Yet another water leak question, shared block, contents excess ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another water leak question, shared block, contents excess ..

Hi all ..

I'm a director of a Residents management company which employs a property company. A situation has come up regarding a water leak and responsibility for paying the contents insurance excess of the property damaged.

Three story block. Flat in the middle which has suffered damage from a leak in the shared soil stack. So no-ones fault or any negligence, the repair was made very quickly after being reported. The blocks buildings insurance paid for the 'building' repairs, pipe, walls, ceiling etc and the service charge will cover the excess. But the owners carpet was also damaged and so he claimed from his contents insurance and now expects his contents excess to be refunded from the service charge fund.

The property company, after many emails now seem to agree with the owner and are advising the owner would probably have a case if taken to court. Which he's threatening to do.

The lease has nothing useful to add, or clarify ..

Reading a heap of threads on here and other sites it seems the legitimacy of the claim would come down to proving negligence. Which in this case I cant see any.

My argument with paying the excess would be the precedent it sets for future claims, and having no say on the owners choice of excess, which they'd then expect the service charge to pay.

Thoughts ?

More importantly an owners choice not to have contents insurance.

The owner made a commercial decision to not insure without an excess and bears that loss unless they can prove that there was an act omission or negligence, or a mix thereof.

While the facts and circumstances always present a risk of a verdict in his favour, you should point out that the cost of defending the case will be on the service charge.
    Check your building insurance for legal expenses cover/advice (and your directors and officers indemnity policy) to miminse the effect of fees.
    Similarly a letter from the lawyers explaining the position might dissuade and be a sensible investment.
    You can also force arbitration under the lease if the clause if broad enough.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent Guarantee Insurance
      by oi2004as
      Hi

I would be interested in your view on the following

I received a renewal Legal & Rent Guarantee Insurance documents from Rentguard (which initiallyy I purchased through Openrent)

There is the following condition in their 'statement of fact':
      "The...
      11-07-2020, 11:59 AM
    • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
      by tatemono
      that's the rent guarantee insurance we use and which has worked for us for many years....
      13-07-2020, 20:58 PM
      by AndrewDod
      No 7.1 will not likely stand up in court. You cannot have open ended guarantor deeds that apply in this way robustly.

The fact that you have said that it will apply also to unknown rental increases, for an unknown term, and covers unknown costs means that it is likely invalid
      13-07-2020, 19:39 PM
      by oi2004as
      To jpkeates
      This is not about zero-risk option. The part which I do not like the most is that I become tenant-dependant for buying insurance.
      They may not reply to my email about their circumstances
      They may not provide correct information
      They may not allow to run re-referencing...
      13-07-2020, 19:14 PM
      by theartfullodger
      HOW was the guarantee documented please? Enacted as a deed? Guarantor credit checked, given AST & guarantee and advised to take legal advice prior to signing, please?...
      13-07-2020, 19:06 PM
      by oi2004as
      To AndrewDod
      I have a guarantor on this Tenancy Agreement.
      This is 12-month fixed and then becoming rolling (monthly) contactual agreement.
      The guarantor is a party to the agreement (signed)
      The agreement has the following clauses:
      7.1 In consideration of the Landlord agreeing...
      13-07-2020, 19:00 PM
      by jpkeates
      I think you're looking for a zero-risk option, but property letting is an investment business with risk baked in.
      I don't blame you! But I think you're going to struggle.

Like all of us, the rent guarantee insurance sellers didn't see the pandemic coming, and it wasn't covered in...
      13-07-2020, 16:25 PM
      by AndrewDod
      If a guarantor agreement is valid at all (which is a BIG if) it is not going to be valid past the initial fixed term (no matter what it says) - so as much use as non-stick Sellotape or Jeremy Corbyn....
      13-07-2020, 16:08 PM
      by Boab
      I doubt anyone in this town has ten years rent. I’m obviously being Uber selective on tenants , but I also wondered about guarantors as well. Does a guarantor have the absolute obligation to cover rent defaults or can they avoid paying as well?...
      13-07-2020, 15:47 PM
    • Buildings & Contents Insurance - Recommendations
      by landlord-man
      Can anyone recommend a broker / insurance provider? I have a 1st floor property with 4 flats.

I'm looking for recommendations on who provided a fair quote but also any recommendations on companies who actually paid out a claim promptly / fairly.

Thank You...
      13-07-2020, 10:57 AM
    Working...
    X