Declared value (reinstatement cost) and contingencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declared value (reinstatement cost) and contingencies

When calculating a reinstatement cost for buildings insurance, is it assumed that it must include a sum for contingencies? And if so what sort of percentage?

The context is that I have been found to be underinsured and proportional remedy applied to the claim. The building reinstatement valuation upon which the proportional remedy has been based says
    Contingency allowance of 5% included. The Insurer is to verify if the policy cover is inclusive or exclusive of contingencies to cover to cover potential risks encountered during construction.

The insurer is uncooperative and uncommunicative (to the extent that I have begun to prepare a negligence / breach of contract claim) so I cannot very much discuss it with them.

My policy requires:
    You must always make sure that the sums insured shown in your schedule are adequate.
    i. Buildings should be insured for the full cost of rebuilding the buildings in the same form, style and condition as new plus an amount for architects’, surveyors’, consulting engineers and legal fees, debris removal costs and other costs to comply with government or local authority requirements.

There is nothing in the definitions and the words "contingency" and "risk" do not appear anywhere in the policy wording. It is not clear to me whether that 5% contingency should be included in the calculation of the proportional remedy or not (the valuer clearly states that it is optional). I cannot find any definition of declared value online which refers to standard practice including a sum for contingencies.

(Inflation during the period of cover is specifically covered).
    Assume I know nothing.

I've just skimmed the RICS professional standards and guidance, "UK Reinstatement cost assessment of buildings" and there is no mention of contingency sums anywhere in it. It says that each report should make allowances for specific peculiarities of any site but does not mention making allowances for unforeseen circumstances and works.
    Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Insurance quote
      by armour
      Hi all,
      For the past 10 years I've been paying an increasing amount for LL insurance provided through broker Ashley Page (AP). I am happy with the service, they tell me they shop about to find competitive quotes and charge only £25 for this but I am concerned that, this year and last, AP has...
      16-08-2022, 09:56 AM
    • Guests and insurance
      by 2sheds
      Hi
      I contacted my long standing tenants to arrange a date to do some decorating. They said I couldn’t come during a certain period as they are going on holiday for a week and whilst they are away one of their parents will be staying at the house to look after their dog. Whilst I’ve no objection...
      14-08-2022, 14:24 PM
    • Reply to Guests and insurance
      by 2sheds
      Interestingly my insurers said they don’t know the answer to my query and that they will look into it and get back to me....
      15-08-2022, 21:56 PM
      by gnvqsos
      The tenant has invited the guest without your consent ,at their own risk. You are worrying about a highly unlikely hypothetical event-if this is usual get out of the market for your sanity.
      15-08-2022, 19:37 PM
    • Issue with proof of Tenant checks
      by rocky448
      Hi,

My tenants recently had a fire at my property. I used a lettings agent to find and vet my new tenant, the agents has since gone into bust.I have produced my tenancy agreement and bill from them but the Insurance company are being very awkward insisting i provided more evidence. I have...
      12-08-2022, 15:03 PM
    • Reply to Issue with proof of Tenant checks
      by JK0
      I don't see how tenant reference checks are relevant. The claim is for fire damage. Not non payment of rent.
      14-08-2022, 21:26 PM
    • Homecare plan for gas/water in SE London?
      by markek
      Any recs for quality / cost effectiveness please,
      Thanks
      04-08-2022, 10:12 AM
    • Reply to Homecare plan for gas/water in SE London?
      by ash72
      If you don't know any plumbers then BG policy is the only one I would get, there's others in the market but they just subcontract the work out which is crap as some don't even know what they are doing. For water I wouldn't bother, if it's a block drain etc, then just get someone round, and usually the...
      14-08-2022, 21:05 PM
    • Reply to Issue with proof of Tenant checks
      by ash72
      Did you not obtain a copy of the reference checks for your own records? Hope you have all the other paperwork associated with the Tenancy. I'm surprised that they haven't asked the cause of the fire, as that would indicate if it's covered or not.

You've not had much luck, but then again...
      14-08-2022, 20:59 PM
      by ash72
      There's a lot of "What If"..... don't worry about it, as far as you are concerning the T's are still there, just because the T has informed you of something doesn't make it correct, as far as your concerned.
      14-08-2022, 20:52 PM
    Working...
    X