Problem due to no inspection due to Covid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem due to no inspection due to Covid

In May 2019 the flat above mine had a water leak and caused damage to my flat. There was an insurance claim and the damage was repaired. However it now turns out that the repair to the flat above was inadequate because there has been a further escape of water (very slow and imperceptible to the naked eye). This has caused the tiles to lift away from the shower area in my flat and for there to be mildew/mould. Due to Covid there were no property inspections and this has only come to light recently.

What if anything can be done about this?

Was the property empty or did a tenant not report/see the tiles lifting away?

Comment

There is a tenant in there and this is what he said to the agent after they had carried out an inspection and sent him a stiffly worded email about neglect "...........If the landlord is under the impression that he paid for retiling as well as all damages, I'm afraid to say this did not happen. All that took place was some re-painting........."

Well we did not pay, it was an insurance claim and the insurance company asked for proof that the situation was remedied and there would be no ongoing issues. I have seen a letter from a qualified plumber saying that this is the case. The issue is with the time and the Covid because I even rang the plumber and he said he could not be held responsible for a job carried out almost 3 years ago. He invited me to tell the insurance company to contact him.

Ordinarily I would think that calling him back within a week or two or even a couple of months would be OK but not after 3 years! The tenant says that only painting was done but we paid for a new carpet because that was contents and not covered.

I think all things considered that I will just pay to have it rectified because I can't be bothered with all of the aggro since it is not a simple issue.

Comment

I suggest you specify cement board rather than plasterboard in the wet areas. 'The builders union' tell them to use plasterboard, as the tiles will all fall off and need redoing if plasterboard gets wet. Cement board does not fall apart when wet, and will retain the tiles.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-AQUAP...-1-2m/p/207027

BTW, you can get an idea how it should be done from my thread here. This was done in 2014, and is still solid as a rock, in spite of incontinent tenants upstairs.

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...-degrees/page2
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

If I understand things rightly. You should put in a new insurance claim for the damage. There is an escape of water due to poor workmanship. Who did the works for upstairs and downstairs? Was it separate builders?

Have the upstairs flat being notified?
          Or is this the original damage, which has never been fully repaired?

Comment

Hello just an update - it was a new claim but less than the excess so the person upstairs gave me half the cost. I am happy given the circumstances this seemed the best solution.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X