Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.

    Can a greedy freeholder add 12% to each of 8 flats in 2 blocks he owns for renewing or a phone call and admin ? It’s £40 each on top? How is this reasonable?

    Is this freeholder or an agent for the freeholder.

    But no he can't. Unless lease says so. But an agent sort-of can (and then hand part of it back to FH as the usual backhander). Part of the reason the whole legal framework is so messed up.


      12% is the current rate of Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). Some documents from insurers/brokers/agents/freeholders may not be great at displaying clear information and could possibly be misread as a charge being made on top of the insurance cost when in fact it is actually tax. Might be worth double checking.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Flat above water escape to flat below
        by AndrewDod
        Yup that is the way it works. Who is going to court (and vs who) and on what basis?

        The basic principle of water leaks in flats from the point of view of insurers (paraphrased) is that anyone can cause any damage they like and whatever happens nobody is responsible unless someone can *prove*...
        26-05-2022, 10:42 AM
      • Flat above water escape to flat below
        by Starlane
        Scenario...the flat above has a kitchen above the flat below which is a bedroom..The flat below has damage to its ceiling and walls , water escape.The water excess is £500 so the bottom flat tried to contact the flat above to tell them about the leak and managing agent who have refused to let the tenant...
        26-05-2022, 00:50 AM
      • Reply to Flat above water escape to flat below
        by jpkeates
        Who's who in this scenario?

        The "bottom flat" is part of a building and wouldn't be able to make a claim.
        So, who is the occupant of the bottom flat and what is their relationship to the freeholder and their management company?
        What does the lease say about insurance...
        26-05-2022, 08:45 AM
      • Recommendation - Company Let
        by PaulW23
        I have a property that my Agents have recommended a company let with a local Charity that supports young people coming out of Care Homes. The charity let the property under a company let agreement and pay all the rent.
        The problem I am finding is getting insurance for such a situation. It is not...
        18-05-2022, 09:51 AM
      • Reply to Recommendation - Company Let
        by royw
        I agree with the above, there's a very good reason insurers don't want to take on this risk. Perhaps you ask the agent why they think you should. Personally I'd be looking at using an agent who wants to get the best for me.
        25-05-2022, 12:00 PM
      • Reply to Recommendation - Company Let
        by jpkeates
        Glib answer - that's because insurance companies specialise in measuring risk, and there's a reason that they don't want this kind of business.

        More sensible answer - You need to talk to an insurance broker, website and online applications won't support anything not 100% vanilla.
        24-05-2022, 14:26 PM
      • Who's accidental insurance cover should be claimed on?
        by madasafish
        The freeholder of a semi-attached house converted to two flats is telling me that if my ground floor tenanted flat is flooded by his upstairs tenanted flat (eg: upstairs bathroom overflows) then legally I have to claim on my accidental insurance.

        This sounds absurd. Is he right?...
        24-05-2022, 09:49 AM
      • Reply to Who's accidental insurance cover should be claimed on?
        by Section20z
        Ask the buildings insurer, it may well be covered...
        24-05-2022, 14:02 PM
      • Reply to Who's accidental insurance cover should be claimed on?
        by theartfullodger
        There's no legal requirement to claim on any or anyone's insurance. You could simply sue upstairs - after 1st asking them to pay up.
        24-05-2022, 12:34 PM
      • Reply to Who's accidental insurance cover should be claimed on?
        by jpkeates
        It's not that you "legally" "have to" claim.
        You could just pay yourself - there's no obligation to be insured (unless it's part of the lease covenants).

        In one sense, they're right, in that you can't simply assume that your costs will be met simply because the...
        24-05-2022, 10:18 AM