Insurance Claim - Settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance Claim - Settlement

I currently have a claim for water damage - Insurers Loss Adjusters have come up with a figure of £17,500 or so for their builders to rectify the problems caused - plus any loss of rent.

I would prefer to use my own builders and am seeking a settlement by cheque.

My insurance brokers for another property have told me that I am entitled to get £17,500 as a settlement plus loss of rent.

During initial conversations with the LA his view is the cash alternative would be lower - loss of rent is not in question

i.e the £17,500 figure would be negotiated downwards.

Does anyone know where I stand?

For info, I have one happening at the moment for water damage.

My options are:

a - Their contractor.
    b - My contractor (after 2 quotes).
    c - A cash settlement of 75% of the estimate (assume that would be of *their* estimate).

I'm also having an expert report at the "stripped while the damage can be seen" stage as insurance against their loss adjuster who appears to have missed some of the deeper seated damage - just in case there is a disagreement later. They will get a rapid email suggesting that "having stripped back the wet wallpaper and laminate floor, it is clear that damage may be more extensive than initially thought - photos attached - so I suggest a revisit by the loss adjuster".

In the context of several k for a claim, £250 for a report seems worth it.

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Thanks for that - interesting indeed.

They have offered me 80% but a better amount on loss of rent (he threw in a couple of weeks)

Who is doing the expert report?

i.e what type of surveyor?

Comment

Get yourself a Loss Assessor. Get your claimed handled by a professional

Comment

In our case we have an architect doing the report, but who has been involved in rented property for 30 years, i.e. someone who has been round the block enough to know where the manholes covered by circles of black cloth are located.

Perhaps insurance companies should sell policies against under-estimates of claims by insurance companies.

ML
          Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

[QUOTE=andy1967;

They have offered me 80% but a better amount on loss of rent (he threw in a couple of weeks)
            [/QUOTE]

Are you registered for VAT. When they offered you 80% of the estimate, was the estimate with VAT @ 20% to be added. If so a £17500 claim plus VAT becomes £21000 and 80% of that is £16800.
            And even at this stage I would get your own Chartered Loss Assessor. They charge a percentage of the claim but you could argue as you have allready been offered a figure they could only charge a percentage of what they can increase your claim by. I have used Loss Assessors on 3 occasions and have not regretted it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by oi2004as
              Hi

I would be interested in your view on the following

I received a renewal Legal & Rent Guarantee Insurance documents from Rentguard (which initiallyy I purchased through Openrent)

There is the following condition in their 'statement of fact':
              "The...
              11-07-2020, 11:59 AM
            • Reply to Rent Guarantee Insurance
              by tatemono
              that's the rent guarantee insurance we use and which has worked for us for many years....
              13-07-2020, 20:58 PM
              by AndrewDod
              No 7.1 will not likely stand up in court. You cannot have open ended guarantor deeds that apply in this way robustly.

The fact that you have said that it will apply also to unknown rental increases, for an unknown term, and covers unknown costs means that it is likely invalid
              13-07-2020, 19:39 PM
              by oi2004as
              To jpkeates
              This is not about zero-risk option. The part which I do not like the most is that I become tenant-dependant for buying insurance.
              They may not reply to my email about their circumstances
              They may not provide correct information
              They may not allow to run re-referencing...
              13-07-2020, 19:14 PM
              by theartfullodger
              HOW was the guarantee documented please? Enacted as a deed? Guarantor credit checked, given AST & guarantee and advised to take legal advice prior to signing, please?...
              13-07-2020, 19:06 PM
              by oi2004as
              To AndrewDod
              I have a guarantor on this Tenancy Agreement.
              This is 12-month fixed and then becoming rolling (monthly) contactual agreement.
              The guarantor is a party to the agreement (signed)
              The agreement has the following clauses:
              7.1 In consideration of the Landlord agreeing...
              13-07-2020, 19:00 PM
              by jpkeates
              I think you're looking for a zero-risk option, but property letting is an investment business with risk baked in.
              I don't blame you! But I think you're going to struggle.

Like all of us, the rent guarantee insurance sellers didn't see the pandemic coming, and it wasn't covered in...
              13-07-2020, 16:25 PM
              by AndrewDod
              If a guarantor agreement is valid at all (which is a BIG if) it is not going to be valid past the initial fixed term (no matter what it says) - so as much use as non-stick Sellotape or Jeremy Corbyn....
              13-07-2020, 16:08 PM
              by Boab
              I doubt anyone in this town has ten years rent. I’m obviously being Uber selective on tenants , but I also wondered about guarantors as well. Does a guarantor have the absolute obligation to cover rent defaults or can they avoid paying as well?...
              13-07-2020, 15:47 PM
            • Buildings & Contents Insurance - Recommendations
              by landlord-man
              Can anyone recommend a broker / insurance provider? I have a 1st floor property with 4 flats.

I'm looking for recommendations on who provided a fair quote but also any recommendations on companies who actually paid out a claim promptly / fairly.

Thank You...
              13-07-2020, 10:57 AM
            Working...
            X