Joint Landlords Insurance - Only one has it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint Landlords Insurance - Only one has it?

I am currently going through a divorce with my husband and we are joint owners of a business property which contains 2 offices and 1 retail shop.

I have found out he has taken out a business insurance policy on the property JUST in his name ONLY. Not mine at all. However I have rang natwest to try and then get an insurance policy in my name for the property but they said they won't give me a quote for those circumstances.

Is it even legal what my husband has done to get an insurance policy out on a building whereby I'm the joint owner and I'm not on the policy?

Thanks in advance!

The policy presumably covers the whole property; so insurance by only one of two joint owners must be for the benefit of both. You cannot think it wise to create double insurance; what on earth would be the benefit of that?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I understand that, I don't want two policies. But I do not speak to my husband, we are both joint owners, it is not my doing to have two separate policies. If anything I want his policy invalidated. I mean is it legal what he has even done. You kind of didn't answer my question, sorry :/

Comment

what you should do is write to the insurers with a copy of the registered title which can be downloaded from the land registry website for £4 per title; and inform them that you have an insurable interest in the risk, as co-propropietor but for administrative convenience they may continue to apply to your soon to be ex husband for the renewal premium. This should mean that in the event of a major claim you are not out of the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo101 View Post
          I understand that, I don't want two policies. But I do not speak to my husband, we are both joint owners
          Is the property going to stay jointly owned? Not necessarily a good idea, in the unfortunate circumstances.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Plus I do hope that you + he hold it as beneficial tenants in common.
            On the HMLR entries, is entry B1 [proprietors' names] followed by a 'form A' Restriction?
            If not, get it done AT ONCE. Also ask HMLR:
            a. to show your new address; and
            b. to add a Restriction in form LL (ensuring that anything purportedly executed by you is really by you).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              Is the property going to stay jointly owned? Not necessarily a good idea, in the unfortunate circumstances.
              No, hopefully on the final court hearing next week I shall be made the sole property owner.

@Jeffrey: I'm sorry I don't understand those abbreviations? I am not technically or legally like-minded

Comment

HMLR= HM Land Registry.
                There are dozens of varieties of permissible Restrictions. Ask your solicitor to verify the points in post #6.
                Even after the Court makes an Order next week, there will still need to be a Transfer (TR1) etc.; and what if something happens in the interim OR if the Order is delayed/refused? Get solicitor onto it RIGHT NOW.

Comment

Ringing them right now! Not happy at all with the idea of not being insured right now!

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo101 View Post
                    Ringing them right now! Not happy at all with the idea of not being insured right now!
                    But the insurance is valid, isn't it? It covers the property, not a person, so who's the policyholder for the time being is rather less significant than all the other points to which I've drawn your attention.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      But the insurance is valid, isn't it? It covers the property, not a person, so who's the policyholder for the time being is rather less significant than all the other points to which I've drawn your attention.
                      Surely the Reverse, if the wife is a proprietor she needs to ask the insurer to include her insurable interest so that she s has the benefit of cover against public liability risks, which are potentially more onerous to her than any other. In the event of a personal injury claim proceedings could be brought against her....

Comment

That's not "the reverse". As long as W's interest is noted/notified, it's not essential that the policy be in joint names. Also, personal injury claim proceedings would be against both joint owners (H and W).

Comment

You say that you should be made the sole owner of the property. In the interim why dont you approach another insurance company for a quote. I would be inclined to have a totally different policy in place when it becomes yours, so its in your own name. And once it is in your name the policy taken out by your husband "Is History" And on the day it becomes yours I would change the locks etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurance broker relationship
                            by Stacker
                            If the company is the freeholder called the principal and the directors called its agents. Could an insurance broker be called an agent of the company also and would the insurance broker owe fiduciary duties to the company?
                            07-07-2020, 19:02 PM
                          • Insurance premiums going through the roof
                            by flyingfreehold
                            Those seeking renewals of buildings policies will find that insurers are taking a much tougher line especially where there have been chunky losses and premia are rising dramatically

A broker put it to me this way. In 2020 insurers have made negative income on its investments therefore...
                            17-05-2020, 10:41 AM
                          • Reply to Insurance premiums going through the roof
                            by Section20z
                            desamax,

More likely there was a big claim and the renewal went up so the only way to get reasonable cover was to accept a high excess.
                            You can ask for claims history but I doubt they would tell you it had been declined, they don't normally decline renewals,. Just put price up so...
                            06-07-2020, 12:55 PM
                            by flyingfreehold
                            I think the present insurers are perfectly reputable. I cant see that there is a way of ascertaining that the previous insurer declined. Companies are fickle and they do from time to time exit specific types of cover....
                            06-07-2020, 08:53 AM
                            by desamax
                            Our excess have been increased, the 'escape of water' one is now 5K from £250 all others have doubled. This is a mixed use property all sold off on long leases. we have a feeling our landlord has had the insurance declined by the long standing insurer and we now have some unknown underwriter, the policy...
                            04-07-2020, 12:47 PM
                          • Leasehold Second Home insurance
                            by Rincewind
                            Hi All

I have a leasehold holiday home (flat).

The lease states: . . . "the lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common...
                            27-06-2020, 09:18 AM
                          • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
                            by Rincewind
                            yes but . . . the lease says

"The lessor will at all times during said term (unless such insurance shall be vitiated by any act or default of the Lessee) insure and keep insured the building including all common areas and common services against fire and such other risks (if any) as...
                            29-06-2020, 17:06 PM
                          • Reply to Building Insurance
                            by hexu
                            Hi ATC, I seem to misunderstand your point previously. My solicitor has written to the freeholder, but he does not accept our position. His reply is shown as below:

"Insurance companies are unable to cover the structure of the building and common parts of the building without taking...
                            27-06-2020, 19:00 PM
                          • Building Insurance
                            by hexu
                            The dispute has happened since the change of freehold.

I was told by my conveyancing solicitor that building insurance is arranged by the Landlord for the common parts only and I must insure the flat myself. My lender also informed building insurance I must take out to hold as a condition...
                            30-05-2020, 16:10 PM
                          • Reply to Leasehold Second Home insurance
                            by Section20z
                            I think your best bet is to notify the insurers directly that it is occasionally vacant for longer periods . (As long as your lease has no clause against it) otherwise you may be liable as you say.
                            Failing that make sure it's occupied at least once a month.
                            You can use C19 as a valid excuse...
                            27-06-2020, 12:01 PM
                          Working...
                          X