Loss Assessor? Or other support with my insurance claim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss Assessor? Or other support with my insurance claim?

My insurance company has finally processed my claim after 6 months - having taken about 5 months to even lift floor coverings to inspect the flooded concrete slab. Lo and behold, after first inspecting other causes finally they concluded that the cause of damage was largely what I said it would be in the first instance but they refused to inspect.

They have made an offer to pay for some of the works although they admit the works they are offering to pay for are possibly pointless. Or a cash offer instead but without VAT. There are a number of complicating factors around loss of rent, VAT on a cash settlement and proportionate remedies due to being under insured (likely but possibly not to the extent they claim).

I hate insurance and my head is spinning. Where do I go to for advice on how to proceed / negotiate?
    Assume I know nothing.

Financial Ombudsman will sometimes advise on how to proceed or you could make a complaint following the procedure. You need to mitigate your losses so in your position I would proceed with repairs and argue about it later. A surveyor might be helpful or independent loss adjuster.

Comment

Good point about mitigation. They have been terrifically slow at everything but have had a contractor send me an estimate for private reinstatement works within 24hrs which presumably starts the clock ticking...
      Assume I know nothing.

Comment

I was advised in 1980 when I had my first Insurance claim to use a Chartered Loss Assessor And that advice has saved me money over the years. Your Loss Assessor will argue with the Insurance Loss Adjuster. With quite a few claims even after the 10% the Loss Assessor charged I received more than if I had tried to fight a claim myself.

Comment

Cheers. Yes it looks like I'm going down that route. Although I have been quoted 12.5% + VAT. Is there a loss assessor you would recommend?
          Assume I know nothing.

Comment

If you have no loss assessor the loss adjuster is professionally obligated to be fair to you; and insurers will always follow the loss adjusters recommendations. If however you hire a loss assessor, the loss adjuster is entitled and will take a more adversarial position. I am not sure I am convinced of the merits of loss assessors. Has the underwriter had its own revaluation of the reinstatement value at the time of the loss? Have you? Underinsurance is rampant. Cheap way of ascertaining the reinstatement value is with a desktop service from someone like https://www.rebuildcostassessment.com. I have no connection with them but insurers will accept their valuations and they charge a lot less than a traditional valuation

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent guarantee insurance
              by jpucng62
              I don't have rent guarantee insurance - I think it is expensive - but I do always have legal cover. You can often get this as an add on either free or quite cheap and you only need to use it once to make it worthwhile! I did and it was!
              18-10-2021, 13:23 PM
            • Rent guarantee insurance
              by Uklondoner
              Any private landlords take rent guarantee insurance in order to cover their potential rent loss? My smart wife says it is easy to buy this kind of insurance but when you claim you will know it is not that easy... Please tell me your experience. Thanks...
              11-10-2021, 20:19 PM
            • Insurance Inflation Protection
              by Hooper
              I've renewed annually with the same insurer for past 6yrs. My policy states:

I've been been somewhat complacent when checking my renewals and just assumed this has been applied, like it is on all my policies. Unfortunately, now that I am making a claim it turns out that I...
              13-10-2021, 10:09 AM
              by Uklondoner
              You can do it yourself . That is the only thing they need?
              12-10-2021, 13:27 PM
              by Piffy
              I rang my Insurance Company to check that if my tenant did not pay my Insurance Company would pay the rent to me. They said that for them to pay me I would have to have served a Notice to Quit. What I need to know is, with my Landlord Insurance having Legal Insurance, will that policy also pay a solicitor...
              12-10-2021, 10:04 AM
              by Uklondoner
              I found out my post was redirected to here. I hope the post can noticed thanks...
              12-10-2021, 09:26 AM
              by Section20z
              Listen to your wife.
              I would be thrilled to hear of anyone who has successfully claimed
              11-10-2021, 21:38 PM
              by Uklondoner
              As far as I know you have to take it before the new contract starts
              11-10-2021, 20:47 PM
              by MP31
              Just took it out today for the first time as had to evict a tenant earlier this year and it took a year and a lot of money. Doesn't seem to expensive, I hope it works if I ever needed it.
              11-10-2021, 20:41 PM
            • Anyone recommend a good / honest insurance company
              by rugbyroom
              Dear Forum,

Looking at getting new insurance asap on a HMO property 8 tenants, combination of working and benefits as my current insurance company have been totally useless when I've had to make 3 claims at another property recently, and I simply wouldn't want to go through the same stress...
              09-10-2021, 10:05 AM
            Working...
            X