Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?

Is it possible to obtain property owner's liability on its own for a house?

I realise that it is normally purchased as part of a buildings insurance policy. However, there are some circumstances where buildings insurance may not seem necessary (e.g. for a house which will soon be demolished, or for a house which needs such substantial refurbishment that even a fire or similar wouldn't radically increase the cost of the works) and where it may not easily be possible to comply with the full terms of most standard buildings insurance policies. For such circumstances, property owner's liability insurance on its own would be very useful.

You probably want to look at something like renovation insurance, Home Protect offer it with public liability insurance: https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/renovation-insurance

Comment

Originally posted by ifallelsefails View Post
      You probably want to look at something like renovation insurance, Home Protect offer it with public liability insurance: https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/renovation-insurance
      Thank you. I will give them a go.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Recommendation - Company Let
        by PaulW23
        I have a property that my Agents have recommended a company let with a local Charity that supports young people coming out of Care Homes. The charity let the property under a company let agreement and pay all the rent.
        The problem I am finding is getting insurance for such a situation. It is not...
        18-05-2022, 09:51 AM
      • Reply to Recommendation - Company Let
        by theartfullodger
        Google rent to rent scam.

Avoid
        18-05-2022, 15:26 PM
      • Reply to Recommendation - Company Let
        by nukecad
        What your agents are proposing is a let-to-let arrangement.

The general advice is to avoid such schemes like the plague.

You are letting to a company (the charity). They then let you property to someone else.

The people they put into the property are not your tenants,...
        18-05-2022, 12:35 PM
      • Buildings insce for tenant
        by Linden
        I understand it is a landlords responsibility to insure the house I live in. However, as a tenant, could I choose to take our buildings insurance. If I could, I would then advise my landlord that I have done this, and he has no need to.
        Would the insurance in my name my valid?...
        17-05-2022, 07:55 AM
      • Reply to Buildings insce for tenant
        by ashburnham
        The insurance in your name would be invalid. Only the owner can insure the property. What is the reason for you wanting to do this?
        17-05-2022, 14:48 PM
      • Declared value (reinstatement cost) and contingencies
        by Hooper
        When calculating a reinstatement cost for buildings insurance, is it assumed that it must include a sum for contingencies? And if so what sort of percentage?

The context is that I have been found to be underinsured and proportional remedy applied to the claim. The building reinstatement...
        15-05-2022, 12:09 PM
      • Reply to Declared value (reinstatement cost) and contingencies
        by Hooper
        I've just skimmed the RICS professional standards and guidance, "UK Reinstatement cost assessment of buildings" and there is no mention of contingency sums anywhere in it. It says that each report should make allowances for specific peculiarities of any site but does not mention making allowances...
        16-05-2022, 09:23 AM
      • Reply to Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.
        by ashburnham
        12% is the current rate of Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). Some documents from insurers/brokers/agents/freeholders may not be great at displaying clear information and could possibly be misread as a charge being made on top of the insurance cost when in fact it is actually tax. Might be worth double c...
        12-05-2022, 10:31 AM
      • Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.
        by Ferndale
        Can a greedy freeholder add 12% to each of 8 flats in 2 blocks he owns for renewing or a phone call and admin ? It’s £40 each on top? How is this reasonable?...
        11-05-2022, 19:45 PM
      • Reply to Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.
        by AndrewDod
        Is this freeholder or an agent for the freeholder.

But no he can't. Unless lease says so. But an agent sort-of can (and then hand part of it back to FH as the usual backhander). Part of the reason the whole legal framework is so messed up....
        12-05-2022, 09:51 AM
      Working...
      X