Insuring house that has had subsidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insuring house that has had subsidence

My property has some cracks. I am selling it, so a purchasers valuer noted these and recommended a structural report. The structural chap said, there is a drain that has probably caused this. He did not think the problem is getting worse.

I am however worrying about the possibilty that many insurers will decline to insure it! I need some advice from people with experience of such a problem, and recommendations on how to get insurance under these conditions. There must be many insurers who are willing to provide cover.

Originally posted by Wickerman
    Has the drain been replaced? For a drain to cause structural movement I would expect the drain to have collapsed or become cracked; eg, it may get worse over time even though it seems like it is not getting worse.

As to insurance, you may be OK if you give the insurers the structural report - has worked for me in the past.

Thanks for your comments. The drain has not been repaired or known to have caused blockages. I will however, get it relined (that is the quickest solution). Once that is done, it should leak no more.

Comment

Help at hand

[
      Sadly most insurers will not touch this they will help without any additional fuss or costly reports
      Good luck

QUOTE=jonblair123;27432]My property has some cracks. I am selling it, so a purchasers valuer noted these and recommended a structural report. The structural chap said, there is a drain that has probably caused this. He did not think the problem is getting worse.

I am however worrying about the possibilty that many insurers will decline to insure it! I need some advice from people with experience of such a problem, and recommendations on how to get insurance under these conditions. There must be many insurers who are willing to provide cover.[/QUOTE]
      Last edited by Editor; 15-07-2008, 09:46 AM.
      Neil NEW direct dial 0208 8509697
      email

Comment

Help availiable

Sadly most insurers will not touch this But if you ring DeliteInsurance 02083162341 they will help without any additional fuss or costly reports
        Good luck

QUOTE=jonblair123;27432]My property has some cracks. I am selling it, so a purchasers valuer noted these and recommended a structural report. The structural chap said, there is a drain that has probably caused this. He did not think the problem is getting worse.

I am however worrying about the possibilty that many insurers will decline to insure it! I need some advice from people with experience of such a problem, and recommendations on how to get insurance under these conditions. There must be many insurers who are willing to provide cover.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
        Neil NEW direct dial 0208 8509697
        email

Comment

..thanks for the info..

Thank you al for the info. My problem is solved. The insurers loss adjuster came along, accepted the claim, put in a request for works to do. He said, it should not affect the sale of the property. I can assign the benefit of the claim to the new owner, and make out a cheque for the excess. The current insurer will carry on insuring the property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent Guarantee Insurance
            by oi2004as
            Hi

I would be interested in your view on the following

I received a renewal Legal & Rent Guarantee Insurance documents from Rentguard (which initiallyy I purchased through Openrent)

There is the following condition in their 'statement of fact':
            "The...
            11-07-2020, 11:59 AM
          • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
            by tatemono
            that's the rent guarantee insurance we use and which has worked for us for many years....
            13-07-2020, 20:58 PM
            by AndrewDod
            No 7.1 will not likely stand up in court. You cannot have open ended guarantor deeds that apply in this way robustly.

The fact that you have said that it will apply also to unknown rental increases, for an unknown term, and covers unknown costs means that it is likely invalid
            13-07-2020, 19:39 PM
            by oi2004as
            To jpkeates
            This is not about zero-risk option. The part which I do not like the most is that I become tenant-dependant for buying insurance.
            They may not reply to my email about their circumstances
            They may not provide correct information
            They may not allow to run re-referencing...
            13-07-2020, 19:14 PM
            by theartfullodger
            HOW was the guarantee documented please? Enacted as a deed? Guarantor credit checked, given AST & guarantee and advised to take legal advice prior to signing, please?...
            13-07-2020, 19:06 PM
            by oi2004as
            To AndrewDod
            I have a guarantor on this Tenancy Agreement.
            This is 12-month fixed and then becoming rolling (monthly) contactual agreement.
            The guarantor is a party to the agreement (signed)
            The agreement has the following clauses:
            7.1 In consideration of the Landlord agreeing...
            13-07-2020, 19:00 PM
            by jpkeates
            I think you're looking for a zero-risk option, but property letting is an investment business with risk baked in.
            I don't blame you! But I think you're going to struggle.

Like all of us, the rent guarantee insurance sellers didn't see the pandemic coming, and it wasn't covered in...
            13-07-2020, 16:25 PM
            by AndrewDod
            If a guarantor agreement is valid at all (which is a BIG if) it is not going to be valid past the initial fixed term (no matter what it says) - so as much use as non-stick Sellotape or Jeremy Corbyn....
            13-07-2020, 16:08 PM
            by Boab
            I doubt anyone in this town has ten years rent. I’m obviously being Uber selective on tenants , but I also wondered about guarantors as well. Does a guarantor have the absolute obligation to cover rent defaults or can they avoid paying as well?...
            13-07-2020, 15:47 PM
          • Buildings & Contents Insurance - Recommendations
            by landlord-man
            Can anyone recommend a broker / insurance provider? I have a 1st floor property with 4 flats.

I'm looking for recommendations on who provided a fair quote but also any recommendations on companies who actually paid out a claim promptly / fairly.

Thank You...
            13-07-2020, 10:57 AM
          Working...
          X