Is £400 excess for escape of water normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is £400 excess for escape of water normal?

Just had a bunch of renewal (block policy). The excess is £400 for escape of water.

Is this reasonable?

Should I be hunting around for be lower excess?

Have there been escapes. I have been in properties where the excess for escape of water was infinite (i.e. no claims allowed at all). That is likely to occur if claims are repeated.

Frankly on a block policy there is hardly ever any merit in making small claims (like £400) and a lot of downside. So why would you want a lower excess. Placing claim of £200 for a bath leak would be a severe folly.

Comment

It is becoming quite common for higher excesses to be applied to water damage claims (in the same way that most policies have separate higher excesses for subsidence claims). A lot of our policies have a £100 standard excess with £250 for water damage. If a customer were to take a £150 voluntary excess on top of this they would end up with a £250 standard excess and a £400 water damage excess. If you are not happy with the £400 you could see if there is a voluntary excess being applied to your renewal and ask for it to be removed. This would obviously result in a higher premium. Ultimately the decision is yours and what you feel comfortable with.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

On a block policy, if the property were all mine, it would nt' be an an issues, as I woudl be pooling the savings. However, for some I am the freeholder and a leasehoder would feel it unfair the excess is £400.

I don't know if having individual policies migth work out better....

Comment

The excess is a complete irrelevancy to the leaseholder. If the FH is liable to pay something (to be reimbursed by all lessees) then it is due to pay that thing (in total) regardless of the excess. If an individual lessee is liable to pay to fix something then they are liable to pay that thing (in total) regardless of any excess.

The whole idea that a lessee who causes a leak has to pay whatever the excess might be (or that their liability is limited to the excess) is bull. The excess is simply a pragmatic thing that balances cost of a policy and cost of making tiny claims. Is has nothing to do with who pays what (except that the premium might be higher or lower).

In general as I said small claims should be actively discouraged as the cost of an increase in premium with repeated small events is far greater than any claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
            I don't know if having individual policies migth work out better....
            There is no such (legitimate) thing for flats

Comment

four hundred quid is now in our experience the default rate for escape of water and fuel oil on block policies. Even in the best blocks (by value) if one flat leaks into the flat below the one above is liable. We manage a flat in the West End of London and there the EOW excess is £2500 with the same applying as to liability. They require all bathrooms where work is being carried out to be fully tanked due to adverse claim history

Comment

I just had a look and on some of my flats it is £750.

Comment

Interesting that some of you manage to get the offender to pay. The guy above one of my flats has flooded it three times now. He doesn't GAF, as the freeholder covers my repair bills every time.
                  To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

My escape of water excess is now £5,000 - imposed after I started a claim now heading towards £250,000.
                    Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

There is no such (legitimate) thing for flats
                      There is for flats in Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post

Really, so who would claim for a roof ? Garden wall ? Communal area ?

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

Really, so who would claim for a roof ? Garden wall ? Communal area ?
                          It depends who owns them which would be set out in the title deeds along with how the communal areas you are owner/part-owner of should be insured. The title deeds may say that I am personally responsible for insuring common areas that I own, or that I need to take out joint insurance with some or all of the other owners

Comment

there are some flats where the lessee covenants to insure and the walls and roof are demised . Typically there would be a separate common parts/managed area cover

Comment

Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post

This is only sort-of true - even for Scotland

The Scottish arrangement really just boils down to the mechanism of arrangement - it still remains impossible for an individual to fully insure in isolation a block of asset up in the sky. The arrangement requires/only works at all because it enables "lessees" to demand evidence of insurance from other lessees which must be produced within fourteen days, and then MAT allow an owner to obtain a Court Order requiring another owner to cover their share, or possibly to pay on behalf of that owner and recover via courts.

This sounds an unworkable version of what exists anyway. What happens during those 14 days, during the time a court order is obtained.....
                              Designed by Scots.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurance quote
                                by armour
                                Hi all,
                                For the past 10 years I've been paying an increasing amount for LL insurance provided through broker Ashley Page (AP). I am happy with the service, they tell me they shop about to find competitive quotes and charge only £25 for this but I am concerned that, this year and last, AP has...
                                16-08-2022, 09:56 AM
                              • Guests and insurance
                                by 2sheds
                                Hi
                                I contacted my long standing tenants to arrange a date to do some decorating. They said I couldn’t come during a certain period as they are going on holiday for a week and whilst they are away one of their parents will be staying at the house to look after their dog. Whilst I’ve no objection...
                                14-08-2022, 14:24 PM
                              • Reply to Guests and insurance
                                by 2sheds
                                Interestingly my insurers said they don’t know the answer to my query and that they will look into it and get back to me....
                                15-08-2022, 21:56 PM
                                by gnvqsos
                                The tenant has invited the guest without your consent ,at their own risk. You are worrying about a highly unlikely hypothetical event-if this is usual get out of the market for your sanity.
                                15-08-2022, 19:37 PM
                              • Issue with proof of Tenant checks
                                by rocky448
                                Hi,

My tenants recently had a fire at my property. I used a lettings agent to find and vet my new tenant, the agents has since gone into bust.I have produced my tenancy agreement and bill from them but the Insurance company are being very awkward insisting i provided more evidence. I have...
                                12-08-2022, 15:03 PM
                              • Reply to Issue with proof of Tenant checks
                                by JK0
                                I don't see how tenant reference checks are relevant. The claim is for fire damage. Not non payment of rent.
                                14-08-2022, 21:26 PM
                              • Homecare plan for gas/water in SE London?
                                by markek
                                Any recs for quality / cost effectiveness please,
                                Thanks
                                04-08-2022, 10:12 AM
                              • Reply to Homecare plan for gas/water in SE London?
                                by ash72
                                If you don't know any plumbers then BG policy is the only one I would get, there's others in the market but they just subcontract the work out which is crap as some don't even know what they are doing. For water I wouldn't bother, if it's a block drain etc, then just get someone round, and usually the...
                                14-08-2022, 21:05 PM
                              • Reply to Issue with proof of Tenant checks
                                by ash72
                                Did you not obtain a copy of the reference checks for your own records? Hope you have all the other paperwork associated with the Tenancy. I'm surprised that they haven't asked the cause of the fire, as that would indicate if it's covered or not.

You've not had much luck, but then again...
                                14-08-2022, 20:59 PM
                                by ash72
                                There's a lot of "What If"..... don't worry about it, as far as you are concerning the T's are still there, just because the T has informed you of something doesn't make it correct, as far as your concerned.
                                14-08-2022, 20:52 PM
                              Working...
                              X