Insurance claim

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insurance claim


    Recently we had water leak in our flat. The leak was due to a common Building pipe and not from any pipe in my flat. The Building manag. company (they look after the building insurance) paid for getting the leak fixed. However the leak also spoilt the carpet in one of the rooms. The carpet had to be replaced ( around £ 200) as it was stinking badly, I paid for this replacement. When I asked for the payment of the carpet replacement from the Bldg. manag., they have sent me a 75 page Building insurance document and asked me to talk to the Building insurance company and sort the payment on my own with the insurance company. The Building insurance is being looked after by the building manag. company (before it was managed by the lease owners). I have also recently paid 400 quid towards my annual building insurance contribution to them. My question is am I supposed to understand these 75 pages of insuance document or would this normally be done by the Bldg. manag. company?

    Any help would be highly appreciated

    Thanks in Advance

  • #2
    Reading and understanding an Insurance document, especially when they are the length you make reference too can be hard work. Most insurance companies have claims helplines now to call and report/discuss potential claims. Give them a ring and see how you get on.
    Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
    LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
    See my profile for contact details


    • #3
      I agree with Ash, call the insurance company or the broker as they are the experts and are there to help you.


      Latest Activity


      • Any recommendations for boiler cover
        I had a bad experience this past year with 24/7 home rescue, where they ripped me off when my boiler broke down. This was because my boiler is quite old and they deemed it beyond economical repair. I was looking into Homeserve policies as i have had good experience with their plumbing cover, but it...
        02-08-2017, 14:48 PM
      • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
        Stef Cooke
        We had BG fit our new boiler but will never allow any of their servicing engineers to look at it again. The first service the engineer turned up, said it couldn't be serviced as it had been boxed in... I epxlained that the cover slid foward, had no upward movement,. He said he couldn't do that without...
        22-08-2017, 15:39 PM
      • Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
        Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

        "We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

        Should any clause like this be legally based or...
        26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
      • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
        My Policy wording says:

        'Following a claim you must allow us or anyone authorised by us
        a access to premises
        b to take possession of,
        or request delivery to us of any property insured'
        Policy is based on the contract you have signed....
        22-08-2017, 12:13 PM
      • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
        British Gas are good and reliable but very pricey. When my old 30 year old boiler broke down 10 years ago they could not find parts so I had to replace with a modern. The new boiler is much more economical in fuel but will last 10 to 15 years they tell me.
        22-08-2017, 09:09 AM
      • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
        I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

        The council are useless and gave no help.

        My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

        Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
        08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
      • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
        I have same experience with 4 leaks in less than a year. My ceiling is very damaged. Insurance rose 7% even with the first settled claim which is now reoppened. There are 2 more to settle. The issue is to compare the legal cost and time of suing someone with the compansation you get and the chances...
        22-08-2017, 09:02 AM
      • Landlords contents insurance
        My landlords contents insurance is up for renewal shortly. The property is only part furnished so probably only c£3k of contents (buildings insurance is arranged separately via management company). Anyone got any recommendations for cheapest insurer for such a low value of contents needing insuring....
        21-08-2017, 16:47 PM
      • Reply to Landlords contents insurance
        I took contents cover with Direct Line just so I had landlord's liability cover. It's about £100 per property.
        21-08-2017, 22:50 PM
      • Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
        John Youngs
        I am in the process of purchasing a new 125 year lease on a BTL flat. The current lease says that in the event of a rebuild of the block being necessary the freeholder will pay any shortfall between the insured value & the rebuilding costs. The new lease removes this liability so only the insured...
        19-08-2017, 12:05 PM