to 56 years, the new one will be 125.

                  The current valuation for rebuilding is £7m & insurance is £10m so is ok now. But I wondered what incentive there is for freeholder to keep this up to date. perhaps what you say about adequate...
                  19-08-2017, 14:12 PM