Insurance for Leasehold Flat with Malicious Damage

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insurance for Leasehold Flat with Malicious Damage

    I'm struggling to find an insurer who will insure everything in my flat i.e. kitchen and bathroom fittings, fixtures, flooring + basic contents (white goods, carpets, curtains etc.). Since it's a leasehold flat, there is already buildings insurance cover on the building as a whole, but this doesn't cover replacing my fitted kitchen and bathroom. Several companies have told me they cannot insure this as I need buildings insurance to cover this, but since this is already covered under a separate policy, they can't give me another buildings insurance policy.

    I found one company today through searching on this site (Rentguard) who would do the above, but they don't cover malicious damage. In my mind, insurance is supposed to protect against all possible circumstances, and it's certainly possible that a tenant or one of their guests could cause significant damage within the flat which wouldn't be covered by their deposit. So I don't see the point in paying a premium and not being covered for as much as is reasonably possible.

    From the number I've tried, clearly I'm a square peg that doesn't fit into the round hole most landlords insurers provide - though I really can't see why what I want is so unusual. Can anyone name some specialist insurers who can actually tailor a square shaped hole for me?

  • #2
    Sounds like you are looking for the impossible dream as well as a square hole. Try finding an insurer who will pay for maintenance and I will buy you a drink!
    Every insurer has exclusions and unless you accept this, you are going to be disappointed.


    • #3
      I can understand there are always going to be some exclusions, but I don't think asking for a policy which protects my fixtures and fittings + basic contents from malicious damage is that much to ask? Why is this an impossible dream? What's the point of insurance if it doesn't protect against things like this?

      At any rate, as originally said, if anyone can let me know which specialist insurers they use, it would be appreciated.


      Latest Activity


      • Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        Hi All

        I have had a buy to let for 11 years and recently while my wife and I were clearing the front guttering, she accidentally fell off a ladder into the front wall and caused it to collapse (she was not hurt, just bruised). I made a claim to my insurance company.

        I hold...
        19-07-2017, 16:37 PM
      • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        I agree with the others that for a wall in general, and a 'thick' wall like yours in particular to move that way just because someone essentially pushed on one side it must be inadequately designed and built.

        At least your wife is lucky because if the wall had not moved she would have hurt...
        21-07-2017, 16:08 PM
      • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        A bit like a collapsing bumper on a car - a safety feature almost

        20-07-2017, 13:31 PM
      • Flood risk insurance
        Any ideas of landlord insurance with flood risk Please ? Struggling and loosing the will...
        19-07-2017, 23:17 PM
      • Reply to Flood risk insurance
        Insurance broker, not an online application - ads on this site somewhere.
        20-07-2017, 13:10 PM
      • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        I'd have thought that if the wall hadn't fallen over, the wife could have been badly hurt.
        20-07-2017, 13:09 PM
      • Reply to Flood risk insurance
        Direct Line?
        20-07-2017, 11:57 AM
      • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        that 300 mm is what you need for a wall to be built to regs and I agree with ram that as the wall wasn't constructed properly it was no wonder it fell over.

        The good news is that if you want to reconstruct it, it will be much cheaper than doing it properly and involve no digging up of your...
        20-07-2017, 08:57 AM
      • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        This wall is an after thought, as none of the other houses seem to have walls.

        If the wall has no concrete base going down about 300 mm and in width, as the insurance states, then that is why your wall moved over.
        It is plain to see the wall parted from the ground where there is little
        20-07-2017, 08:03 AM
      • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
        I am no expert but I wouldn't expect a wall to collapse when a person fell on it.
        19-07-2017, 20:52 PM