Who's best for home (buildings/contents) insurance?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who's best for home (buildings/contents) insurance?


    Can anyone tell me what are the best home insurance providers on the market in terms of customer service?

    I am with more than at the moment and have been messed around no end even just to get the policy papers.

    I've read that zurich and hiscox are supposed to be better.

    I'm readt to pay and extra 5 to 10 pounds if i get better odds on getting better service if i ever needed to claim.

    Also another question: last year our belongings were in storage at one of these storage places and they got flooded. We took out a policy in our name and claimed on it and was settled at 500 pounds. Should I disclose this when i am asked if i've had previous claims? The websites do not let you specify that the claim was not actually in our home.

    Any advice would be appreciated.


  • #2
    For home insurance I would recommend Liverpool Victoria.
    Earn More Residual Income From Your Property - bills2big.net
    Landlords & Letting Agents It's A Must!


    • #3
      There are about six or seven price comparison websites. Try ask.com, search against "Home Insurance", and the sponsored links appear. I found- and currently use- Halifax (as insurer, not as mortgagee); the service is satisfactory so far.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


      • #4
        I may be a bit biased on this but even if I was not in the insurance business I would recommend using a broker. There are many reasons for this and customer service is one of them.

        I'm not saying they will be better or worse than going to an insurer directly for customer service but in terms of a claim (which is obviously where you want customer service to be best) you will usually get a better service from a broker.

        The reason being is that you've got 2 people on the insurer's case. You, the person who wants the claim settled, and the broker, who knows all the right things to say to the insurer to help you get the best result. This normally results in a quicker, more satisfactory result.
        Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 17+ years experience in the industry
        LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
        See my profile for contact details


        • #5
          The BEST ONE IS>>>>>>>

          Hello from the insurance topic expert
          I won a major award for customer service beating all the names mentioned
          Neil NEW direct dial 0208 8509697


          • #6
            Best service for landlord insurance

            Try joining a landlord Insurance Block Policy, this means you join in with other landlords and get the benefit of discounted premiums, and you are not paying for flash insurance offices. I use www.landlorddirectinsurance.co.uk ask for Puja shes great and really experienced, if you have any property questions..a real breath of fresh air and will get you discounted AXA Landlord Insurance cover.


            • #7

              I have my six properties insured with Zurich for BTL, they give discount for multiple properties, even though not based on a group scheme. I had to claim for smoke damage in one of the properties, some local neds thought it would be funny to set the bins on fire in the communal stairwell !! Anyway, they dealt with the claim very efficiently..


              Latest Activity


              • Landlords contents insurance
                My landlords contents insurance is up for renewal shortly. The property is only part furnished so probably only c£3k of contents (buildings insurance is arranged separately via management company). Anyone got any recommendations for cheapest insurer for such a low value of contents needing insuring....
                21-08-2017, 16:47 PM
              • Reply to Landlords contents insurance
                I took contents cover with Direct Line just so I had landlord's liability cover. It's about £100 per property.
                21-08-2017, 22:50 PM
              • Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
                John Youngs
                I am in the process of purchasing a new 125 year lease on a BTL flat. The current lease says that in the event of a rebuild of the block being necessary the freeholder will pay any shortfall between the insured value & the rebuilding costs. The new lease removes this liability so only the insured...
                19-08-2017, 12:05 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
                John Youngs
                Thanks for the reply.

                The lease is down to 56 years, the new one will be 125.

                The current valuation for rebuilding is £7m & insurance is £10m so is ok now. But I wondered what incentive there is for freeholder to keep this up to date. perhaps what you say about adequate...
                19-08-2017, 14:12 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder wants to change condition on lease renewal
                Are you renewing because the lease is about to expire, or are you doing so in order to extend one that has at least 21 years to run.

                In the latter case, you extend by exactly 90 years, and change the rent to one peppercorn per year (which will not, in practice, be demanded), without other...
                19-08-2017, 13:18 PM
              • Subsidence cover
                I have trawled the internet etc. and made some phone calls but as soon as I mention the fact that the boundary wall in our front garden has developed cracks, we are refused cover.

                We have done some investigating and suspect that the cause of the cracks on the boundary wall is a large tree...
                08-08-2017, 06:49 AM
              • Reply to Subsidence cover
                Agreed. I found that out when shopping around before renewal with the existing insurer. Good job I did not tell the existing insurer where to go in a fit of pique....
                08-08-2017, 17:55 PM
              • Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
                I have an irresponsible landlord upstairs. Twice, the ceiling has fallen due to a water leak.

                The council are useless and gave no help.

                My insurance has gone up, as I have had two claims during recent years.

                Is there anything I can do about this? Can the upstairs...
                08-08-2017, 15:53 PM
              • Reply to Insurance shot up due to water leaks from upstairs.
                What did you expect if you claimed on insurance rather than sued the guy?
                08-08-2017, 16:23 PM
              • Reply to Subsidence cover
                I don't understand why you did n't make a claim under the current insurance?

                I had a similar situation with a front garden wall, was leaning. The insurance company sent a surveyor at no cost to me.

                Whilst the house had strong foundation and was n't impacted by subsidence....
                08-08-2017, 15:48 PM