Should I take up rent insurance+legal cover?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I take up rent insurance+legal cover?

Hello,

If the property is fully managed via agent using AST,is it worth taking up agents offer on rent insurance cover? But they are usually are the policy holders?

From my experience they try to avoid using the policy if problems arise even though landlord is paying montly premiums,why is this?

Or should I just stick to the appropriate court forms/ or notices if a poblem arises?

Or should I take up my own policy for rent insurance and legal cover?

Regards
    Alien1x

I hope that you have read many posts on this subject, on this forum and elsewhere.

Here are a few questions and possible answers. You should of course come to a reasoned decision by yourself:

Question: What do I want to be insured against?
    Possible answer: I want the rent paid if tenants default.

Question: What are the monthly premiums?
    Possible answer: I can afford £x every month as long as rent is being paid and I can afford £y every month if tenants not paying.

Question: Why do I want insurance for this?
    Possible answer: I don’t have a lot of capital to cover the outgoings until I can evict through the courts.

Question: How will any claim be treated?
    Possible answer: Claim not permissible until more than two months have elapsed and then the insurer will only start paying out from the third month thereafter as long as they cannot find any loopholes.

Question: Is there any point in buying insurance if the tenancy is for six months?
    Possible answer: I can regain possession through the courts anyway as is my right.

Has it occurred to you that probably half of the responses advocating insurance of this kind are replied to by people selling insurance? Which is fine, you can use the contact details they supply.

When you consider how many landlords regularly post to these forums, why aren’t they leaping forward in defence of insurers they do business with? Have you also noticed that landlords are not strongly saying “yes, get yourself rent guarantee insurance” - they are more likely to strongly say “reference your tenant thoroughly before signing a tenancy”.

All of the scenarios that you think you want cover for can be remedied through the courts: unpaid rent, damage.

Additionally some buildings and contents cover already include public liability.

Think about it and share your reasoning with us please.

Comment

Hi,

I have not known anyone having insurance on this forum, its sounds as- 'All of the scenarios can be remedied through the courts'.

My concern is if a tenant gets a lawyer/solicitor or legal aid if I make a claim for example - unpaid rent,damages over the deposit amount eviction process.

This could be costly if tenant wins and most of time they do win as courts are in there favour?

But then again insurance companies may not like paying out?

Comment

[QUOTE=ALIEN1X]Hello,

If the property is fully managed via agent using AST,is it worth taking up agents offer on rent insurance cover? But they are usually are the policy holders?

From my experience they try to avoid using the policy if problems arise even though landlord is paying montly premiums,why is this?

Seems you need another letting agent if he is offering you insurance cover and avoiding to pay for legitimate claims.

Also you need to carry out a proper credit check on every prospective tenant .

Comment

"Also you need to carry out a proper credit check on every prospective tenant"

probably why the agent is not pursuing claims, as they may be found to have not done their job properly!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlords contents insurance
            james99
            My landlords contents insurance is up for renewal shortly. The property is only part furnished so probably only c£3k of contents (buildings insurance is arranged separately via management company). Anyone got any recommendations for cheapest insurer for such a low value of contents needing insuring....
            21-08-2017, 16:47 PM
          • Reply to Landlords contents insurance
            JK0
            I took contents cover with Direct Line just so I had landlord's liability cover. It's about £100 per property.
            21-08-2017, 22:50 PM
          • Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
            John Youngs
            I am in the process of purchasing a new 125 year lease on a BTL flat. The current lease says that in the event of a rebuild of the block being necessary the freeholder will pay any shortfall between the insured value & the rebuilding costs. The new lease removes this liability so only the insured...
            19-08-2017, 12:05 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
            John Youngs
            Thanks for the reply.

The lease is down to 56 years, the new one will be 125.

The current valuation for rebuilding is £7m & insurance is £10m so is ok now. But I wondered what incentive there is for freeholder to keep this up to date. perhaps what you say about adequate...
            19-08-2017, 14:12 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
            leaseholder64
            Are you renewing because the lease is about to expire, or are you doing so in order to extend one that has at least 21 years to run.

In the latter case, you extend by exactly 90 years, and change the rent to one peppercorn per year (which will not, in practice, be demanded), without other...
            19-08-2017, 13:18 PM
          • Subsidence cover
            Lorimer
            I have trawled the internet etc. and made some phone calls but as soon as I mention the fact that the boundary wall in our front garden has developed cracks, we are refused cover.

We have done some investigating and suspect that the cause of the cracks on the boundary wall is a large tree...
            08-08-2017, 06:49 AM
          • Reply to Subsidence cover
            Lorimer
            Agreed. I found that out when shopping around before renewal with the existing insurer. Good job I did not tell the existing insurer where to go in a fit of pique....
            08-08-2017, 17:55 PM
          • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
            Flashback1966
            I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

The council are useless and gave no help.

My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
            08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
          • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
            JK0
            What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
            08-08-2017, 16:23 PM
          • Reply to Subsidence cover
            Flashback1966
            I don't understand why you did n't make a claim under the current insurance?

I had a similar situation with a front garden wall, was leaning. The insurance company sent a surveyor at no cost to me.

Whilst the house had strong foundation and was n't impacted by subsidence....
            08-08-2017, 15:48 PM
          Working...
          X