Water escape, insurance and tenant

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Water escape, insurance and tenant

    I have a rental property which is insured and a good living tenant there. 8 weeks ago there was an accidental water escape resulting in some damage of flooring ect in the kitchen. I have decided to go through third party who was authorised to deal with the insurer and also their subcontractor dealing with the work. I was aware it would take weeks but now it's been months and all the negotiations still take place as apparently the insurer has missed some elements in the repair evaluation. Taken it was a minor water escape seeing the approximate cost of circa 10k I was quite in shock although I have no more imformation than above it does not surprise me that the insurer is careful about all the approval.
    Well that leads me to two questions - how much longer it could take to have the work started as I was told they do not schedule anything before the insurer approval?
    Second question is about refunding my tenant as the result of the additional electricity cost when dehumidifier was used in the first week and probably again will be used plus all the discomfort coming with that accidental water escape. What sort of recompensate shall I suggest? I have provided with some carpets to put on the concrete but there are other difficulties she needs to face in the kitchen and it has been so long to wait for the work to be done. She is very understanding but she also has right to use the good standard kitchen she had before and she might be very disappointed that it might be not done by Xmas. It will be 11 weeks since the the surveyors have entered the property. Please advise. Thank you.

Latest Activity


  • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
    by ifallelsefails
    I've looked at unoccupied insurance a lot and I found that the most comprehensive insurer and least burdensome out there was from Alan Blunden Insurance Brokers (they run the "ABACUS" system which allows other insurance brokers to insure through them too).
    You can go to Cover4LetProperty...
    22-01-2022, 22:27 PM
  • Unoccupied Property Insurance
    by Marcus Read
    Every landlord has void periods, and I have one now. I would like to insure for the obvious risks, such as unauthorised occupants (squatters), malicious damage, etc. But whenever I've looked into this, insurers say they will only offer 'FLEEA' insurance (fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft)...
    24-12-2021, 10:56 AM
  • Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
    by JamesHopeful
    Is it possible to obtain property owner's liability on its own for a house?

    I realise that it is normally purchased as part of a buildings insurance policy. However, there are some circumstances where buildings insurance may not seem necessary (e.g. for a house which will soon be demolished,...
    20-01-2022, 10:51 AM
  • Reply to Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
    by ifallelsefails
    You probably want to look at something like renovation insurance, Home Protect offer it with public liability insurance: https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/renovation-insurance
    22-01-2022, 22:08 PM
  • Ensuring Insurance
    by AVJ113
    Looks like I'm going to get my first rental property. I will be getting a BTL mortgage for a small, very cheap house, possibly with a sitting tenant. What minimum insurance do I need legally; what do you advise on top of that, and who is the best provider of such insurance?
    22-01-2022, 18:05 PM
  • Reply to Ensuring Insurance
    by theartfullodger
    None legally, but very very likely the mortgage will require it. Check exact requirements.

    And when does the tenant say they 1st moved in (don;t trust vendor, agent or solicitor..)??
    22-01-2022, 18:52 PM
  • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
    by L4NDLORD
    Certainly the Zurich wording says a " Responsible Person " must inspect unoccupied premises at least once a week; there are also other risk requirements, esp during the winter
    15-01-2022, 18:40 PM
  • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
    by Piffy
    I once had a Commercial Property and had to close my business for a month because a car drove into the front of the building and demolished the doorway. I wnt on holiday for 2 weeks and when I returned I went to the property and let myself in through another door and everything was OK. That night the...
    11-01-2022, 13:45 PM
  • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
    by Steve Barnes
    I always recommend that you should have a check list of the covers that are important to you and make sure that these covers are included within the quotations that you receive. That way you can compare the premiums easier and make sure it meets your needs, for example, as the property is being rented...
    10-01-2022, 13:19 PM
  • Protfolio Landlord Insurance
    by MorProp
    Hi all,

    Can anyone recommend an insurance provide or broker for freehold BTLs?

    also, from your experience, what should be covered and what to look out for?

    how do you deal with emergencies?

    05-01-2022, 09:36 AM