Garden wall not mentioned in deeds...covered?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden wall not mentioned in deeds...covered?

Hello,

I'd really appreciate your advice as I am having several problems of which this is just one re the property!

After months of issues with the drains blocking, we finally contacted our insurers as the last drain clearance guy told us he thought we may have a collapsed sewer pipe. Which we now know we do. The insurance company sent ANSA out to do the CCTV, they submitted their report and they came back today to do the work.

The same people who did the CCTV came back today, looked at our garden wall (old stone with cement render about 4 foot high) and said they hadn't noted it before. Their issue was that it is leaning and that as the area they need to dig runs along this wall, they would need to submit another report. They told my partner to ring the office and discuss the matter, and promptly sodded off.

The wall IS leaning and this was highlighted in the structural survey when my partner bought the property. However, it doesnt appear in the deeds or next door's deeds, so ownership is sketchy. We recently spoke to the owner of next door and he is happy for us to do whatever we want with the wall. Our property is a house of three flats.. we own the freehold to all and the ground floor leasehold. The other two flats are tenanted and the owners are not willing to spend any money on anything.

I am guessing that if the wall is not ours that the insurance company wont want to deal with this. I know the other leaseholders wont reply or want to deal, even though one of the tenants has complained about the toilet not flushing before. I am fed up dealing with morons and I would love to hear your comments as to what I need to do from here and what is likely to happen. Really appreciated.

Katherine

My two cents, for what it's worth:

If the wall has to be demolished to investigate the drain, does it really make any difference whether it belongs to you or the neighbour? It will still have to be re-built afterwards whether it is yours or the neighbour's.

Comment

My query is really who pays... are we covered? I can just see this becoming very difficult. If the insurance won't cover the removal of the wall, the other leaseholders will refuse to pay as they seem to refuse to pay for anything. Along with other issues with the property it is currently a real pain living here at the moment, sorry for moaning but it's been a bad year so far and this stuff just really doesn't help

Comment

Your insurer should pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
          John Youngs
          I am in the process of purchasing a new 125 year lease on a BTL flat. The current lease says that in the event of a rebuild of the block being necessary the freeholder will pay any shortfall between the insured value & the rebuilding costs. The new lease removes this liability so only the insured...
          19-08-2017, 12:05 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
          John Youngs
          Thanks for the reply.

The lease is down to 56 years, the new one will be 125.

The current valuation for rebuilding is £7m & insurance is £10m so is ok now. But I wondered what incentive there is for freeholder to keep this up to date. perhaps what you say about adequate...
          19-08-2017, 14:12 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
          leaseholder64
          Are you renewing because the lease is about to expire, or are you doing so in order to extend one that has at least 21 years to run.

In the latter case, you extend by exactly 90 years, and change the rent to one peppercorn per year (which will not, in practice, be demanded), without other...
          19-08-2017, 13:18 PM
        • Subsidence cover
          Lorimer
          I have trawled the internet etc. and made some phone calls but as soon as I mention the fact that the boundary wall in our front garden has developed cracks, we are refused cover.

We have done some investigating and suspect that the cause of the cracks on the boundary wall is a large tree...
          08-08-2017, 06:49 AM
        • Reply to Subsidence cover
          Lorimer
          Agreed. I found that out when shopping around before renewal with the existing insurer. Good job I did not tell the existing insurer where to go in a fit of pique....
          08-08-2017, 17:55 PM
        • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
          Flashback1966
          I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

The council are useless and gave no help.

My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
          08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
        • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
          JK0
          What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
          08-08-2017, 16:23 PM
          Flashback1966
          I don't understand why you did n't make a claim under the current insurance?

I had a similar situation with a front garden wall, was leaning. The insurance company sent a surveyor at no cost to me.

Whilst the house had strong foundation and was n't impacted by subsidence....
          08-08-2017, 15:48 PM
          JK0
          I believe you are over thinking this. You definitely want your existing policy to continue, as this will likely be the only firm who will insure for subsidence at a reasonable cost in the future. Also, I would not like to try to claim on your old policy if you have stopped it in favour of someone e...
          08-08-2017, 10:09 AM
          Lorimer
          We shopped around a bit when our existing insurer gave us the renewal quote and terms. We could not (at that time) find any other insurer that would offer us an all-inclusive policy. They either declined to insure us or offered to insure us on FLEA terms so we grudgingly renewed on FLEA terms with our...
          08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
        Working...
        X