What would you do?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What would you do?

    I've agreed to buy 3 terraced houses, all in the same area. 2 are adjoining, and tenanted. The other is a mile or so away and will be vacant on completion.

    I'm considering insurance. Ideally I'd like a policy that provides for legal assistance and unpaid rent cover. I'm aware that rent cover generally isn't available (or effective, at least) for three months, when a house is already tenanted.

    I'm then thinking that one property will be vacant initially, and that I'd want rent insurance when a tenant is vetted and accepted. And, as I'm in the hands of solicitors, the completion dates will almost certainly not be the same for each property.

    All rather complicated!

    My question: would I be best to treat each property separately and get a specific policy for each? Or, could a broker perhaps get me a better deal as a 'block' policy? If so, any suggestions?(Manchester)

    Thanks for any replies.

  • #2
    Insure each one separately. Block policies usually seem ok but if terms are imposed on one of the houses, the premiums on the rest can be affected.


    • #3
      If give these details to a decent broker and ask the same question, they would take the time to look at both options for you and give you details of the positives and negatives of each.

      Block policies do obviously create discounts by putting all the properties with one insurer but for that to mean a saving, this one insurer needs to be the most competitive for all 3 houses. As they are all similar area and, I guess, similar sum insureds, etc, then this is quite possibly the case but even then the saving for just 3 houses would be quite small.

      It really is down to the individual requirements of yourself and the details of the specific properties. As one is initially unoccupied, it is likely this would be better on a separate policy due to the slightly different circumstances to the other two - in which case you may as well keep them all separate.

      No harm in asking for both options from the broker(s) you decide to contact and then you can make an informed decision.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details


      • #4
        Really helpful replies, thanks.


        Latest Activity


        • Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
          Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

          "We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

          Should any clause like this be legally based or...
          26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
        • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
          That looks like a very standards clause. For portable property, it stops you gaining extra money by selling it on Ebay. I think it is mainly for things that can or will be removed, but they would also want complete control of the site during any major rebuilding work.
          26-07-2017, 10:03 AM
        • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
          I can't answer specifically but it seems to me that any clause in an underwriter's policy which you sign up to when you take out insurance would be "legally based" under contract law.

          What kind of risks are you envisaging?
          26-07-2017, 09:12 AM
        • Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
          Hi All

          I have had a buy to let for 11 years and recently while my wife and I were clearing the front guttering, she accidentally fell off a ladder into the front wall and caused it to collapse (she was not hurt, just bruised). I made a claim to my insurance company.

          I hold...
          19-07-2017, 16:37 PM
        • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
          I agree with the others that for a wall in general, and a 'thick' wall like yours in particular to move that way just because someone essentially pushed on one side it must be inadequately designed and built.

          At least your wife is lucky because if the wall had not moved she would have hurt...
          21-07-2017, 16:08 PM
        • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
          A bit like a collapsing bumper on a car - a safety feature almost

          20-07-2017, 13:31 PM
        • Flood risk insurance
          Any ideas of landlord insurance with flood risk Please ? Struggling and loosing the will...
          19-07-2017, 23:17 PM
        • Reply to Flood risk insurance
          Insurance broker, not an online application - ads on this site somewhere.
          20-07-2017, 13:10 PM
        • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
          I'd have thought that if the wall hadn't fallen over, the wife could have been badly hurt.
          20-07-2017, 13:09 PM
        • Reply to Flood risk insurance
          Direct Line?
          20-07-2017, 11:57 AM