Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5+ months and still insurance won't give me any payout / decision

Dear Forum

Last year I had 2 tenants from hell, who used my property as a place to sell drugs from and basically wanted to remove all the other tenants from the licensed HMO.

They did this by a combination of violence and by constantly causing malcious damage to the property, such as cutting cables to microwaves - ripping off doors - smashing up bathroom - repeatedly removing toilet seats and setting of fire alarms etc etc.

I informed my insurance early on into these issues, but with no means to evict due to Covid, I explained that it would be a pointless process of going into the property to carry out any major repairs until the 2 tenants were evicted, which thankfully happened a few days before Xmas last year, but even though a loss adjuster visited before Xmas, I have no idea yet when or what they will be paying for.

I have had to supply so much information / photo's etc and had endless reasons that my insurance was invalid, such as I never declared it to be a HMO, (but was fully declared and insured as such) or I never done checks on tenants employment, which I did, but I could have tenants that were employed / unemployed.

I've been stuck in a situation whereby I can't afford to carry out repairs and replace the damage furniture within 5 rooms that were trashed along with a kitchen and bathroom so not been able to get a rental income, but I'm looking to sell on the property at a loss to another LL.

My questions are how long would it normally take to get the loss adjuster report or any decision to payment and when I renewed my policy 4th January I took out loss of rental insurance cover, would the fact that I can't rent out rooms due to the insurance company delaying their payout / answers, be a good enough reason to make a claim fro loss of rent.

Thanks for your thoughts.

How did you think rent guarantee insurance would work out? What you describe is what you expect.

Next time pick better tenants and forget the insurance.

Comment

I highly doubt they will cover you for losses when you don't have T's otherwise everyone would take out insurance on empty properties and claim loss of rent. If you previously had this policy then it is different and they should be paying this element to you (based on the criteria) on taking out the policy.

If you can not fix the property, sell it, in the meantime you should be chasing the insurance company in regards to settling the claim one way or another.

Comment

Make a formal complaint using the insurance company complaint process. Use the threat of the financial ombudsman. The company have 8 weeks to deal with it after which you can go to the ombudsman. Info is available on the FOS website.

Comment

1. The Which Report website gives advice on how to claim against insurance companies :

2. Some sunday newspapers have a column which offers help to readers ( consumers ).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Leak to downstairs flat
            by Section20z
            Of course, you could perhaps argue that they didn't take adequate action to mitigate the damage or you could claim off the buildings insurance but to be honest for £750 tax deductible I would write it off as business expense ...
            18-06-2021, 20:54 PM
          • Leak to downstairs flat
            by CenturionX
            Hi there.

I was recently notified by my agent that the downstairs flat had contacted my tenants that there was a leak from my flat so a plumber was sent the same day to investigate, this was on the 4th June and they repaired the leak temporarily while awaiting parts. A few days later the...
            18-06-2021, 20:21 PM
          • Reply to Leak to downstairs flat
            by JK0
            Not really, but what can you do?

This happens to me all the time having ground floor flats. Tenants never report anything until the dripping starts to damage their own things.
            18-06-2021, 20:52 PM
          • How to pay for insurance?
            by thecrazy1
            I am a freeholder of a converted house. I am selling my flat and retaining half the freehold and i am also sorting out the insurance for the building. The renewal is next week but the new owners do not move in until the end of the month.

If I pay for the insurance upfront for the year and...
            14-06-2021, 13:57 PM
          • Reply to How to pay for insurance?
            by Gordon999
            You may be able to claim back the the upstairs flat contribution to annual insurance ( paid in advance by you ) through the sale completion statement . But you should discuss with your conveyancing soicitor first.
            15-06-2021, 14:21 PM
            by thecrazy1
            It is a bloody mess! I am keeping a share of the freehold because, as you say my share is being transferred to the new owners. However, as I have the entire freehold and the leasee in the basement doesn't want to purchase a share of the freehold or extend. therefore, I will still have a share.
            14-06-2021, 21:31 PM
            by ram
            Simple, you wont own the flat on the1st July, therefore you must get from the new owner pre payment for the cost of insurance. all this should have been known and accounted for ages ago.
            And why when you have sold are you keeping half the freehold. Your frreehold portion should be assigned ( for
            14-06-2021, 19:58 PM
            by thecrazy1
            Many thanks. there are two flats but one is a one bed basement and the other is a two bedroom over two floors and in the original lease for the basement, it states that the basement pays one third and the upstairs pays two thirds.

Until now, we as the freeholder and owner of the top floor...
            14-06-2021, 15:54 PM
            by ram
            How many flats are there ? -- 3 ?
            Each flat in that case pays one third. ( or one quarter - if 4 flats etc.)
            Leaseholders re imburse the freeholder, so why was the money not collected previously.
            You set the expences 1 year in advance for all out goings, and that includes the insurance.
            14-06-2021, 15:31 PM
          • 5+ months and still insurance won't give me any payout / decision
            by rugbyroom
            Dear Forum

Last year I had 2 tenants from hell, who used my property as a place to sell drugs from and basically wanted to remove all the other tenants from the licensed HMO.

They did this by a combination of violence and by constantly causing malcious damage to the property,...
            02-06-2021, 10:52 AM
          Working...
          X