Who is liable please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is liable please

Hi, I have had leaks coming through my ceiling. The upstairs neighbour admitted there was a flood 2 years ago and promised to repaint the hall ceiling - but never did and has now moved. So we repainted anyway when we got a new tenant in December 2019. Recently we found another small leak coming from the ensuite area - it has happened since the new people bought upstairs - our tenant didnt mention it to us so not sure when it happened but it is since December 2019. The neighbour has taken a look and told us we have to make an insurance claim. He said he has spoken to Aviva and they told him we have to contact them. And the managing agent has told me the excess is £2500!
    Please can anyone let me know who is responsible for repairing/repainting this stain and filling any crack. I would be really grateful. Thanks

Here's pretty much the general position.
    https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...leaks-in-flats
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you jpkeates - I had calmed down a bit and the link calmed me down further - it is exactly how I feel, a bit peeved with upstairs. But luckily the damage is minor and the tenant isn't bothered by it atm. There is no damage to other possessions etc. I will get round to painting it and anything else soon.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent guarantee insurance
        by Uklondoner
        Any private landlords take rent guarantee insurance in order to cover their potential rent loss? My smart wife says it is easy to buy this kind of insurance but when you claim you will know it is not that easy... Please tell me your experience. Thanks...
        11-10-2021, 20:19 PM
      • Reply to Rent guarantee insurance
        by jpucng62
        I don't have rent guarantee insurance - I think it is expensive - but I do always have legal cover. You can often get this as an add on either free or quite cheap and you only need to use it once to make it worthwhile! I did and it was!
        18-10-2021, 13:23 PM
      • Insurance Inflation Protection
        by Hooper
        I've renewed annually with the same insurer for past 6yrs. My policy states:

I've been been somewhat complacent when checking my renewals and just assumed this has been applied, like it is on all my policies. Unfortunately, now that I am making a claim it turns out that I...
        13-10-2021, 10:09 AM
        by Uklondoner
        You can do it yourself . That is the only thing they need?
        12-10-2021, 13:27 PM
        by Piffy
        I rang my Insurance Company to check that if my tenant did not pay my Insurance Company would pay the rent to me. They said that for them to pay me I would have to have served a Notice to Quit. What I need to know is, with my Landlord Insurance having Legal Insurance, will that policy also pay a solicitor...
        12-10-2021, 10:04 AM
        by Uklondoner
        I found out my post was redirected to here. I hope the post can noticed thanks...
        12-10-2021, 09:26 AM
        by Section20z
        Listen to your wife.
        I would be thrilled to hear of anyone who has successfully claimed
        11-10-2021, 21:38 PM
        by Uklondoner
        As far as I know you have to take it before the new contract starts
        11-10-2021, 20:47 PM
        by MP31
        Just took it out today for the first time as had to evict a tenant earlier this year and it took a year and a lot of money. Doesn't seem to expensive, I hope it works if I ever needed it.
        11-10-2021, 20:41 PM
      Working...
      X