Protfolio Landlord Insurance

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Protfolio Landlord Insurance

    Hi all,

    Can anyone recommend an insurance provide or broker for freehold BTLs?

    also, from your experience, what should be covered and what to look out for?

    how do you deal with emergencies?


    The list of Insurers able to provide quality insurance for BTL is too numerous to detail but if you look at all of the very well known companies and go online you can do independent research alternative there are the price comparison sights which scrape the quotes but once your data is detailed you might get blitzed in followups.

    I use Direct Line and Aviva.

    How does one deal with emergencies , well if the properties are managed by an agent it is their responsibility to sort the matter out but checking with you if the costs are above a certain threshold. I personally use British Gas Home Care which allows for the tenant to have direct access for Gas, electricity and plumbing issues, any calls which are adjudged to be frivolous then I impose a penalty of £50, it is amazing how tenants think twice before making a call but where help is needed there is the guarantee of being dealt with expeditiously.

    I am sure many Forum Contributors will have their own views.


      I use simple landlord's insurance, which seems to now be part of Swinton.
      They have a reasonable portfolio product - although they've just been taken over, so my experience may no longer be relevant.

      Originally posted by loanarranger View Post
      any calls which are adjudged to be frivolous then I impose a penalty of £50, it is amazing how tenants think twice before making a call but where help is needed there is the guarantee of being dealt with expeditiously.
      While I'm sure it's just a matter of loose wording, but penalty charges in consumer contracts aren't lawful, generally, and a "frivolity" charge of £50 (unless it reflects an actual cost incurred by the landlord) would be specifically illegal under the Tenant Fees Act.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).



        You have insurance and then BT home care on top? Sorry if this is a daft question but what are the differences?


          Any commercial broker will be able to give you LL insurance. This will insured the fabric of the building & fixtures and fittings (think sinks, kitchen cupboards etc) in case of a major event.. It will usually have some contents cover for your furnishing - carpets, curtains, light shades and furniture if your provide it. You can also choose whether or not to include accidental damage to either part. I would also ask for legal cover.

          The BT homecare or similar will insure your boiler and other appliances and possibly drains (depends on the cover) against breakdowns.


            Hi jpucng62
            I think you meant BG ( British Gas ) I have this for all my properties and has been a great facility plus peace of mind for tenants , but bad news for the managing agents as there is no kickback from plumbers Etc


              I use John Lawton, Cascade Insurance


                One should check that cover includes terrorism! Would provide cover in the event your tenants used the rented property (or one nearby) to make a bomb that exploded. Also access and trace. And non invalidation cover. And three years loss of rent. Very few policies include CBRN but the very best do. Half the brokers out there wouldnt even know what are the risks known as CBRN . So far as I am aware only Zurich include this as standard.


                  I always recommend that you should have a check list of the covers that are important to you and make sure that these covers are included within the quotations that you receive. That way you can compare the premiums easier and make sure it meets your needs, for example, as the property is being rented out, does it include Malicious Damage cover by the tenants (A lot of policies include malicious damage and then exclude cover in relation to tenants) theft by the tenants, unfortunately I have seen properties that have had the central heating / boiler stolen and the resultant water damage that this can create. Hamilton Fraser Total Landlords Insurance have two policies, a Premier policy that covers the points above and an Essential policy covers your standard perils.


                  Latest Activity


                  • Reply to Recommendation - Company Let
                    by theartfullodger
                    Google rent to rent scam.

                    18-05-2022, 15:26 PM
                  • Recommendation - Company Let
                    by PaulW23
                    I have a property that my Agents have recommended a company let with a local Charity that supports young people coming out of Care Homes. The charity let the property under a company let agreement and pay all the rent.
                    The problem I am finding is getting insurance for such a situation. It is not...
                    18-05-2022, 09:51 AM
                  • Reply to Recommendation - Company Let
                    by nukecad
                    What your agents are proposing is a let-to-let arrangement.

                    The general advice is to avoid such schemes like the plague.

                    You are letting to a company (the charity). They then let you property to someone else.

                    The people they put into the property are not your tenants,...
                    18-05-2022, 12:35 PM
                  • Buildings insce for tenant
                    by Linden
                    I understand it is a landlords responsibility to insure the house I live in. However, as a tenant, could I choose to take our buildings insurance. If I could, I would then advise my landlord that I have done this, and he has no need to.
                    Would the insurance in my name my valid?...
                    17-05-2022, 07:55 AM
                  • Reply to Buildings insce for tenant
                    by ashburnham
                    The insurance in your name would be invalid. Only the owner can insure the property. What is the reason for you wanting to do this?
                    17-05-2022, 14:48 PM
                  • Declared value (reinstatement cost) and contingencies
                    by Hooper
                    When calculating a reinstatement cost for buildings insurance, is it assumed that it must include a sum for contingencies? And if so what sort of percentage?

                    The context is that I have been found to be underinsured and proportional remedy applied to the claim. The building reinstatement...
                    15-05-2022, 12:09 PM
                  • Reply to Declared value (reinstatement cost) and contingencies
                    by Hooper
                    I've just skimmed the RICS professional standards and guidance, "UK Reinstatement cost assessment of buildings" and there is no mention of contingency sums anywhere in it. It says that each report should make allowances for specific peculiarities of any site but does not mention making allowances...
                    16-05-2022, 09:23 AM
                  • Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.
                    by Ferndale
                    Can a greedy freeholder add 12% to each of 8 flats in 2 blocks he owns for renewing or a phone call and admin ? It’s £40 each on top? How is this reasonable?...
                    11-05-2022, 19:45 PM
                  • Reply to Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.
                    by ashburnham
                    12% is the current rate of Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). Some documents from insurers/brokers/agents/freeholders may not be great at displaying clear information and could possibly be misread as a charge being made on top of the insurance cost when in fact it is actually tax. Might be worth double c...
                    12-05-2022, 10:31 AM
                  • Reply to Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.
                    by AndrewDod
                    Is this freeholder or an agent for the freeholder.

                    But no he can't. Unless lease says so. But an agent sort-of can (and then hand part of it back to FH as the usual backhander). Part of the reason the whole legal framework is so messed up....
                    12-05-2022, 09:51 AM