Newly purchased property; unoccupied insurance required?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Newly purchased property; unoccupied insurance required?

    I'm in the process of buying 3 properties. 2 are tenanted, 1 is vacant.

    I'm aware that many insurance companies allow unoccupied periods within the normal scheme of things. These are limited, the one I had on a previous property was 45 consecutive days.

    My question: as the property will be vacant from day 1, can I take out a 'normal' landlord's buildings cover; in the hope that I find a tenant within 45 days (quite likely in the current market). Or, do I need to take out an expensive vacant policy for a short term, then a standard policy when someone moves in?


  • #2
    I can only speak for the insurers we deal with - and even those are all different, so don't take what I say as how it is across the board. We have two main options available to our customers who have properties initally unoccupied...

    The most popular is to take out a "normal" landlords building insurance but as the property is initially unoccupied, the cover is initially restricted. Our insurers range in time limits to get the property occupied (i.e. 30/60/90/etc days) but once occupied, the cover increases to the standard cover. The price you pay at the start is the same as a normal landlords policy as if it were occupied, the only difference is that the cover is initially restricted.

    The second option is to take out an "unoccupied" landlords building insurance. These policies offer more cover (i.e. standard not restricted) but are more expensive. Once it becomes occupied it converts to a normal landlords policy which is usually cheaper consequently resulting in a rebate of premium at this stage.

    It is of course different when a property becomes unoccupied during an existing insurance policy. Most insurers will allow at least 30 days without cover/premium being affected. Unfortunately when it is unoccupied from inception you do not benefit from this luxury and are usually stuck with one of the two above options.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


    • #3
      That's really useful, thanks. I'll speak to an/ various insurers before I take out a policy rather than getting on online, which is my usual way.


      Latest Activity


      • Subsidence cover
        I have trawled the internet etc. and made some phone calls but as soon as I mention the fact that the boundary wall in our front garden has developed cracks, we are refused cover.

        We have done some investigating and suspect that the cause of the cracks on the boundary wall is a large tree...
        08-08-2017, 06:49 AM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        Agreed. I found that out when shopping around before renewal with the existing insurer. Good job I did not tell the existing insurer where to go in a fit of pique....
        08-08-2017, 17:55 PM
      • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
        I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

        The council are useless and gave no help.

        My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

        Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
        08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
      • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
        What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
        08-08-2017, 16:23 PM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        I don't understand why you did n't make a claim under the current insurance?

        I had a similar situation with a front garden wall, was leaning. The insurance company sent a surveyor at no cost to me.

        Whilst the house had strong foundation and was n't impacted by subsidence....
        08-08-2017, 15:48 PM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        I believe you are over thinking this. You definitely want your existing policy to continue, as this will likely be the only firm who will insure for subsidence at a reasonable cost in the future. Also, I would not like to try to claim on your old policy if you have stopped it in favour of someone e...
        08-08-2017, 10:09 AM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        We shopped around a bit when our existing insurer gave us the renewal quote and terms. We could not (at that time) find any other insurer that would offer us an all-inclusive policy. They either declined to insure us or offered to insure us on FLEA terms so we grudgingly renewed on FLEA terms with our...
        08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        I would just pay the premium asked. The cost of the works should be covered under last year's policy, assuming you claimed. (Did/have you?)

        Changing companies now will be incredibly expensive, if you are able to get cover at all.
        08-08-2017, 09:46 AM
      • Reply to Subsidence cover
        Tee hee. Crack on, I get it!

        Seriously though - we first noticed a small crack on the boundary wall around 8 months ago while we were still within an 'all-inclusive' insurance policy. We set out about monitoring the crack and sure enough it got bigger and bigger as the months went by. We...
        08-08-2017, 09:33 AM
      • Contents Insurance
        Is it legal for a landlord to insist that their tenant has adequate insurance for their contents and accidental damage to the landlord's property?

        I'm a relatively small independent agency, so I don't "sell" insurances, but I always thought you couldn't force someone to take an...
        08-08-2017, 08:39 AM