Unoccupied Property Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unoccupied Property Insurance

Every landlord has void periods, and I have one now. I would like to insure for the obvious risks, such as unauthorised occupants (squatters), malicious damage, etc. But whenever I've looked into this, insurers say they will only offer 'FLEEA' insurance (fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft) while a property is unoccupied. These are NOT the risks I'm worried about! I assume it's a NO, but is anybody aware of insurance that will cover my (temporarily) unoccupied property for the actual risks mentioned above? I have not yet in fact had any squatters or malicious damage, so I feel insurers are missing a trick by not being in this huge market. Thanks, Marcus

malicious damage is usually excluded if a risk address is unoccupied for more than thirty cosecutive days, likewise wet perils. Move someone in, even if only briefly. I know of no insurer offering any different.

Comment

Each insurer is different but most will continue full cover for 30days once the property first becomes unoccupied after which cover will become restricted. We actually have a couple of insurers which allow 60 or 90 days so it is worth checking your policy to see what the actual rules are. If you are exceeding the period of time and require cover beyond the restricted cover they provide, your only option is to cancel the insurance and take out an unoccupied insurance policy with the higher level of cover you need.
      Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
      LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
      See my profile for contact details

Comment

Lloyds allowed me 3 months on my late brothers house cover before I had to get special insurance which wasn't cheap

Comment

My insurance is with Aviva and I am covered for the property remaining unoccupied for 60 consecutive days. I have had unoccupied insurance before and I was covered for more than just FLEEA but one of the conditions was that someone was able to physically go and check on the property for me every week.

Comment

I once had a Commercial Property and had to close my business for a month because a car drove into the front of the building and demolished the doorway. I wnt on holiday for 2 weeks and when I returned I went to the property and let myself in through another door and everything was OK. That night the place was burgled and the thieves came in through the roof and when walking across the showroom ceiling fell through and damaged items in the showroom
            I made a claim on both my Business Insurance and my Landlords Building Insurance. (Bu coincidence the same Insurqance Company) They sent a Loss Adjuster to assess the damage. He said I believe you have been away for a month and as the building has been unoccupied for over 2 weeks you are not insured.
            Fortunately the lady who ran the business next door saw me at 8am coming out of my business and remembered it, The Loss Adjuster went to see her and she confirmed seeing me. If it had not been for her seeing me the cost of repairs would have been rejected.
            So if you have a vacant property, go at least once a week. Take Photos ?

Comment

Certainly the Zurich wording says a " Responsible Person " must inspect unoccupied premises at least once a week; there are also other risk requirements, esp during the winter

Comment

I've looked at unoccupied insurance a lot and I found that the most comprehensive insurer and least burdensome out there was from Alan Blunden Insurance Brokers (they run the "ABACUS" system which allows other insurance brokers to insure through them too).
                You can go to Cover4LetProperty which is a trading name of Alan Blunden and deals just with Landlords - you can get good prices from them on the phone.
                If you get a policy from them underwritten by Amtrust Europe limited, then you will get protection from malicious damage, theft and water damage. You can cancel the policy and get a pro-rated refund, or turn it into a normal policy, so that makes it useful for short term cover. However, all of this depends on the level of cover that you purchase.
                Unfortunately, I haven't found any that cover for squatters, I don't think that would ever be covered because of the legal issues involved.
                Hope that helps.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Recommendation - Company Let
                  by PaulW23
                  I have a property that my Agents have recommended a company let with a local Charity that supports young people coming out of Care Homes. The charity let the property under a company let agreement and pay all the rent.
                  The problem I am finding is getting insurance for such a situation. It is not...
                  18-05-2022, 09:51 AM
                • Reply to Recommendation - Company Let
                  by theartfullodger
                  Google rent to rent scam.

Avoid
                  18-05-2022, 15:26 PM
                • Reply to Recommendation - Company Let
                  by nukecad
                  What your agents are proposing is a let-to-let arrangement.

The general advice is to avoid such schemes like the plague.

You are letting to a company (the charity). They then let you property to someone else.

The people they put into the property are not your tenants,...
                  18-05-2022, 12:35 PM
                • Buildings insce for tenant
                  by Linden
                  I understand it is a landlords responsibility to insure the house I live in. However, as a tenant, could I choose to take our buildings insurance. If I could, I would then advise my landlord that I have done this, and he has no need to.
                  Would the insurance in my name my valid?...
                  17-05-2022, 07:55 AM
                • Reply to Buildings insce for tenant
                  by ashburnham
                  The insurance in your name would be invalid. Only the owner can insure the property. What is the reason for you wanting to do this?
                  17-05-2022, 14:48 PM
                • Declared value (reinstatement cost) and contingencies
                  by Hooper
                  When calculating a reinstatement cost for buildings insurance, is it assumed that it must include a sum for contingencies? And if so what sort of percentage?

The context is that I have been found to be underinsured and proportional remedy applied to the claim. The building reinstatement...
                  15-05-2022, 12:09 PM
                • Reply to Declared value (reinstatement cost) and contingencies
                  by Hooper
                  I've just skimmed the RICS professional standards and guidance, "UK Reinstatement cost assessment of buildings" and there is no mention of contingency sums anywhere in it. It says that each report should make allowances for specific peculiarities of any site but does not mention making allowances...
                  16-05-2022, 09:23 AM
                • Reply to Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.
                  by ashburnham
                  12% is the current rate of Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). Some documents from insurers/brokers/agents/freeholders may not be great at displaying clear information and could possibly be misread as a charge being made on top of the insurance cost when in fact it is actually tax. Might be worth double c...
                  12-05-2022, 10:31 AM
                • Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.
                  by Ferndale
                  Can a greedy freeholder add 12% to each of 8 flats in 2 blocks he owns for renewing or a phone call and admin ? It’s £40 each on top? How is this reasonable?...
                  11-05-2022, 19:45 PM
                • Reply to Adding 12% charge to insurance premium.
                  by AndrewDod
                  Is this freeholder or an agent for the freeholder.

But no he can't. Unless lease says so. But an agent sort-of can (and then hand part of it back to FH as the usual backhander). Part of the reason the whole legal framework is so messed up....
                  12-05-2022, 09:51 AM
                Working...
                X