Tennat has flooded house due to cold weather and not using the heating.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennat has flooded house due to cold weather and not using the heating.

Hi all,

Title says it all really.

Ive managed to fix the leak but the downstairs is soaking. Carpet and laminate flooring are ruined.

Unfortunatly i have just found out that the carpet which is the majority of the downstairs is not covered under my building insurance as it comes under contants?

Where do i stand here? What should i be doing with ragards to replacing? Should this come under tenants contents insurance?

If not can i take this out of tenants deposit if/when they leave?

Many thanks

Are you L? Do you reside there too? What sort of Letting Agreement does T have?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I am L,
      No i dont reside there,
      6months letting agreement which then rolls. But T is only 2 months in to start of contract. This was set up by my local estate agents for a finders fee but is managed by myself.

Comment

Did the leak occur because:
        a. you failed to comply with your inescapable duties under s.11 of LTA 1985; or
        b. T broke an obligation in the Letting Agreement?
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Eerm .. not sure. Sorry new to this.

Basically what has happend is the T has started renting the property beginning of Nov but due to problems has not actually fully moved in yet so the heating was left off for most of the bad freeze. Then when things have thored out a pipe has sprung a leak under the sink downstairs.

Does that help?

Comment

Please don't leave me Jeffery

Do you need anymore info from me?

Many thanks

Comment

T has not moved-in; but is there an explicit clause in the Letting Agreement re T's duty to heat?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
                Please don't leave me Jeffery
                Who's that, then?

Comment

Ahh not sure is this a normality or is it something i would have had to specify myself when the estate agents were creating the contract?

I'm at work at the moment, so havent got access to the agreement.

Cheers

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Possible underground leaking pipe
                    geek84
                    Good Morning Folks

I hope you're well. I have found that the carpet on my kitchen floor has has got wet patches in around 3 places. I have checked the walls and ceiling of the kitchen, including the rest of the house, and there doesn't seem to be water anywhere else.

I presume
                    24-08-2017, 06:47 AM
                  • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
                    Flashback1966
                    I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

The council are useless and gave no help.

My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
                    08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
                  • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
                    JK0
                    They probably did!

Just you gave them an excuse to put your premium up by claiming....
                    23-08-2017, 16:57 PM
                  • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
                    Flashback1966
                    >> What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
                    The landlord upstairs is a slippery character. My solicitor wrote a letter and it cost £300.

I thought the insurance companies would do that between themselves.

I phoned one insurance...
                    23-08-2017, 16:52 PM
                  • Landlord Cover - Cant Trace Who I'm Covered With
                    Claymore
                    Hi

I'm definitely insured, generally via CIA on all of my properties. I know one of the properties is up for renewal but I don't have any email reminders. My post is being redirected because of a move, but no postal renewal. Other than going through my bank accounts, is there any other...
                    23-08-2017, 10:58 AM
                  • Any recommendations for boiler cover
                    aciduzzo
                    I had a bad experience this past year with 24/7 home rescue, where they ripped me off when my boiler broke down. This was because my boiler is quite old and they deemed it beyond economical repair. I was looking into Homeserve policies as i have had good experience with their plumbing cover, but it...
                    02-08-2017, 14:48 PM
                  • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
                    Stef Cooke
                    We had BG fit our new boiler but will never allow any of their servicing engineers to look at it again. The first service the engineer turned up, said it couldn't be serviced as it had been boxed in... I epxlained that the cover slid foward, had no upward movement,. He said he couldn't do that without...
                    22-08-2017, 15:39 PM
                  • Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
                    Guby
                    Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

"We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

Should any clause like this be legally based or...
                    26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
                  • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
                    Galatea
                    My Policy wording says:

'Following a claim you must allow us or anyone authorised by us
                    a access to premises
                    b to take possession of,
                    or request delivery to us of any property insured'
                    Policy is based on the contract you have signed....
                    22-08-2017, 12:13 PM
                  • Reply to Any recommendations for boiler cover
                    Galatea
                    British Gas are good and reliable but very pricey. When my old 30 year old boiler broke down 10 years ago they could not find parts so I had to replace with a modern. The new boiler is much more economical in fuel but will last 10 to 15 years they tell me.
                    22-08-2017, 09:09 AM
                  Working...
                  X