Insuring Commercial shop - requirement of electric inspection

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Insuring Commercial shop - requirement of electric inspection

    I am arranging insurance for a commercial shop, which has been rented on a lease for sometime. The insurance policy has a clause which state that as landlord to carry out electrical inspection and remedy any defects.

    Is this a correct requirement. Should the commercial tenant provide an electrical certificate or should I carry one out and charge them for it?

    I don't know if they have done one?

Latest Activity


  • Can I get property owner's liability insurance on its own for a house?
    by JamesHopeful
    Is it possible to obtain property owner's liability on its own for a house?

    I realise that it is normally purchased as part of a buildings insurance policy. However, there are some circumstances where buildings insurance may not seem necessary (e.g. for a house which will soon be demolished,...
    20-01-2022, 10:51 AM
  • Unoccupied Property Insurance
    by Marcus Read
    Every landlord has void periods, and I have one now. I would like to insure for the obvious risks, such as unauthorised occupants (squatters), malicious damage, etc. But whenever I've looked into this, insurers say they will only offer 'FLEEA' insurance (fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, aircraft)...
    24-12-2021, 10:56 AM
  • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
    by L4NDLORD
    Certainly the Zurich wording says a " Responsible Person " must inspect unoccupied premises at least once a week; there are also other risk requirements, esp during the winter
    15-01-2022, 18:40 PM
  • Reply to Unoccupied Property Insurance
    by Piffy
    I once had a Commercial Property and had to close my business for a month because a car drove into the front of the building and demolished the doorway. I wnt on holiday for 2 weeks and when I returned I went to the property and let myself in through another door and everything was OK. That night the...
    11-01-2022, 13:45 PM
  • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
    by Steve Barnes
    I always recommend that you should have a check list of the covers that are important to you and make sure that these covers are included within the quotations that you receive. That way you can compare the premiums easier and make sure it meets your needs, for example, as the property is being rented...
    10-01-2022, 13:19 PM
  • Protfolio Landlord Insurance
    by MorProp
    Hi all,

    Can anyone recommend an insurance provide or broker for freehold BTLs?

    also, from your experience, what should be covered and what to look out for?

    how do you deal with emergencies?

    05-01-2022, 09:36 AM
  • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
    by L4NDLORD
    One should check that cover includes terrorism! Would provide cover in the event your tenants used the rented property (or one nearby) to make a bomb that exploded. Also access and trace. And non invalidation cover. And three years loss of rent. Very few policies include CBRN but the very best do. Half...
    10-01-2022, 03:08 AM
  • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
    by SouthernDave
    I use John Lawton, Cascade Insurance
    09-01-2022, 09:45 AM
  • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
    by loanarranger
    Hi jpucng62
    I think you meant BG ( British Gas ) I have this for all my properties and has been a great facility plus peace of mind for tenants , but bad news for the managing agents as there is no kickback from plumbers Etc
    09-01-2022, 09:43 AM
  • Reply to Protfolio Landlord Insurance
    by jpucng62
    Any commercial broker will be able to give you LL insurance. This will insured the fabric of the building & fixtures and fittings (think sinks, kitchen cupboards etc) in case of a major event.. It will usually have some contents cover for your furnishing - carpets, curtains, light shades and furniture...
    09-01-2022, 08:18 AM