insurance claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insurance claim

Anybody know how much an insurance claim can affect my building insurance?

basically the flat above me has burst its pipes and soaked my ceiling tiles which all need replacing as well as new lights fitted as there all soaked

its the flat above fault so my insurance has told me get a quote and get it fixed etc and then send my insurers the quote but what i want to know is what happens if the flat above don’t have insurance etc will it affect my insurance?
    And if so how much ? my current builidng insurance is currently £500 a year but the claim is going be about 5k

Unless you can prove negligence, then your insurance will have to pay the costs. Negligence can only usually be proved where the tenants in the flat above have known about the burst pipe and not acted. Unfortuntately, if it is just a burst pipe, and an accident, then they are not responsible for the damage and you will have to take the hit on your insurance (and resulting premium)

Comment

Originally posted by Jemmi Anderson
      And if so how much ? my current builidng insurance is currently £500 a year but the claim is going be about 5k
      I'm afraid I can't advise - I don't work in underwriting - you could always try asking the insurer, but usually they'll say they don't know.

Comment

In this case you need to get a Chartered Loss Assessor, (Yellow Pages is full of them) When I have had a claim involving other peoples insurance I have always use one and they are worth their weight in gold. They will argue against the Flat Owners Insurance Companies own Loss Adjuster far more successfully than you will be able to and you will have a better repair.
        On one occasion the inside of relatives house was affected by smoke from a fire in the adjoining house and the Loss Assessor I recommended successfully had them put up in a good hotel for a week whilst the professional cleaners went in together with decorators. Whereas their own Insurance Company did not want to know.
        And with luck, your Loss Assessor, should deal directly with the Flat owners Insurance Company, so in fact, you havent made a claim, so it should not effect your premium, but quite rightly affect the adjoining flat owners insurance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
          Guby
          Some Underwriters have this clause in the Policy Wording:

"We may enter any building where loss or damage has happened, take possession of the insured damaged property and deal with any salvage in a reasonable way"

Should any clause like this be legally based or...
          26-07-2017, 08:37 AM
        • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
          leaseholder64
          That looks like a very standards clause. For portable property, it stops you gaining extra money by selling it on Ebay. I think it is mainly for things that can or will be removed, but they would also want complete control of the site during any major rebuilding work.
          26-07-2017, 10:03 AM
        • Reply to Insurer rights take Possession damaged Property
          tatemono
          I can't answer specifically but it seems to me that any clause in an underwriter's policy which you sign up to when you take out insurance would be "legally based" under contract law.

What kind of risks are you envisaging?
          26-07-2017, 09:12 AM
        • Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
          nfp40
          Hi All

I have had a buy to let for 11 years and recently while my wife and I were clearing the front guttering, she accidentally fell off a ladder into the front wall and caused it to collapse (she was not hurt, just bruised). I made a claim to my insurance company.

I hold...
          19-07-2017, 16:37 PM
        • Reply to Insurance claim (accidental damage) declined
          jjlandlord
          I agree with the others that for a wall in general, and a 'thick' wall like yours in particular to move that way just because someone essentially pushed on one side it must be inadequately designed and built.

At least your wife is lucky because if the wall had not moved she would have hurt...
          21-07-2017, 16:08 PM
          MrShed
          A bit like a collapsing bumper on a car - a safety feature almost

(jk)...
          20-07-2017, 13:31 PM
        • Flood risk insurance
          Sunshine2014
          Any ideas of landlord insurance with flood risk Please ? Struggling and loosing the will...
          19-07-2017, 23:17 PM
        • Reply to Flood risk insurance
          jpkeates
          Insurance broker, not an online application - ads on this site somewhere.
          20-07-2017, 13:10 PM
          jpkeates
          I'd have thought that if the wall hadn't fallen over, the wife could have been badly hurt.
          20-07-2017, 13:09 PM
        • Reply to Flood risk insurance
          JK0
          Direct Line?
          20-07-2017, 11:57 AM
        Working...
        X